DarkaneRules
9 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- After three days of training camp practices, the Green Bay Packers are taking Tuesday off.

It's a small sample size, but before they get back on the field Wednesday morning, here's a look at what we've learned about them so far.

After looking at the offensive side of the ball, it's time to examine the defense:

Youth movement: It's clear the Packers have moved on from the days of having three, 330-plus pound defensive linemen up front.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

Everything they said would happen is happening. The fans called the Hyde move early. That move has paid off. This kid is the real deal. His speed is what separates him from the other free safety candidates. He is a rangey guy as they would say.

Elsewhere, we also knew the line would get lighter but also attack more. The key for them is to "get off their damn blocks" which became such an issue as last season wore on. We are all expecting more from this group.

Question for you guys. Do you like us getting lighter on the line and getting away from the base 3-4 on first down routine?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann
9 years ago

Everything they said would happen is happening. The fans called the Hyde move early. That move has paid off. This kid is the real deal. His speed is what separates him from the other free safety candidates. He is a rangey guy as they would say.

Elsewhere, we also knew the line would get lighter but also attack more. The key for them is to "get off their damn blocks" which became such an issue as last season wore on. We are all expecting more from this group.

Question for you guys. Do you like us getting lighter on the line and getting away from the base 3-4 on first down routine?

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

No. We're going to get blown off the LoS in short yardage.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
9 years ago

Everything they said would happen is happening. The fans called the Hyde move early.

Hey, it isn't just pretty faces and swinging dicks in here, there's some intelligence too!!!!!

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 years ago

I want heat on the QB. What pisses me off is Dom Capers 3 man rush in critical situations, repeatedly. The man does not seem to learn it was not working. You can put 3 Gods on that d-line, and if Dom keeps doing that crap, we are going to get repeatedly toasted. It don't even seem that hard to figure out, but ESPN and NFL.com don't have those stats, so I guess it isn't happening.

steveishere
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

because having 330lb tubbos out there prevented that from happening right?
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Jolly was really something for first quarter and a half before he started breaking down. It was great to see. Someone else is going to have to make those plays this year.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann
9 years ago

because having 330lb tubbos out there prevented that from happening right?

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Remember the Mike Sherman years, before Grady Jackson fell out of the sky?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
warhawk
9 years ago

I want heat on the QB. What pisses me off is Dom Capers 3 man rush in critical situations, repeatedly. The man does not seem to learn it was not working. You can put 3 Gods on that d-line, and if Dom keeps doing that crap, we are going to get repeatedly toasted. It don't even seem that hard to figure out, but ESPN and NFL.com don't have those stats, so I guess it isn't happening.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Everything I see this is not how the Packers are going to do business this year. I hear "aggressive", I see Peppers and Mathews, I see PRESSURE. With Mathews, Peppers, Daniels, and, Jones on the field I see QB's looking for some dirt to go down on vs. sitting back there picking us apart. I will say if Capers does go that direction at times with Hyde and Hayward on the field I expect it might just work now. Not a big fan of the 3 man rush but if you have players back there with a clue it would help.

What I see now is the personnel to go either way because you can't do the same thing every time or teams will figure it out much easier than if the defense has the players to go a couple different ways.

Depends on who your playing against too. Cutler? Go after him 99% of the time vs going 3 man rush. Some other less experienced QB without the strong arm? Like I say in that case if we have Hayward, Hyde, Shields, Williams, Burnett back there I can see making the call. I actually think it might just work. I know, however, based on history it is a stretch.

What I'm fired up about is I see what Capers has wanted to do in the past but now I see some players that he has who could actually pull it off. No matter what the scheme is you have to have guys that can "get there" whether it's going after the QB or loading the backend. I see it getting closer to what he needs to make it happen either way.

"The train is leaving the station."
hardrocker950
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Agree with you - 3 man just doesn't cut it. It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't the call on nearly every play. I want to see some different looks and a variety of ways to put the pressure on. Force some bad throws and you will see more turnovers.

I truly believe if the guys up front put some fear in the QB, the secondary will take care of business. Pretty talented group in coverage.
OlHoss1884
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

It sn't just a matter of size, though. It has to do with leverage, getting low, and in some cases shooting the gaps. It's certainly an advantage to have beef up there on the goal line but not if it's guys wo tend to get high and lose leverage *cough* Pickett *cough*

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Fan Shout
dfosterf (now) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (51m) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (15h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.