Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline evad04  
#26 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:20:25 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 77
Applause Received: 140

Uffda -- I think you have an unhealthy obsession with where a player is drafted. It should make no difference whether a contributor comes from the 1st round, the 7th or is undrafted.

Green Bay will be no better/worse off if, for instance, the top contributors from a given draft class are all guys from rounds 4-7.

As they say in baseball: "He gets on base. Why the hell do I care how?"

Some people continue to hold A.J. Hawk's No. 5 pick status against him because he never blossomed into a superstar. While it's true Hawk is no monster in the middle, he's hardly a chump. He's decent. But because he was picked fifth, he'll forever be a disappointment.

It works the other way, though. Look at a Josh Sitton. Some 134 players went before ol' Joshy, including first-round O-lineman in the NFC North in Detroit's Gosder "I'm Fucking Awful" Cherilus and Chris "Who" Williams.

Can you do a happy dance/heel click for the sub-1st round guys who ended up being studs? Don't we just need good players? Does it really matter where we get them from? Are you unfairly judging a second-year player because of Negative Nancy Syndrone? What would you do for a Klondike Bar?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#27 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:23:11 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
My goodness, this is still going?? Look, the player hasn't even been in the league for three years.

Yup... all of the subjects are still going... I think we (as Packers fans) are restless right now... and don't have much to talk about :(

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Go here http://packershome.com/Draft
Set it to 2011
And then pick on someone who has had three years to prove/disprove themsevles!!!

Hi Jacked! Sarcasm

Mmm 2011? .. Only real questions I see from that year left are...

1) is Sherrod a bust?

2) Will Ryan Taylor keep making the team?

3) Also I've always wondered why don't we have Taylor backing up TE AND FB? ... I just don't see him being an amazing TE, I thought he might become a pretty good FB.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline voiceofreason  
#28 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:27:01 PM(UTC)
voiceofreason

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 33

As far as I am concerned, bust is a dirty word. Even the national media, whose opinions change by the second don't use the B word for years. As far as I can tell Datone is a good kid who had 3.5 sacks his rookie year. Including 2 in one game against the NFC East champion Eagles. I come to this forum to support MY GREEN BAY PACKERS. If I want to bash 21 year old kids ill go to a Vikings forum.
blank
Offline DarkaneRules  
#29 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:38:06 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

I will say no Uffda. He's got this year to prove himself. Now if you want to talk about Nick Perry rolling out there with the 3rd team yesterday... now you may have something.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline jlyons043  
#30 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:49:11 PM(UTC)
jlyons043

United States

Applause Received: 3

I don't think Datone is a bust, disappointing yeah but lets see what he does this year. Nick Perry on the other hand... He played with the backups vs TEN on Saturday and went up against the rookie Lewan and still did nothing.
DarkaneRules on 8/10/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#31 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:03:00 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason Go to Quoted Post
As far as I am concerned, bust is a dirty word. Even the national media, whose opinions change by the second don't use the B word for years. As far as I can tell Datone is a good kid who had 3.5 sacks his rookie year. Including 2 in one game against the NFC East champion Eagles. I come to this forum to support MY GREEN BAY PACKERS. If I want to bash 21 year old kids ill go to a Vikings forum.

I don't come here to support my Green Bay Packers...you should join a fan club or something if that's what you're after. I come here to talk about the Green Bay Packers. Different perspective. I'm not in the kool aid club. I like real talk...real issues. I have strong opinions just like you but my agenda isn't to support the Packers...it's to give honest feedback based on what I see. I like Josh Boyd, I don't like Datone Jones. Balance. I don't rah rah for both of them. Now, I sure hope Datone develops but I don't believe he will. We are NOT going to cut him as a 1st rounder from last year. I'm not going as far as clamoring for that. I could be wrong. I don't believe I am...I've moved from the fence on Datone to the side that says he's not going to be a player. Most of you are on the fence because you sure can't think much of that guy at this point no matter how supportive you think you are or wish to be. It isn't reality.

The forum you advocate is located in Stepford. This isn't Stepford.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline voiceofreason  
#32 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:07:20 PM(UTC)
voiceofreason

I live in Wisconsin boy. Not Stepford and sure as hell not Texas. Datone had 3.5 sacks his rookie year. you act like he completely shat the bed.
blank
Offline uffda udfa  
#33 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:21:43 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

I live in Wisconsin boy. Not Stepford and sure as hell not Texas. Datone had 3.5 sacks his rookie year. you act like he completely shat the bed.

You live in Wisconsin? And...? I grew up there. And...? Jairus Wynn had a multiple sack game against the Bears a few years ago. Do you know where he is now?

