TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
He must of got tired of reading the Ted Thompson extension thread and decided to sign to end our pain and suffering.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

I held out some remote hope that some of the talk that he was burned out and potentially ready to step aside was true, but knew this was the likely outcome.

Of course, I'm disappointed. While others are celebrating the fact we might now win more division titles, I cringe knowing we'll likely never sniff another SB under Aaron. A shame. Just a shame. 3 straight years of playoff failure, two ending in embarrassing fashion. The D is terrible and has been for several years while Ted Thompson pumps high pick after high pick into it. Not sure what he did to earn an extension...the SB honeymoon is long since over but I may be downplaying the idea that many fans were still reveling in the Bart Starr days during the entire 70's and 80's so the one in '10 will likely keep fans placated for a few more decades. Truly bummed.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Poor us making it to the playoffs every year. I fail to see what fucking team wins it every year and who that GM is who we can replace Ted with him.

uffda udfa
9 years ago

Poor us making it to the playoffs every year. I fail to see what fucking team wins it every year and who that GM is who we can replace Ted with him.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

That's the issue... you think Ted Thompson is responsible for why we're in the playoffs every year. It's because we have the best QB in football... the team with the best QB in the NFL SHOULD be in the playoffs EVERY year.

You could say Ted Thompson gets credit because he drafted Aaron, however, he's coasted on that and has completely FAILED to add around him properly especially on D.

It truly amazes me the kudos Ted Thompson gets on the back of Aaron Rodgers. If you're the star employee at your place of business your boss also gets the credit, but you and the others who work with you and anyone who is actually paying attention knows it ain't your boss carrying the place...it's YOU. Aaron is the star employee and Ted Thompson is the boss. Just sad how little some get it.

Aaron goes down and this team can barely hang with the dregs of the NFL. And I do mean barely. Yes, most teams who lose their starting QB aren't anywhere near as good, but we were horrible when he went out... that should clue you in to what a wonderful job Ted Thompson has done building this team. Aaron Rodgers covers a multitude of sins.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
9 years ago

Aaron goes down and this team can barely hang with the dregs of the NFL. And I do mean barely. Yes, most teams who lose their starting QB aren't anywhere near as good, but we were horrible when he went out... that should clue you in to what a wonderful job Ted Thompson has done building this team. Aaron Rodgers covers a multitude of sins.

And Aaron was one hell of a draft pick when you are sitting on a first ballot hall of famer with several good years still in him. But yeah, I'm sure to you, Rodgers just fell in his lap. But he still took him with many defensive needs.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

And Aaron was one hell of a draft pick when you are sitting on a first ballot hall of famer with several good years still in him. But yeah, I'm sure to you, Rodgers just fell in his lap. But he still took him with many defensive needs.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

To say he didn't fall in his lap would be a total mischaracterization of the situation. Go back and look at the ESPN broadcast of that moment. It was not a surprise whatsoever we took him. None. A potential 1st overall falls to 24 and your current QB has been carrying on about retiring. Yeah, that was a real tough call on TT's part. He did make it but let's not get crazy about what happened there.

How this team is going one and done in the playoffs and getting slapped around with the best QB in football 3 years in a row is the question you should be asking instead of lauding a GM for making a no brainer pick and riding him to the playoffs every year. Wow.

This team should be in the NFC Championship EVERY year, at least, not just the playoffs. Just not enough TEAM in Green bay. Just Aaron and a brutal defense that Ted Thompson has spent pick after pick after pick on to improve and it is STILL .... TERRIBLE. Yet, somehow, that is not TT's fault and he bears no responsibility for the playoff exits or the brutal defense. Cherry picking at it's finest. I honestly don't understand this joy over his extension...it's embarrassing, really.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
9 years ago
Not too many MASH units make the NFCCG, Uffda. The Niners are chock full of Top 15 picks. I would rather be a playoff team every year than have a decade of fielding dog shit. The Packers can make a run at Super Bowl every couple of years if things fall right for them. Ted Thompson has a lot to do with that, whether or not you think it is true or not.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Not too many MASH units make the NFCCG, Uffda. The Niners are chock full of Top 15 picks. I would rather be a playoff team every year than have a decade of fielding dog shit. The Packers can make a run at Super Bowl every couple of years if things fall right for them. Ted Thompson has a lot to do with that, whether or not you think it is true or not.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

It is true but ONLY because of Aaron Rodgers. No other reason. None.

Why so many can't get their heads around that baffles me. I think they really do but just like celebrating things for the sake of celebrating because they know Ted Thompson was GM when we won one so this must be a good thing.

Enjoy the division titles and playoff failures...I'm almost certain that's what you're going to see over the next several seasons minus the fact we might be caught and passed by other teams in the division who are actually teams and not just fronts for their greatest of all time candidate QB.

EDIT: Thank you, Tom Silverstein! At least someone is noticing...

Green Bay — Only four teams in the National Football League have used a first-round pick in each of the last three seasons on a defensive player.

Only one of those teams has gotten almost nothing out of it.

---You can guess which one... Hint: He recently signed an unspecified multi year deal because he drafted Aaron Rodgers almost a decade ago.
UserPostedImage

sschind
9 years ago

Enjoy the division titles and playoff failures...I'm almost certain that's what you're going to see over the next several seasons minus the fact we might be caught and passed by other teams in the division who are actually teams and not just fronts for their greatest of all time candidate QB.

Before you said the Packers would not sniff another SB as long as Ted Thompson was around now you are only "almost certain" I knew you would come around eventually.

uffda udfa
9 years ago

Before you said the Packers would not sniff another SB as long as Ted Thompson was around now you are only "almost certain" I knew you would come around eventually.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

No one knows the future... I would love to flash forward to the end of Aaron's career, and assuming we have no more SB appearances, what the take would be here? I think this has been touched on in the 17 page Ted Thompson thread but I really do. What excuses would be made, then, or would any be made? I have a feeling that the general consensus would be that "at least we got one" and "it's hard winning a championship, so we should be thankful"...yes, true, but a waste of what could've been. Why wait until then when you can see what's likely coming.

Why celebrate being "good"... greatness is just something that is not gunned for but is unexpected and a bonus? We have a "chance"... Man, Dumb and Dumber right through my mind.

The sad thing is we'll likely never get to see what another GM would've built around the greatest of all time. We'll just have to wonder what could've been.

UserPostedImage

9 years ago

I am confused. Do you mean those 3 other teams in the NFC North that were handed the division on a silver platter last year, but were still unable to win the division at a measly 9-7? Those "actual" teams?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.