Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:50:51 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,714
Applause Received: 665

Rob Demovsky wrote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. — If JC Tretter can handle the likes of defensive tackles B.J. Raji and Josh Boyd in practice, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy thinks his new starting center will be able to handle anything.

But so far in the first two days of full-pads training camp practices, Raji has proven too much for Tretter to handle.

"If you ever want to get a center ready, B.J. Raji and Josh Boyd are your guys because they definitely present a challenge to covering up a center," McCarthy said after Wednesday's practice.

Is Raji that good? Or is Tretter NOT that good?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:54:16 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Hell yeah he does. He is only a few practices in. He'll need every single possible rep. He's got Seattle week 1. Good news... He's got great talent around him with our two starting guards.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline musccy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:05:49 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This is the 2014 version of last year's back up qb debacle, only it could be worse. I've read the same stuff...Raji looks great. He's going against guys who have yet to play a snap of center in the nfl...do you really think he rediscovered himself or the more discouraging news is true?

I like Ted a lot, but I see his gamble at center hamstringing (no pun intended) this year's team. It has disaster written all over it.
Offline Tezzy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:30:24 AM(UTC)
Tezzy

United States

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 81

Not writing anything off yet on this decision. Concern is always high when changing centers. Luckily he has Rodgers behind him and Sitton next to him, he has plenty of support there to help get through the growing pains.
On top of every beard grows a man.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:45:56 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Coaches were pretty high on him last season. It'll be interesting to see if that materializes to anything positive.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Online steveishere  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:46:56 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Lol seriously? We're talking about a handful of plays that have happened in 2 practices. I'll wait till I actually see the guy on the field before I make any big judgements.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 7/31/2014(UTC)
Offline StarrMax1  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:34:03 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

The usual in pre-season is that the starters don't get a whole lot of playing time until the 3rd Game.

I'm thinking the O-line is going to need all the reps they can get together before the 1st game of the season.

Hope to see them in the game working with at least the 2nd team for awhile the 1st 2 games.

Not going to get to worried yet, Sitton and Lang are going to be able to help Tretter.

Let's see how he is after they all get a preseason game under their belts.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:42:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Lol seriously? We're talking about a handful of plays that have happened in 2 practices. I'll wait till I actually see the guy on the field before I make any big judgements.

Why ya gotta pee in people's cheerios man? We waited MONTHS to have something, anything football related. Let us analyze the crap out of two plays until we get more substance. Dang dude... daaaaang!!
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 7/31/2014(UTC), macbob on 7/31/2014(UTC), earthquake on 7/31/2014(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:15:27 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

I need to see him in a game before jumping to conclusions.
wpr on 7/31/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:33:23 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,375

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
I need to see him in a game before jumping to conclusions.

http://www.google.com/ur...n5c7ar-3BudDilF4TZsXZuzQ

Sorry Porky, it had to be done!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 6:02:54 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

JSO

Quote:
C JC Tretter decisioned B.J. Raji and Carlos Gray in the one on ones. Later, Josh Sitton called it Tretter's best day of camp.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline musccy  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 7:05:36 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

If my max bench was 100 pounds and I max out at 110 today, I had my best day. Still doesn't mean I should be picking any bar fights.

I hope I'm eating crow on this later on, but I'm still really worried about how little experience is at center right now.
Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 7:49:46 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
If my max bench was 100 pounds and I max out at 110 today, I had my best day. Still doesn't mean I should be picking any bar fights.

I hope I'm eating crow on this later on, but I'm still really worried about how little experience is at center right now.

When I saw the actual score of how many times he had been beat in that one on one drill, I was much less concerned.
Online Mucky Tundra  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 486

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
When I saw the actual score of how many times he had been beat in that one on one drill, I was much less concerned.

