nerdmann
9 years ago
PFT 

The Packers and the Packers Hall of Fame are making a joint announcement regarding Favre on Monday afternoon. Packers CEO Mark Murphy and Packers chairman emeritus Bob Harlan are expected to speak with Favre joining by phone.

While they didn’t tip their cap to the nature of the announcement, we’d expect it involves Favre joining the other Packer greats already enshrined in the institution. Favre’s entry would make for a splashy way to reopen the Packers Hall, which is currently being renovated with a planned reopening in 2015.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
9 years ago

It'll be interesting if they're retiring his number (after saying they aren't currently doing that). I wonder if it a trick all along, or if publicly saying they wouldn't (or fearing booing) somehow got both sides to encouraged to do it after all.
UserPostedImage
porky88
9 years ago

It'll be interesting if they're retiring his number (after saying they aren't currently doing that). I wonder if it a trick all along, or if publicly saying they wouldn't (or fearing booing) somehow got both sides to encouraged to do it after all.

Originally Posted by: beast 

The team will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the 1996 Green Bay Packers in 2016. You can’t celebrate that team without Brett Favre. The problem is you don't want Favre's presence taking away from the rest of the players.

By inducting Favre into the Packers Hall of Fame, they can bring him back to Green Bay in the summer of '15, and retire his jersey in the regular-season. When he returns in 2016, it will be his third trip back to Green Bay, so it won't be a national story anymore. This’ll allow the organization to focus on the entire ‘96 squad.

In other words, get the media shitstorm out of the way in 2015, so you can do right by the ‘96 squad a year later.

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I am all for Brett Favre being in the Packers Hall of Fame, just not too warm with the number retirement business. That's not because Favre wasn't legend enough or anything like that. I just feel retiring numbers is foolish. Take it out of circulation for a decade or something to honor the player, but to retire it forever? I just don't see the honor in that. It is too much out of sight, out of mind. How many know #1? I bet more would know if someone were permitted to wear it because that would be a "fun fact" or a "did you know" type thing. Thus, bringing more honor to the number bearing of years past.

I wonder if they'll do the ceremoy during Packers/Vikings?

I'm pleased to announce that I will be returning to Green Bay, Wisconsin in 2015 for induction into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and retirement of my jersey.

It was a tremendous honor to play 16 years for the Green Bay Packers. Now to have my name placed among others such as Starr, Hornung, Kramer, Taylor, Lambeau, Nitschke, Lombardi, Davis, White and Hutson is a special honor that I share with all of my teammates and coaches, and that would not have been possible but for the foresight of Ron Wolf, the greatest GM In the history of the NFL.

I'm truly looking forward to celebrating and sharing this special moment with all of the great fans of the Green Bay Packers.

Go Packers!

Brett

Brett Favre wrote:

Anyone else notice the dig at Ted Thompson there?? o_O drama!!
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

I am all for Brett Favre being in the Packers Hall of Fame, just not too warm with the number retirement business. That's not because Favre wasn't legend enough or anything like that. I just feel retiring numbers is foolish.
!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The retired numbers are on display in the ring, they're on display in the atrium, so it's not as if it'll go unnoticed.

As much of an ass clown as he was, his play and impact for the team, to me, is at least as deserving for having a number retired as Reggie and arguably Bart. To me it's a spiteful omission not to retire him...even though if anyone is worthy of a spiteful omission, it is Burt.
sschind
9 years ago

The retired numbers are on display in the ring, they're on display in the atrium, so it's not as if it'll go unnoticed.

As much of an ass clown as he was, his play and impact for the team, to me, is at least as deserving for having a number retired as Reggie and arguably Bart. To me it's a spiteful omission not to retire him...even though if anyone is worthy of a spiteful omission, it is Burt.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

There are a lot of players that mean or meant a lot to their team on the field with their performance and many of them may have been better than Favre but very few players ever meant as much to their team or to the league in an all around way as Favre.

He may not have been as good of a leader as Bart Starr or even as good of a QB and he may not have been the biggest piece of the Packers rebirth in the 90's (Reggie White?) but lets face it, he was the Green Bay Packers for a long time and for a long time he was the NFL.

When NFL fans think Packers teams they will probably always think the Lombardi years but those were just that, teams. Yes there were a lot of good players as individuals but I think people remember the teams first. With the Packers of the Ron Wolf era that is not so much the case. The Packers of the 90s were Brett Favre, Reggie White and a bunch of other guys. Love him or hate him, TD master or interception king, hero or goat, very few players brought as much attention to the NFL or their team as Favre. The only ones who I can think of off the top of my head was Namath and maybe P Manning now. I don't mean that there aren't stars who garner attention there certainly were and still are (Rice, Payton, LT for a few more recent ones) but these guys were superstars on the field and comparatively quiet off the field. No one made people wonder "what did he do today" as much as or for as long as Favre did. I also think his style of play brought more young viewers to the NFL than almost anyone else.

There are probably better Packers players who have donned the uniform over the years but IMO the face of the Green Bay Packers, for now, is Brett Favre. White and Starr certainly deserve consideration but I don't think any of them garnered the recognition or the attention that Favre got.

He deserves to be in the Packers HOF at the soonest possible moment and he deserves to be a unanimous first ballot NFL hall of famer and if you are not opposed to retired numbers on some metaphysical spiritual other worldly plane [grin1] [grin1] [grin1] he deserve to have has number as a Green Bay Packer retired.

And I don't even particularly like the guy.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Anyone else notice the dig at Ted Thompson there?? o_O drama!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Not only that, but him having to scoop the Packers' announcement of the event? Clearly the team wanted to announce it Monday. But Favre had to get the word out first!

He's a diva, he's all about himself, and he CLEARLY still wants to stick it to Ted, Mike and Aaron. Let him stop acting like a scorned little girl, then honor him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Seen something on Twitter about the Vikings retiring Favre's number first just to twist the knife a bit, lol. That would be funny.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.