uffda udfa
9 years ago
B U S T? This guy is another disappointment as a high draft pick on defense. He was drafted to be an Aldon Smith type and he's been on the field the equivalent of what Aldon Smith has been off it... not very good.

His non descript performance tonight along with his hum drum TC should be sending warning alarms. This a major problem for our defense if it hopes to be better than the brutal product we've rolled out the past few seasons.

I think I'm ready to give up on Datone. There is that point for every player where they either become something or they're given up on. For me, that time is now. Another miss on defense for us. It's added up and afforded us what we are... a defense not anywhere near good enough to take us back to the show. Josh Boyd got more time than him last year as a late round pick, and if you watched tonight there's no question who the better player is. You just can't have that happen... your first rounder is nowhere near as good as the guy you drafted at the end of a draft.

Internally, there has to be panic over this issue. Meanwhile, we extended the guy who keeps burning high draft picks on defensive players who turn out to be garbage. Very frustrating.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Laser Gunns
9 years ago
Not yet..

But he certainly has run his mouth a lot,
A lot more than what he has shown.

Also, Aldon Smith is a linebacker, Jones is a lineman.

On the bright side... hHCD made some darn good plays today.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
I'm not sure if the problem is so much as Jones as not having LBs who can step up and stop the ball carrier on cut backs. I distinctly remember Jones and Daniels getting in the backfield 2-3 times each only to see the RB go another way/cut back and go where our guys just came from with no one to clean up (same problem that killed us against Peterson in 2012). There were few times when they did good (Barrington flew into the hole like a bat out of hell and stuffed the RB for a 2 yard gain one play) but after that game I'm far more worried about the guys immediately behind them.

(And for the record, I'm SO happy I didn't try to go down and see this game)
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
9 years ago
Wasn't even on my draft board, because he's yet another player that doesn't fit our scheme.

That said, I haven't given up on him. I think the added weight he's put on might be slowing him down some. He was much more explosive pre-injury last year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Wasn't even on my draft board, because he's yet another player that doesn't fit our scheme.

That said, I haven't given up on him. I think the added weight he's put on might be slowing him down some. He was much more explosive pre-injury last year.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Don't Sleep on Brandon Bostick 

Demovsky: Datone Jones has shown bursts of a little bit more power in his game this summer. Even though he did well in the one-on-one pass rushing drills last summer, it was almost always with speed. This year, he has bull-rushed more. It's early, but his 6-4 record in the one-on-on drill is a good sign. Anything close to .500 is a great mark for a defensive player. He also is getting the chance to rep more in the base defense, something he almost never did last season as a rookie. We should get the opportunity to see what kind of player he can be against the run.

Might be the difference between this year and last?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
earthquake
9 years ago

B U S T? This guy is another disappointment as a high draft pick on defense. He was drafted to be an Aldon Smith type and he's been on the field the equivalent of what Aldon Smith has been off it... not very good.

His non descript performance tonight along with his hum drum TC should be sending warning alarms. This a major problem for our defense if it hopes to be better than the brutal product we've rolled out the past few seasons.

I think I'm ready to give up on Datone. There is that point for every player where they either become something or they're given up on. For me, that time is now. Another miss on defense for us. It's added up and afforded us what we are... a defense not anywhere near good enough to take us back to the show. Josh Boyd got more time than him last year as a late round pick, and if you watched tonight there's no question who the better player is. You just can't have that happen... your first rounder is nowhere near as good as the guy you drafted at the end of a draft.

Internally, there has to be panic over this issue. Meanwhile, we extended the guy who keeps burning high draft picks on defensive players who turn out to be garbage. Very frustrating.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Lol what? He's a bust because he didn't light it up in a preseason game? Feel free to look up dude, the sky isn't falling yet.

Also, using Aldon Smith as the measure of success for a 3-4 DE is ridiculous, if that is the standard, every 3-4 DE aside from J.J Watt is terrible.

I think it would be reasonable to at least let him play in some real games before freaking out. Remember he was injured much of his rookie year.
blank
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
1) Aldon Smith is an outside LB who is only effective when Justin Smith is holding blockers.
) It's not just that it was a preseason game, it was a preseason game in a monsoon. I am no0t going to make too many judgements about individual performances trying to evaluate people under the circumstancs
3) even Julius Peppers didn't get his name on the stat sheet, but, again, I think the weather was part of it
4) the Titans have a really good O-Line. I was pleased to see our guys hold up at all at the point of attack. More pass rush would have been nice, but I am not taking too much away from this one
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I'm not freaked out... just believe Datone is another miss on defense. Another guy who was supposed to be a difference maker who isn't. When we get to the point where we have to justify things we don't really see that's when you're in bust territory. I'm not expecting to see him be something for us. This is just another guy we'll be hearing from the org and fans to just be patient with all for no payoff for the patience.

Someone mentioned Ha Ha in this thread... that guy was disappointing last night but he is one you can justify saying it's way too early to say what he's going to be. When your first rounder is getting far less playing time last year than Josh Boyd, your 5th rounder, that is a terrible sign. How could anyone argue against that? Boyd looks like a player on the come... a Mike Daniels if you will. I have high hopes for Boyd. Why am I so up on Boyd and down on Datone?

Datone is getting dangerously close to Terrell Buckley status in Green Bay. His mouth hasn't been justified by his play. Datone spoke of being the best player in NFL history...not just at his position but the best ever at any position. To talk that talk and ride the sideline while a 5th rounder was actually playing doesn't inspire he'll ever be a player. I was hopeful this Packer propaganda of the "2nd year jump" would come to fruition for him. It doesn't look or sound like it's happened for him. I read something the other day that he didn't take the jump that was expected of him That is what a BUST is...a guy who isn't on the field in favor of a 5th rounder, and one who didn't improve from last season. What else is Datone if not a bust?

When will he move to bust territory for you?
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I struggle to slam someone as BUST without them having three full seasons to adequately state as such. Datone Jones was drafted in 2013. I'll give him two more seasons before he can have the opportunity of earning the BUST label.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
9 years ago

I struggle to slam someone as BUST without them having three full seasons to adequately state as such. Datone Jones was drafted in 2013. I'll give him two more seasons before he can have the opportunity of earning the BUST label.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Ditto. One injured rookie season and one preseason game are nowhere near a large enough sample size to come to any conclusions.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.