Hm? Is there an article that has a runny tally?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Online steveishere  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 3:30:50 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Im not saying there shouldnt be some measure of concern because hes a guy we need to play well but going panic mode over 2 practices is a bit premature. He was undefeated last practice in 1 on 1 so should we just assume hes awesome now?
Offline nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 3:49:28 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Linsley's out. lol
Offline DarkaneRules  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 3:52:51 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Linsley's injury I pray is not as severe as Jared's. If it is, the center situation this year could become the backup quarterback situation of last year.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#18 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 6:59:04 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
Linsley's injury I pray is not as severe as Jared's. If it is, the center situation this year could become the backup quarterback situation of last year.

I think it is ridiculous to say any team would not experience an enormous drop off if they had their 3rd QB in.

Even with Rodgers injury, if the rest of the team was relatively healthy, I think the Packers win 11-12 games.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:18:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Hm? Is there an article that has a runny tally?

Demovsky

Quote:
One-on-one reps: The most competitive drill in training camp is almost always the one-on-one pass-rushing/pass-blocking drill and given that they did not do the drill on Friday, there's a good chance they will do so tonight.

Here's a look at the best records in the drill so far:

Offensive linemen: T.J. Lang (4-0), Bryan Bulaga (6-1), Corey Linsley (6-1), David Bakhtiari (5-1), Derek Sherrod (5-1), JC Tretter (5-2), Garth Gerhart (5-2) and Don Barclay (5-3).

Pass-rushers: Mike Daniels (6-2), Datone Jones (6-4), Mike Neal (3-3), Julius Peppers (2-2), B.J. Raji (4-6).

Offline uffda udfa  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:32:10 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post

Even with Rodgers injury, if the rest of the team was relatively healthy, I think the Packers win 11-12 games.

Not in all in one season, though. Big Grin This is dangerously close to p2w territory. Packers barely hung with the worst teams in the NFL. That is what they were last year minus Rodgers. There is NO reason to believe they would win 11-12 games without him... in fact, winning 11-12 games is what you expect WITH Rodgers.
Ted Thompson has gambled mightily on the C position this season. His record ain't very good when he does that. Jeff Saturday might be an upgrade to what we have to offer from that position this season. We ain't winning diddly with a brutal C.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Online steveishere  
#21 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 4:05:33 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Not in all in one season, though. Big Grin This is dangerously close to p2w territory. Packers barely hung with the worst teams in the NFL. That is what they were last year minus Rodgers. There is NO reason to believe they would win 11-12 games without him... in fact, winning 11-12 games is what you expect WITH Rodgers.

Ted Thompson has gambled mightily on the C position this season. His record ain't very good when he does that. Jeff Saturday might be an upgrade to what we have to offer from that position this season. We ain't winning diddly with a brutal C.

I don't think he was saying 11 wins in an entire season without Rodgers. 11 wins wouldn't have been too crazy last year though. They played close games that they could have won against Chicago, Minnesota and Pittsburgh
Dexter_Sinister on 8/2/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#22 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:01:56 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I don't think he was saying 11 wins in an entire season without Rodgers. 11 wins wouldn't have been too crazy last year though. They played close games that they could have won against Chicago, Minnesota and Pittsburgh

You could throw Atlanta and Dallas in on the other side for balance sake to say they easily could've lost those games.

I hope that is what he meant but that is still "out there" to think we could've or should've won 11 or 12...I would stand by what I said, again, that even last season we would've been fortunate to be 11-5 or 12-4 with Aaron for a full season.

After a 2-2 start, 12-4 would've required going 10-2 the rest of the way. 10-2 with our back up QB? Not with the backups we had last year. Maybe, if we had a Favre/Brunell situation.

It is hard for me to understand where some are coming from on this board. The unbridled optimism leads me to believe many feel we should be winning SB's. We've not been close the last 3 years so it's not TT's fault or MM's fault or anyone's fault but bad injury luck? Is that what the conclusion is? Ted Thompson has built a juggernaut that has only been derailed by injuries? I'm going to guess injuries are the excuse because in another thread when the subject of the Niners owning us for beating us 4 in a row was brought up that was balked at posts were typed that said we weren't owned? We just had bad injury luck.

