HoustonMatt
15 years ago
PackersHome name: HoustonMatt
Real name (first only): Matt
Current City: Houston
Hometown: Humble (just NE of Houston)

1) How did you choose your screen name?

Lack of creativity and understanding that using your real name on a website may not be the best idea. I'll probably get around to changing it one day, but I don't really want to register a new account.

2) Could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

Grew up in your typical suburban neighborhood just outside of Houston. Dad's a vet. Mom's a teacher. One older sister. Painfully normal or everything you could ask for depending on how you look at it. Although my sister now lives in Dallas, I'm still a 30 minute drive from the folks. Given that our extended family all resides up north, we stay pretty close.

3) Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any High School clubs and such?

I peaked athletically in junior high. In high school I ran track for a couple years, but avoided any extracurricular clubs like the plague.

4) What is your fondest memory of your teenage years?

I don't know that I could pinpoint just one, but I suppose getting your license and a car on your 16th birthday is about as good as any.

5) What was your first job?

First job was as a busboy at Red Lobster. After three months I became a host. First job out of college was working for an IT recruiting firm. Worked that for awhile, didn't like it, so I moved into the marketing position I'm in now. I do a lot of web advertising and PR for a national law firm.

6) What lead to your dedicated following of the Packers?

I've always thought that there's really only two legitimate reasons to like a team.

1) Geographical - you root for the team in which town you were raised or currently live.

2) Hereditary - You root for whichever team your dad liked.

I'm the latter. While I was born in Houston, my dad grew up in North Dakota, and his dad in Wisconsin. The Packer tradition is passed on through the generations.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories of the Packers?

As much as I loved the Superbowl win, I actually might say that the Monday Nighter after Brett's dad died was my favorite memory. The Superbowl was great because my team won, but the Monday Nighter showed me that this was more than just a team to root for. I was emotionally vested in that game and specifically in Brett. The feelings I had that night went beyond typical fandom. For better or worse, that night proved to me that the Packers are more than just an NFL team. They're (including Packer Nation) an extended family.

8 ) How did you find the PackersHome and what keeps you active on the site?

Followed you guys over from the original board. Can't say for sure how I found the original board as that must have been over three years ago. Google would be my guess.

9) What other sports teams do you follow?

MLB - Twins (Braves in the NL)
NBA - Lakers
NCAA - Texas A&M

10) When youre not on PackersHome what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

Reading. Watching sports. Going out with friends. Perusing the internet.

11) If you could have one moment being part of the Packer organization, what would it be?

Draft room. That should be high paced and extremely interesting.

12) How many trips have you made to Lambeau?

None, but I plan to. I've seen the Packers once in Houston and once in Dallas though.

13) What is your worst fear?

Prison. I watch MSNBC Lockup fairly often and can't imagine the thought of spending any significant amount of my life behind bars. If I ever did something that landed me a prison sentence of 3+ years, I'd seriously consider fleeing the country or offing myself. Sorry for the downer, but it's true.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

Sports and reading.

15) Whats your favorite food?

If anyone answers this questions with a word other than 'pizza', they're simply not telling the truth. Everyone loves pizza.

16) Where are some of the places youve been, and where are some of your favorites.

I've been to 44 of 50 states, Mexico, Canada, Italy, France, and England. Italy was fantastic, though I was probably a bit too young (14) to fully appreciate it. Domestically, you can't beat NYC, with Chicago being a close 2nd. If I wasn't such a southern boy (ie. I hate cold weather), I'd move to Manahattan tomorrow.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?

Go to Lambeau. Write a book.

18) If you could live anywhere where would it be?

Again, NYC if I could control the weather. Otherwise, I'm fine here in Houston.

19) Name your favorite 5 Packers all time and explain the reason for one of them.

Brett Favre
Reggie White
Gilbert Brown
Greg Jennings
Donald Driver - Houston kid and his mom and sisters come to Nick's Place most every Sunday during football season. Nick's is a bar on the westside of Houston where about 200 Packer fans meet to watch the games.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite Packer memories?

The Monday Nighter, reason explained above.

21) PM and post the next person to be interviewed.

I don't really care. If you're interested, fill out the questionnaire. If forced to choose, Nonstopdrivel, because we seem to agree on most football related issues and he's a guy of a statistical and well reasoned nature.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago
Excellent interview. The day that Vikesrule posts will be the day I do also.
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
About time we got some of these. Great interview, it's always nice to know more about people you talk with in here.
This is a placeholder
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
Great interview!!! Always nice to get to know people you are from day to day talking to. 🙂
Heathiee
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Oh man. I wish I had known you when I lived in Houston. Never heard of Nick's place. If I go back there any time soon, I'll show up there for a game. That's awesome.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
My worst fear is prison too. I could not possibly bear up under the loss of freedom. I found the confinement of military bases in Iraq suffocating enough. If I ever were sentenced to prison, there's no way around it. I would kill myself.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
It's good to read an interview with one of the voices of reason on this site.

Houston is in a lot of the ways the opposite of where I'm from (northern Michigan). It's neat how the Packers bring people together from all over the place. I don't know how you can watch MSNBC Lockup, though. Those shows creep me out! I would not be a happy camper in prison.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I used to enjoy watching Oz on DVD in Iraq because some of the writing was philosophical. But I agree, I can't take much of it -- it messes with my deepest fears.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
where in North Dakota did your dad grow up? I grew up in North Dakota, so, just curious.
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

where in North Dakota did your dad grow up? I grew up in North Dakota, so, just curious.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Petersburg. It's about 40 miles west of Grand Forks. Mom grew up there too. The town has dwindled to probably about 100-150 people at this point, most of which are widows.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.