Here's what I know... our 1st rounder was on the sideline while our 6th rounder was in games making plays because our 6th rounder was better than our 1st rounder. You can spin that if you'd like. I know you're supportive. I'd rather talk about reality.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline jlyons043  
#34 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:32:30 PM(UTC)
jlyons043

United States

http://www.nfl.com/video.../Datone-Jones-Highlights

Video of all Datone's sacks.

His first sack was a coverage sack. Datone drops back and McCown had no one open so he attempts to run but falls down and Jones was the first guy to touch him and gets awarded the sack.

His Second sack was almost the same thing as the first. Good coverage down field with Jones basically playing spy and Foles has nowhere to go and tries to run. Luckily for Datone, Foles is slower than crap and had no shot of getting away.

3rd Sack is the most impressive and something I hope to see more of. Easily Datone's best play of year. He really overpowers one of the best LT's in the game on this play.

His "3.5th" sack, Clay comes up the middle and forces Romo to try and run off, too bad for Romo because Jones was right there.

Again he had one really nice play vs Jason Peters but the rest of his "sacks" are pretty meh.
Offline voiceofreason  
#35 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:33:58 PM(UTC)
voiceofreason

657 people have viewed this topic. Come on guys and gals, log in and show some support for Datone "the beast" jones. Or bash him. Either way it will be fun I swear.
blank
Zero2Cool on 8/10/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#36 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:28:11 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,709
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: jlyons043 Go to Quoted Post
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000361852/Datone-Jones-Highlights

Video of all Datone's sacks.

His first sack was a coverage sack. Datone drops back and McCown had no one open so he attempts to run but falls down and Jones was the first guy to touch him and gets awarded the sack.

His Second sack was almost the same thing as the first. Good coverage down field with Jones basically playing spy and Foles has nowhere to go and tries to run. Luckily for Datone, Foles is slower than crap and had no shot of getting away.

3rd Sack is the most impressive and something I hope to see more of. Easily Datone's best play of year. He really overpowers one of the best LT's in the game on this play.

His "3.5th" sack, Clay comes up the middle and forces Romo to try and run off, too bad for Romo because Jones was right there.

Again he had one really nice play vs Jason Peters but the rest of his "sacks" are pretty meh.

3.5 sacks in very few snaps. If he plays 2/3 snaps he'll at least double his sack total.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DarkaneRules  
#37 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:52:37 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

I dig the conversation it's creating but I still feel the question is one season pre-mature.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Offline jlyons043  
#38 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:08:18 PM(UTC)
jlyons043

United States

Quote:
I dig the conversation it's creating but I still feel the question is one season pre-mature.

Agreed. I'd much rather read everyone's thoughts on guys like Perry and Worthy. Anyone in here feel these 2 guys are busts right now?
Zero2Cool on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#39 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:14:17 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: jlyons043 Go to Quoted Post
Agreed. I'd much rather read everyone's thoughts on guys like Perry and Worthy. Anyone in here feel these 2 guys are busts right now?

I like Perry's abilities but question his heart. Worthy was a worry from the moment we drafted him. Two guys who have been injured way too much. Worthy did not look good as a rook. Perry had his moments and was adjusting from DE to OLB so I can give him some grace for the transition. Worthy is set to be another monumental failure as another high draft choice. Our D is bad in large part to TT's inability to draft DL. He's not been very good in that area...or finding a complement to Clay Matthews. It's shameful Clay has been here these years and we have yet to find a decent piece opposite him. A major Ted Thompson failing.

Worthy is a bust I would say... Perry is not there...too many injuries and position switch. This is make or break for both.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline OlHoss1884  
#40 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 6:46:32 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 167

I never label a guy with injury problems as a "bust" but I am disappointed with Worthy since he has never been healthy.

Something you guys have glossed over in your back and forth sniping is that you can't judge a 3-4 DE the same way you do a 4-3 guy. It's a different role and much closer to a traditional DT. The numbers from a 3-4 DE are going to look a lot more like Santana Dotson than Reggie White., The big sacks, etc. come from the OLB.

The only 3-4 end that comes to mind when I think of great pass rushers is Bruce Smith, and he is very much the exception.

Most of the time, no one even knows who the 3-4 end is even on a ghreat defense. Think of some of those great Steeler, Ravens and Giants defenses that ran 3-4 and tell me who the DE were.

I expect progress this year from Jones, but I am not expecting double digit sacks, nor should I.

Message modified by user Monday, August 11, 2014 8:45:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 3 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/11/2014(UTC), earthquake on 8/11/2014(UTC), evad04 on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#41 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 7:03:14 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

This isn't necessarily directed towards Uffda, but is Johnathan Franklin a bust? Whether you think he is, or he isn't, shouldn't your "categorization" of Worthy and Sherrod be similar to this point?

As far as the importance of draft positioning, w/o looking, I can't tell you where Brooks, Newsome, Evans, Butler, Winters, Bennett, Levins, or Chmura were picked. However, that's my point. Wherever Datone or Boyd were picked, does it really matter so long as the job is getting done? No doubt that to this point Datone has been a let down, but if the job is getting done on the line (admittedly that's a big "if") it's not that big of a deal, especially with a cap number under 2 million.

evad04 on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#42 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 7:19:43 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

way too soon to make any kind of judgement.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline nerdmann  
#43 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:45:02 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post

Worthy is a bust I would say... Perry is not there...too many injuries and position switch. This is make or break for both.

Worthy did ok his rookie year. Never really stood out, but didn't really suck.

Thing with him is, he got hurt at the end of that year, and so missed much of last year rehabbing the knee. Now he needs to get healthy and show he can get back at it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#44 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:50:07 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 484

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Worthy did ok his rookie year. Never really stood out, but didn't really suck.

Thing with him is, he got hurt at the end of that year, and so missed much of last year rehabbing the knee. Now he needs to get healthy and show he can get back at it.

Worried about Worthy. Could they try stashing him on IR again like they did last year? The fact that he hurt his back lifting weights is rather ominous.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#45 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 9:53:54 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Worried about Worthy. Could they try stashing him on IR again like they did last year? The fact that he hurt his back lifting weights is rather ominous.

I was thinking the same, and that it's probably the only way he "makes the team" this year. If I'm not mistaken he missed all of OTAs and now 2+ weeks of TC?
Offline nerdmann  
#46 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:30:48 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post

Easily treated.

Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan
Offline StarrMax1  
#47 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:57:27 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

657 people have viewed this topic. Come on guys and gals, log in and show some support for Datone "the beast" jones. Or bash him. Either way it will be fun I swear.

650 of the 657 people who have viewed this thread have no desire to interact with the creator of said thread.

Why?

Simple they have learned , or soon will learn, subject and content does not matter, these threads are created just to show everyone here how much more superior the creator is than anyone else on these forums, and believe me when I say this, at some point as some continue to feed the troll, this thread will turn into a "we are all blinded by our green and gold glasses, and Ted Thompson is the worst GM in the league and it's unbelievable that he gets so much support"

Any knowledgeable fan realizes you can't judge a player after 1 year and 1 preseason game.

Especially when said player was injured the 1st preseason game of his rookie year. which set his 1st year development behind.

The problem since "The Creator" has already deemed him a bust, he will continue to bash him at any chance, because he is always right and anyone else is wrong.

Dexter_Sinister on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#48 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 12:48:44 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 Go to Quoted Post
650 of the 657 people who have viewed this thread have no desire to interact with the creator of said thread.

Why?

Simple they have learned , or soon will learn, subject and content does not matter, these threads are created just to show everyone here how much more superior the creator is than anyone else on these forums, and believe me when I say this, at some point as some continue to feed the troll, this thread will turn into a "we are all blinded by our green and gold glasses, and Ted Thompson is the worst GM in the league and it's unbelievable that he gets so much support"

Any knowledgeable fan realizes you can't judge a player after 1 year and 1 preseason game.

Especially when said player was injured the 1st preseason game of his rookie year. which set his 1st year development behind.

The problem since "The Creator" has already deemed him a bust, he will continue to bash him at any chance, because he is always right and anyone else is wrong.

Not exactly correct. People who view may well have already made a comment. They may come back to read more of the replies but don't always post another comment right away. They can do so later when they have more time. Not everyone who views and then doesn't immediately follow up with a comment is a lurker. The lack of comments probably has nothing to do with uffda udfa Offline creating this thread. I rather link it that he is willing to look outside the norm. There are a few on here who do, like nerdmann. That is one of the reason I come here is to see what other perspectives are. If I didn't want that I would read the AP homogenized version of an issue.

Kudos to jlyons043 Offline for posting.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline evad04  
#49 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 3:37:06 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 77
Applause Received: 140

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Easily treated.

Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan

This is why we can't have nice things, folks.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline voiceofreason  
#50 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 5:40:00 PM(UTC)
voiceofreason

People should realize that every packers fan opinion is important and valued. I felt I would be in the majority thinking that Datone should be given more time, and reached out for support. I am a notorious lurker. As pointed out by another member previously I only have 60 some posts but have been a member since 2009. I have been a member of too many forums that devolved into pure bashfests, and I have no desire to see this one go that way. We have much to be happy and excited for as packer fans. I recommend cherishing these moments because all good things come to an end eventually.
blank
Rss Feed