We do have the best QB and should be winning championshipS, plural, ...but we don't. Joe Whitt said in an article from today or yesterday that the best team we had was the one that went out in Round 1 at AZ. No defense...again. It's been how many years and it's still the defense. How many picks on D since then? How many times are injuries going to be the excuse before the realization hits that we're really not that good of a team?

As for Tretter...he scares the heck out of me. If he fails we are hosed. Garth Gerhart or a late round rook from Ohio State that is now hurt are the options? Lang will probably end up there with Barclay going to guard before it's all said and done.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline DakotaT  
#23 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:26:02 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,375

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post

It is hard for me to understand where some are coming from on this board. The unbridled optimism leads me to believe many feel we should be winning SB's. We've not been close the last 3 years so it's not TT's fault or MM's fault or anyone's fault but bad injury luck? Is that what the conclusion is? Ted Thompson has built a juggernaut that has only been derailed by injuries? I'm going to guess injuries are the excuse because in another thread when the subject of the Niners owning us for beating us 4 in a row was brought up that was balked at posts were typed that said we weren't owned? We just had bad injury luck.

Uffda, why don't you take some time off, and let the boys have their unbridled optimism until we actually lose a game. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be to Seattle right off the bat. Then you can come back and start pissing on everyone's cheerios. Until then, training camp is about optimism, so kindly STFU with your pessimism for a while. Can you handle that Sweetheart? Thanks, maybe I won't get so many PM's about the new guy being a dick.
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#24 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:54:16 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Uffda, why don't you take some time off, and let the boys have their unbridled optimism until we actually lose a game. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be to Seattle right off the bat. Then you can come back and start pissing on everyone's cheerios. Until then, training camp is about optimism, so kindly STFU with your pessimism for a while. Can you handle that Sweetheart? Thanks, maybe I won't get so many PM's about the new guy being a dick.

A person who view things objectively is not a dick. A person who drinks the koolaid...well, you know what the label would be if it wasn't affixed to followers of a football team. There are many people who are "optimistic" tonight who don't know a single thing about football and you couldn't tell them anything different if you tried.

Optimism is great. I am optimistic. I'm one of the few who thinks the Packers can win the opener in Seattle. Optimism is NOT saying STUPID things like...we should've/could've easily won 11-12 games after Aaron went down. We were winless for 5 straight and then eeked out two 1 point wins. That is the extent of what happened after Aaron went down. My objectivity regarding LAST season has nothing to do whatsoever with this year. I'm not a Ted Thompson fan...will never be. I'm not a fan of the idea of rolling at C with what we're rolling with. Drafting a 6th rounder as a backup plan shows you Ted Thompson was concerned Tretter might not be the answer...so to counter the fear Tretter may not be the guy we're relying on a 6th rounder. Makes good sense. I know all of a sudden this draft was about "winning now" Ted Thompson said so so it must be true.

Why would YOU get PM's about me? That's pretty ridiculous first off and second those cowards should be PM'ing me if they have a problem. I recall you enjoying the dust up that seemed to follow my arrival. I guess that only applies to things that don't step on your toes. It's cool when it's others but when it's yours it's just gone too far? Wow.

If you don't like my opinions just think what it must be like to be me? You have ONE guy you think is a "dick"..."plant"..."troll"... there's an entire board full of you guys for me. I handle myself just fine. Why would one guy get to you so much? No one should. You should feel confident in your opinion and if you did I wouldn't bother you at all. The problem is...you don't feel confident and it isn't very much fun trying to feel confident when someone is giving you reason not to be. Does that pretty much cover it?

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:57:29 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

This pissing match stops now. If you wanna piss around, go to the back alley. Comment outside of the topic in this thread, you will be suspended. This is about JC Tretter and the amount he has yet to prove.

Will Tretter prove he's got it? If not, what Center's could the Packers get as insurance?

UserPostedImage
earthquake on 8/3/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed