Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DoddPower  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:08:16 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,957
Applause Received: 469

Hello all. I thought I'd make a post to see if any posters here have had any experience with this issue. My fiance recently noticed some swelling in her arm and numbness. We went to the doctor. They suspected a blood clot, so they sent us to the emergency room. She eventually received a CT scan, and they discover about a 4x4 inch mass inside her chest. It's in between her lungs right under her sternum. It likely originated from her thymus gland. We were transferred four hours away to an advanced hospital in San Jose, CA. We have been here for almost two weeks getting various lab tests, blood thinners, etc. She does have blot clots all the way up her right arm and in her neck chest area. But they finally diagnosed the mass and it turns out she has Hodgkin's Lymphoma (a form of cancer). We aren't sure what stage yet. She has been poked and prodded like crazy, and now she has a pick line installed that will remain throughout the treatment.

She is being scheduled for six months of chemotherapy and five weeks of radiation therapy. She is only 33 years old, very healthy, cooks all her own food, and just an overall amazing and cheerful person. We have been told that Hodgkin's Lymphoma is one of the most treatable forms of cancer, and her long term prognosis actually looks pretty good, but one never knows. Either way, it's going to be a very long seven months. We are also very concerned about her becoming infertile, as we were hoping to start a family soon. Tough times.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with Hodgkin's Lymphoma? How did the treatment go and how is the affected person now? Any advice you could offer would be very much appreciated, because we have absolutely no idea what to expect yet. She starts her first dose of chemo tomorrow.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you!!
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 5:32:08 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,891
Applause Received: 2,088

The only experience I know about Hodgkins is Mario LeMieux. Read his story if you haven't. I think Troy might be the best to offer up advice on this subject.

I wish for this be swift and painfree for you and your family.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 8/8/2014(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 8:05:02 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

I don't know much about Hodgkin's Lymphoma but if it were me.

I would do this:

- Start by removing all stressors to the body as far food toxins
- Look into gerson therapy and buy a few books
Main premise revolves around juicing/enemas/and other supplements - I would at least look into juicing and some of the supplements.
- Iodine - in the past Iodine was used to kill cancer - lugals solution is a great way to take it. (make sure not allergic too)
- wahls protocol for curing MS - has a lot of great suggestions as far as ways of eating.
- cruciform veggies are good for anti cancer - ie kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage etc ...

There are a lot of different diets out there that promote healing - many suggest to cut out certain types of food because it is suggested they are harmful - grains, nightshades and of course all processed and sugars.

GL

Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 9:35:05 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,891
Applause Received: 1,400

Sorry to here this Dodd. I have no experience other than I too heard they are pretty successful in treating which is encouraging. but if I were you/her I wouldn't want to just be a number.

Keep us informed as to her progress.

God bless you both.

Here is to a house full of little dodds pattering around.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 4:49:36 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

Well Dodd, I'm very sorry to hear this. There's no nice way to say cancer sucks, in any form. My daughter had a cancerous brain tumor. They removed the tumor, she then did 7 weeks of extensive radiation on her head and spine, and then when we finally got her home from Mayo - we began a regiment of 10 rounds of chemo, which took a year.

This process of chemo and radiation will change your lives, but through it all you become closer and stronger. I'm told cancer treatment is harder on adults than children, so if I were you guys, I'd really look into the medical marijuana for some pain relief.

I don't know much about Hodgkins, but chemo and radiation really don't vary much. Your fiance' is going to be weaker physically and probably going to lose her hair. Mostly though, she's going to really need you.

Good luck and PM me anything you want to talk about. Go look up some of those old Mia threads if you like.

Again, sorry man - luckily you found it early which is most important with the treatment.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower on 8/12/2014(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 5:48:53 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 172
Applause Received: 374

Dodd, I'm so sorry to hear this. The "c" word is always scary. Please give my best to her and let her know Cheesey will be praying for her. (And you).
UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 8:01:10 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 286
Applause Received: 266

I am very sorry to hear that she is having to go through all this. We will keep her in our prayers. I don't have any expiriance dealing with Hodgekins.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline yooperfan  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 4:54:49 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 565
Applause Received: 256

Best wishes to you and your fiance Dodd.
And good Luck.
Offline 4PackGirl  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:49:47 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 153
Applause Received: 124

Oh my gosh - you two hold on tight to each other, accept help when offered, & be ready for anything. You mmight want to ask about harvesting some of her eggs if you're really concerned about future doddles. They can freeze them & she could have IVF later on. You're in my prayers.
UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:09:20 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. Needless to say, it's already been tough. There are simply too many errands and responsibilities for me to mostly do on my own while working a demanding full time job. I very rarely only work 40 hours a week. We did receive some good news that the cancer is only Stage 1B. That's the lowest stage and the "B" just means there has been some fever and weight loss, which is worse than a designation of "A," but still not a huge deal. It's still a very big tumor in a very bad spot, but at least it hasn't spread.

She has had one dose of chemotherapy. Only 11 more to go over the next 6 months, and then 5 weeks of radiation. No doubt this means a life change, at least during the treatment. Hopefully we can make it through it without losing our minds.

There's nothing "fair" about life, that's for sure. Just have to take the punched in stride and fight through it.
DakotaT on 8/12/2014(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:58:32 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 400

I hope this all goes well for you and yours, and I pray we are at the point that this is not as bad as it once was. I honestly do not know.

I do know it's an ordeal. I wish the very best outcome.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:35:18 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
I hope this all goes well for you and yours, and I pray we are at the point that this is not as bad as it once was. I honestly do not know.

I do know it's an ordeal. I wish the very best outcome.

An ordeal, indeed. Definitely changes our lives, at least for a while. As long as the end justifies the means, everything should be OK, I suppose.

Offline dfosterf  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:46:42 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 400

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
An ordeal, indeed. Definitely changes our lives, at least for a while. As long as the end justifies the means, everything should be OK, I suppose.

I'd much rather have it than my wife. I bet you feel the same. You guys are going to pull through.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline macbob  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:35:22 AM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 288
Applause Received: 237

We'll be pulling for you and your fiancé, Dodd, and hoping for the best possible outcome.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 5:24:42 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 248

Damn, Dodd.

I hope all goes well for you and your fiance. You're a great guy and I don't have a doubt in my mind that, if anyone can pull her through this, it's you.

Stay strong!
UserPostedImage
DoddPower on 8/18/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed