Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Examining the Green Bay Packers' roster:

Quarterbacks (3)

Aaron Rodgers
Matt Flynn
Scott Tolzien

If the Packers are leaning toward keeping only two quarterbacks, then Tolzien might be their guy behind Rodgers. He outplayed Flynn in Saturday's preseason opener at Tennessee. He has the better arm of the two backups, and that was apparent in the torrential rain that fell throughout the game. However, if they dumped Flynn, they would be getting rid of a quarterback that has proven he can win games as a backup in Green Bay.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

Disagree with Janis for #5 WR. Guy has done absolutely done nothing in TC due to being out. Meanwhile, Dorsey has gotten reps on ST and we've seen him and Gillett play last Saturday.

Agree with 6 dlineman. Neal looks way too small to log any extensive work on the dline. I hate falling into the "he needs to be X weight" stuff but he doesn't look like he'd last long.

And while we're at it, can we give Bradford reps at ILB?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
I wonder if Rob is going to flip flop every week after a preseason game has been played. I doubt 1 bad preseason game carries any more weight than a bad preseason practice.

Like it or not they will start the season with 3 QBs after getting burnt so badly last year with parade of QB they had. The only way they will drop to 2 is if and when they feel that they would be able to pull someone up from the PS and still be competitive.

I do get a kick out Rob having 4 DL last time explaining that both Neal and Peppers count as both OLB and DE. This week he bumps the DL up to 6.
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

I wonder if Rob is going to flip flop every week after a preseason game has been played. I doubt 1 bad preseason game carries any more weight than a bad preseason practice.

I do get a kick out Rob having 4 DL last time explaining that both Neal and Peppers count as both OLB and DE. This week he bumps the DL up to 6.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

He promoted Janis based on practice performances.

He had 5 DL last time, just added Pennel this time.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

He promoted Janis based on practice performances.

He had 5 DL last time, just added Pennel this time.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

You are right. I was sure he only had 4 DL. It is no big deal if Janis or Banjo or Barrington get moved on to the list or off of it next week. None of this counts and only serves to kill time while we wait for the real list to come out on Aug 30th and even then it will be subject to change over the next few days.
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

You are right. I was sure he only had 4 DL. It is no big deal if Janis or Banjo or Barrington get moved on to the list or off of it next week. None of this counts and only serves to kill time while we wait for the real list to come out on Aug 30th and even then it will be subject to change over the next few days.

Exactly - the guys he's shifting from week to week are guys that probably won't be on the active 46 much of the season anyway...well, at least not until the inevitable 12 hamstring/ACL IRs pop up.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
True about injuries having an effect. The fact is, the Packers have a lot of talent - too much to fit into 53 spots. The WR package is still up for grabs after the top 3, maybe top 2. I think we keep six. Same thing with TE - I think we find a way to keep at least five. I second the motion to give Bradford a try at ILB - I'm not satisfied with anybody currently playing the position. I also recognize the dilemma with Neal (the one on D). I really doubt he has a future at OLB, and he's either too small or too slow - depending on whether he is down or up in weight/playing D Line or OLB. I think it's gonna take an injury along the way to somebody else to keep him. I'd really like to see Tolzien kept and Flynn cut, but I concur, it ain't likely after the mess last year. Keeping an extra RB - the other Neal or Perkins - probably can't happen if we keep 3 QBs.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy
9 years ago

I second the motion to give Bradford a try at ILB - I'm not satisfied with anybody currently playing the position. I also recognize the dilemma with Neal (the one on D). I really doubt he has a future at OLB, and he's either too small or too slow - depending on whether he is down or up in weight/playing D Line or OLB.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I third the motion on Bradford. There was a lot of chatter about that on draft day, but they seem to want him outside.

As for Neal, he seems like Kampman in this defense, sort of a square peg in a round hole.

voiceofreason
9 years ago
I don't know about keeping 5 TE this year. Unless they start making plays, I wouldnt waste the roster spots.
blank
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Like it or not they will start the season with 3 QBs after getting burnt so badly last year with parade of QB they had. The only way they will drop to 2 is if and when they feel that they would be able to pull someone up from the PS and still be competitive.

They have 3 QBs every year. Rodgers, a backup and one on the PS. Probably be the same this year.

If Rodgers gets hurt, they put in Flynn and move the PS player to the game day roster and start looking for a scrap heap QB. If Flynn goes down, you put in the PS player until you get the scrap heap player up to speed.

Last year wasn't a disaster. It was the way they planned to deal with injuries. No team is going to win a lot of games if they are down to their 3rd QB. It would be an over reaction to change what they do. You can't keep 3 starting quality QBs on a team.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
musccy
9 years ago
I'm almost certain flynn isn't eligible for the p.s.
And I think tolzien's eligibility is close to maxed as well. Also, dangling relatively established qbs on a practice squad is risky. I don't know that tolzien would last a season there w/o being picked up.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.