Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:50:51 PM(UTC)
Rob Demovsky said:
GREEN BAY, Wis. — If JC Tretter can handle the likes of defensive tackles B.J. Raji and Josh Boyd in practice, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy thinks his new starting center will be able to handle anything.

But so far in the first two days of full-pads training camp practices, Raji has proven too much for Tretter to handle.

"If you ever want to get a center ready, B.J. Raji and Josh Boyd are your guys because they definitely present a challenge to covering up a center," McCarthy said after Wednesday's practice.

Is Raji that good? Or is Tretter NOT that good?
DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:54:16 PM(UTC)
Hell yeah he does. He is only a few practices in. He'll need every single possible rep. He's got Seattle week 1. Good news... He's got great talent around him with our two starting guards.
musccy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:05:49 AM(UTC)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This is the 2014 version of last year's back up qb debacle, only it could be worse. I've read the same stuff...Raji looks great. He's going against guys who have yet to play a snap of center in the nfl...do you really think he rediscovered himself or the more discouraging news is true?

I like Ted a lot, but I see his gamble at center hamstringing (no pun intended) this year's team. It has disaster written all over it.
Tezzy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:30:24 AM(UTC)
Not writing anything off yet on this decision. Concern is always high when changing centers. Luckily he has Rodgers behind him and Sitton next to him, he has plenty of support there to help get through the growing pains.
Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:45:56 AM(UTC)
Coaches were pretty high on him last season. It'll be interesting to see if that materializes to anything positive.
steveishere  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:46:56 AM(UTC)
Lol seriously? We're talking about a handful of plays that have happened in 2 practices. I'll wait till I actually see the guy on the field before I make any big judgements.
StarrMax1  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:34:03 AM(UTC)
The usual in pre-season is that the starters don't get a whole lot of playing time until the 3rd Game.

I'm thinking the O-line is going to need all the reps they can get together before the 1st game of the season.

Hope to see them in the game working with at least the 2nd team for awhile the 1st 2 games.

Not going to get to worried yet, Sitton and Lang are going to be able to help Tretter.

Let's see how he is after they all get a preseason game under their belts.
Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:42:14 AM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
Lol seriously? We're talking about a handful of plays that have happened in 2 practices. I'll wait till I actually see the guy on the field before I make any big judgements.

Why ya gotta pee in people's cheerios man? We waited MONTHS to have something, anything football related. Let us analyze the crap out of two plays until we get more substance. Dang dude... daaaaang!!
porky88  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:15:27 PM(UTC)
I need to see him in a game before jumping to conclusions.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:33:23 PM(UTC)
porky88 said: Go to Quoted Post
I need to see him in a game before jumping to conclusions.

http://www.google.com/ur...n5c7ar-3BudDilF4TZsXZuzQ

Sorry Porky, it had to be done!
nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 6:02:54 AM(UTC)
JSO

Quote:
C JC Tretter decisioned B.J. Raji and Carlos Gray in the one on ones. Later, Josh Sitton called it Tretter's best day of camp.
musccy  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 7:05:36 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

If my max bench was 100 pounds and I max out at 110 today, I had my best day. Still doesn't mean I should be picking any bar fights.

I hope I'm eating crow on this later on, but I'm still really worried about how little experience is at center right now.
nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 7:49:46 AM(UTC)
musccy said: Go to Quoted Post
If my max bench was 100 pounds and I max out at 110 today, I had my best day. Still doesn't mean I should be picking any bar fights.

I hope I'm eating crow on this later on, but I'm still really worried about how little experience is at center right now.

When I saw the actual score of how many times he had been beat in that one on one drill, I was much less concerned.
Mucky Tundra  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
When I saw the actual score of how many times he had been beat in that one on one drill, I was much less concerned.

Hm? Is there an article that has a runny tally?
steveishere  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 3:30:50 PM(UTC)
Im not saying there shouldnt be some measure of concern because hes a guy we need to play well but going panic mode over 2 practices is a bit premature. He was undefeated last practice in 1 on 1 so should we just assume hes awesome now?
nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 3:49:28 PM(UTC)
Linsley's out. lol
DarkaneRules  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 3:52:51 PM(UTC)
Linsley's injury I pray is not as severe as Jared's. If it is, the center situation this year could become the backup quarterback situation of last year.
Dexter_Sinister  
#18 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 6:59:04 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
Linsley's injury I pray is not as severe as Jared's. If it is, the center situation this year could become the backup quarterback situation of last year.

I think it is ridiculous to say any team would not experience an enormous drop off if they had their 3rd QB in.

Even with Rodgers injury, if the rest of the team was relatively healthy, I think the Packers win 11-12 games.
nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:18:32 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra said: Go to Quoted Post
Hm? Is there an article that has a runny tally?

Demovsky

Quote:
One-on-one reps: The most competitive drill in training camp is almost always the one-on-one pass-rushing/pass-blocking drill and given that they did not do the drill on Friday, there's a good chance they will do so tonight.

Here's a look at the best records in the drill so far:

Offensive linemen: T.J. Lang (4-0), Bryan Bulaga (6-1), Corey Linsley (6-1), David Bakhtiari (5-1), Derek Sherrod (5-1), JC Tretter (5-2), Garth Gerhart (5-2) and Don Barclay (5-3).

Pass-rushers: Mike Daniels (6-2), Datone Jones (6-4), Mike Neal (3-3), Julius Peppers (2-2), B.J. Raji (4-6).

uffda udfa  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:32:10 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister said: Go to Quoted Post

Even with Rodgers injury, if the rest of the team was relatively healthy, I think the Packers win 11-12 games.

Not in all in one season, though. [grin1] This is dangerously close to p2w territory. Packers barely hung with the worst teams in the NFL. That is what they were last year minus Rodgers. There is NO reason to believe they would win 11-12 games without him... in fact, winning 11-12 games is what you expect WITH Rodgers.
Ted Thompson has gambled mightily on the C position this season. His record ain't very good when he does that. Jeff Saturday might be an upgrade to what we have to offer from that position this season. We ain't winning diddly with a brutal C.

Rss Feed