uffda udfa
9 years ago

Ditto. One injured rookie season and one preseason game are nowhere near a large enough sample size to come to any conclusions.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

So, how would you characterize Datone Jones up to this point? Can't be anything other than disappointing. That is what busts are...disappointing. You feel he's just off to a very poor start in Green Bay and will become something this year, or down the road?

This just feels all too familiar to me. Another high defensive pick who is not a player. Why is Josh Boyd so much better at this point? It's hard to reconcile that question. Boyd is good... Datone is not. Why? A first rounder should develop quicker than a 5th rounder. Boyd was a guy who as a 5th may or may not have even made the team. He made the team and got more playing time than Jones because he's better. He's still better this year. Datone is starting off of reputation as a 1st rounder...nothing else. Boyd is the better player.

It's time to call the fight. Datone is never going to be anywhere near what he was supposed to be for us. I'd settle for him being like AJ Hawk, at this point.

I agree with Michael Rodney over at PackerUpdate.net...

DATONE JONES – Speaking of not standing out, last year’s No. 1 pick continued his ho-hum summer vs. the Titans. Jones received plenty of playing time in the first half, but he just didn’t do enough – either as a base end or as an inside pass rusher. In all honesty, he looks like just a guy. The former UCLA standout still seems to be developing positional instincts and awareness to blocking schemes. He also needs to improve his pad level. And while I do like his motor and the energy he brings to the huddle, that’s not enough when you’re talking about a player picked 26th overall in the draft.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago
Boyd 103 defensive snaps
Jones 263 defensive snaps

Not really "far less playing time" last year. Also Boyd is IMO irrelevant, you are using him to trash Jones simply because of his draft status. What if Boyd is actually just a good player? Is Mike Daniels not as good as a 1st rounder who has the exact same production because he was a 4th rounder?

Jones problem last year was he wasn't strong enough to play in base defense but he still ended up tied for 5th in sacks for rookies. Sacks don't mean everything but they don't mean nothing. He had a disappointing year last year but it's that way for a lot of rookies. We haven't even seen him in a real game yet this year and as of now it looks like he's starting at DE. Heck Daniels didn't do much his rookie year either.

I expect to see some positive progression from 1st year to 2nd year so I'll be worried if Jones doesn't take a decent step this year but I'll wait to actually watch him in some real football games before I judge whether that's happened or not. Also it didn't look to me like he was getting thrown around and blown off the ball or anything last night. Our run D was pretty good early on and Tennessee has a good OL.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Boyd 103 defensive snaps
Jones 263 defensive snaps

Not really "far less playing time" last year. Also Boyd is IMO irrelevant, you are using him to trash Jones simply because of his draft status. What if Boyd is actually just a good player? Is Mike Daniels not as good as a 1st rounder who has the exact same production because he was a 4th rounder?

Jones problem last year was he wasn't strong enough to play in base defense but he still ended up tied for 5th in sacks for rookies. Sacks don't mean everything but they don't mean nothing. He had a disappointing year last year but it's that way for a lot of rookies. We haven't even seen him in a real game yet this year and as of now it looks like he's starting at DE. Heck Daniels didn't do much his rookie year either.

I expect to see some positive progression from 1st year to 2nd year so I'll be worried if Jones doesn't take a decent step this year but I'll wait to actually watch him in some real football games before I judge whether that's happened or not. Also it didn't look to me like he was getting thrown around and blown off the ball or anything last night. Our run D was pretty good early on and Tennessee has a good OL.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

First, I was wrong...Boyd was a SIXTH rounder not 5th... As for the playing time issue, Boyd was inactive for almost half the season. (7 of first 9 games) At the end, who was on the field and who wasn't? Boyd got a lot more playing time than Jones. Jones got his snap advantage by being a 1st rounder. Boyd sits out half the season and is the guy playing at the end while Jones is sidelining it. That is flat out disappointing. Our 6th rounder is a player but our 1st rounder isn't. Of course, I'm going to use Boyd in comparison to Jones and Worthy as well. Again, two big misses up high for this organization. Boyd is a good player and I'm happy for that. It helps soften the blow of missing on Worthy and Jones. However, it should be mentioned that a 6th rounder lucky to make the team being drafted in Round 6 is a much better player than our 1st rounder.

Boyd and Daniels are very promising young guys. It's just shameful we continue missing on high defensive picks. What in the world kind of D would we have it we'd actually hit on Worthy, Jones, or Perry? We've gotten next to nothing from those guys.

Please, prove me wrong, Datone. Shed that disappointing label you've earned and make plays. I don't want to watch another season of brutal defense but I'm afraid that's exactly what I'm in for.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

voiceofreason
9 years ago
A bust? After 1 year? By that logic Aaron Rodgers was a bust because he provided far less in his first year that Datone did in his. You sir are bananas!
blank
uffda udfa
9 years ago

A bust? After 1 year? By that logic Aaron Rodgers was a bust because he provided far less in his first year that Datone did in his. You sir are bananas!

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason 

Was Jamal Reynolds a bust after one year? Did you need more than that? A bust is a bust. There are many players you can label a bust pretty quickly. Christian Ponder was a guy who I thought was a bust after 1 year. He's still a bust. The Aaron Rodgers thing doesn't make much sense. He wasn't drafted to play Year 1. Datone Jones was.

Is it possible Datone won't be a bust...sure. Is it possible he is a bust, right now, and you just haven't realized it yet...sure. I have concluded that he's a bust. He may not be. I hope I'm wrong. You can no more say he's not a bust than I can he is. It is my opinion he's a bust and will remain so.
UserPostedImage

voiceofreason
9 years ago
So your definition is that if a player does not play well in his first year he is a bust. Thank goodness your not the GM, because Nick Collins was terrible for multiple years. Calling a player a bust is about the harshest thing you can say. I find it disrespectful when people throw it around all willy nilly.
blank
uffda udfa
9 years ago

So your definition is that if a player does not play well in his first year he is a bust. Thank goodness your not the GM, because Nick Collins was terrible for multiple years. Calling a player a bust is about the harshest thing you can say. I find it disrespectful when people throw it around all willy nilly.

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason 

What makes you conclude that I throw it around willy nilly?

Nick Collins was from Bethune Cookman...not UCLA. Nick Collins was not a 1st rounder. Collins being from a small school and with a Wonderlic of 14 needed time. A 1st rounder from UCLA should be much more pro ready. Same as Jamal Reynolds from Florida State.

These guys from big time programs are in totally different boats than guys like Collins who are usually going to take time being from nowhere programs. There are always exceptions to every rule, but it makes great sense it took Collins time to get it. He also had incredible measurables that were worth waiting on. Is Datone Jones some unique athlete for that position? I don't think so.

Did I say I would cut the guy already? No. I do believe he will be just another high defensive pick who failed to live up to his lofty draft status. He wasn't good enough last year to be on the field over a 6th rounder. He's not standing out this year either. Oftentimes, if someone is going to be a player for us we hear about it early on. I will admit we heard that about Jones early on until his ankle got hurt. However, NONE of us us ever saw this stuff being written about because it wasn't happening in games it was happening in practices. I remember buzz on Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, etc...some guys are just players straight out of the gate. Datone is a Terrell Buckley who is always talking about how great he's going to be with absolutely no basis in reality. Guys like him usually don't ever measure up to their mouths. I don't think he will.

We shall see.
UserPostedImage

beast
9 years ago
We're barely (not really) into his second year... after their first preseason game in their second year I'm pretty sure most Packers fans were still doubting Rodgers, Collins, Nelson, Tramon Williams, Daniels, Raji, Kampman... etc... how about we at least give him a couple of real games into his 2nd season before judging more?

Jones could be a bust... but it seems you're jumping off the boat pretty quickly... heck Peppers didn't stand out that much ether, among others...
UserPostedImage
earthquake
9 years ago
Jordy Nelson was taken just outside of the 1st round(36th overall). It took him until year 4 to really show up as a dominate player. There are countless other examples of similar stories within the packers and around the league. The fact of the matter is, is that it's too early, after 1 season and 1 preseason game, to call Jones a bust.

Justin Harrell was a bust, this is an easy statement to make because hindsight is 20-20. Jones has already shown more in 1 year than Harrell showed his entire career.

We get it, you think maybe he might be a bust, someday. Cool, you're entitled to that opinion, but what purpose does repeating that every other post serve? Nobody misunderstands what you're saying.
blank
Laser Gunns
9 years ago
I think that Jones has unfortunately, come in at a time when most packer fans have little/no patience for injuries.

AJ Hawk is looking pretty damn good to me just because he shows up.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (6m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (45m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.