wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Roberts earned quick Internet fame in the second quarter of Texas's eventual 66-31 blowout of Ole Miss as Goodwin broke free for a 69-yard touchdown run to put the 'Horns up 17-7. He met Roberts, who oversees the color guard at each Rebels home game. ESPN cameras picked up Roberts angrily objecting to something Goodwin did in the process of scoring a touchdown.

"It was instant," Roberts says. "By the time I got home my phone died from calls and texts, and now it's all over my Facebook."

Conjecture mounted quickly. Most fans and viewers assumed Goodwin attempted to salute Roberts, who as a "Gunny" would strongly object to such a gesture (explained by resident SB Nation USMC advisor Matt Ufford here). Instead, Roberts says that Goodwin attempted something far more foolish:

"As he ran toward me, I could see him start to make the 'shhhhh' motion holding his hand up. I knew behind me was the Texas fan section, and he was staring straight ahead. So I'm thinking, well, I know he’s not 'shhhh-ing' his own people."

As Goodwin started to motion, Roberts responded exactly the way a graduate of Marine drill instructor school would, and Internet gold formed instantly.

"It was hey, don’t hush me, because Marines, well ... we don’t like to be hushed," he says with a laugh.

link 
UserPostedImage
OlHoss1884
10 years ago
Maybe a little off topic, but allow me to share my favorite USMC story, which is why I think the Corps makes us all feel so badass as Americans....

During WWI, the Germans held an area near Chateau Thierry called Belleau Wood. Belleau Wood was a manicured forest, neatly trimmed with trees very deliberately spaced apart. FRor most of 4 years, it was completely inviolate, as the Germans had filled it with machine gun nests. The American commander, General Pershing, told the allies he intended to take Belleau Wood to allow the assault on Chateau Thierry, and he was going to assign the 1st Marine Division to the task.

The reaction was "OMG that wood is full of machine gun nests!" to which Pershing replied, essentially "yeah, we know".

So the Marines were assigned to assault Belleau Wood and were quickly pinned down by heavy machine gun fire. At some point, a Marine Captain (his name I forget, but I understand he was from - surprise! Texas) jumped up and yelled "CHARGE!".

The German machine gunners were so stunned that they were unable to fire for a few moments and despite heavy casualties, the Marines overran the machine guns and took the Wood.

Like with more well-remembered fights like Guadalcanal or Iwo Jima, Belleau Wood is a classic example of the toughness, courage and determination that we Americans like to attribute to ourselves as a people. It's not just that Marines embody this day to day, year to year but that they do it at such a cartoon-like level that I, for one, can't imagine having the stones to pull it off.

To me, Belleau Wood is an amazing moment in American history and a shining example of the best America can do...to the Marines, it's "Tuesday".
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago
Hoss THAT is the topic.

Did a quick check looking for the Marine's name and there is a little more to the battle. Naturally.

This is part of the wiki version .

At 17:00 on 6 June, the 3rd Battalion 5th Marines (3/5)—commanded by Major Benjamin S. Berry, and the 3rd Battalion 6th Marines (3/6)—commanded by Maj. Tyler M. Meyer, on their right—advanced from the west into Belleau Wood as part of the second phase of the Allied offensive. Again, the Marines had to advance through a waist-high wheat field into murderous machine gun fire. One of the most famous quotations in Marine Corps legend came during the initial step-off for the battle when Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, a recipient of two Medals of Honor who had served in the Philippines, Santo Domingo, Haiti, Peking and Vera Cruz, prompted his men of the 73rd Machine Gun company forward with the words: "Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?"[13]

The first waves of Marines—advancing in well-disciplined lines—were slaughtered; Major Berry was wounded in the forearm during the advance. On his right, the Marines of Major Meyer's 3/6 Battalion swept into the southern end of Belleau Wood and encountered heavy machine gun fire, sharpshooters and barbed wire. Marines and German infantrymen were soon engaged in heavy hand-to-hand fighting. The casualties sustained on this day were the highest in Marine Corps history to that time.[9] Some 31 officers and 1,056 men of the Marine brigade were casualties. However, the Marines now had a foothold in Belleau Wood.[14]

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
The doggies on BOTH sides never saw anything like that. We Marines turned the tide of that war, at Belleau wood. Right there. Imagine that. Millions dead. War stagnated. The few, the proud, the Marines- turned it our way. We gave a huge contribution to the concept of winning WW1 in that single battle. Some would say the Marines did it right there and then. The Germans had had enough. We created a tipping point, not Gen Pershing, (for example) That is history, boys and girls... It's the last time we were in Europe as a significant force. It was our only involvement. We serve the President.

You should see the modern-day-ones. The Infantry is highly trained. They can fight in a Nuclear, biological and chemical environment- whatever the nut-jobs dish out-

All the way to hand-to-hand combat, you and me, baby, best man survives the experience. Bring the knife, enemy, good luck with that.

Superior marksmanship at Belleau wood won the day, btw. We earned our title of "Devil Dogs" there, by the Germans, in case you did not know.

Semper fi

Ooh rah

We had a LOT of Army help at Belleau wood. The Army units were integrated into Marine units so they could habla the real leadership in a combat situation. (some editorialization, there, but it DID happen)

More doggies were at Belleau wood than Marines. They were all led by Marine NCO's. The doggies brought the beans, bullets and band-aids. We Marines did the killing of the Germans, because that is what we do. we close with and destroy our enemy, since 1775. We do not request a merit badge for it, but at least know the Marines tipped the 1st world war. (and pissed off Adolph Hitler, I'd imagine) As I write this, there are currently 7 MEU's protecting my words and your freedom operating around this planet. The pointy-end of America's stick. Day in, day out. That would be Marine Expeditionary Units. Not doggies. Not SEALS. Not wing-wipers. Marines. 30 minutes notice required. If we are late, it was your politicians, not us. The Navy does an EXCELLENT job of getting our arrogant asses off their boats-ships-whatever, lol

Again- we can hold nothing without our integrated services, but with them, a MEU is immovable, unless the alpha, beta, gamma and neutron-induced particles get dicey.
We swim, btw. Sailors don't swim. Marine swims for one hour with his field marching pack, water, MRE's and his gear for his MOS (varies between 80 to 100 lbs) in a pool (no ladders, no escape routes) for one hour or he is ineligible for promotion. They call that "s-2" qualified, the basic minimum. If you want to know why, google "Tarawa". The basic minimum for a sailor is to hit the drink and drop like a stone, lol To be fair, there is a reason for that , also. I'm out when the squids fuck up the ship. Many of them do not have that option, and will fight to save it.
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago
a little more on the young marine you helped the kids in the race in Michigan.

Marine Lance Cpl. Myles Kerr told ABC News he doesn't consider himself a hero and was just "doing the right thing" when he dropped back in a 5k race over the weekend to run with a boy who had become separated from his group.

Kerr's good deed was captured in a photo that has since gone viral, garnering hundreds of thousands of likes and shares on Facebook.

In the photo, Kerr, 19, wearing his boots and gear, was looking back at 9-year-old Boden Fuchs as the pair ran toward the finish line at the Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K in Charlevoix, Mich., over the weekend.

"He was walking when I ran by him," Kerr said. "I looked at him and said, 'Hey, little guy, you alright?' And he said, 'Will you run with me?'"

The pair stuck together for the rest of the race, with Kerr motivating the boy to keep striding toward the finish line.

They crossed the finish line just shy of the 35-minute mark, at which point Kerr said he made sure Boden found his family before he went on with his day.

Later that night, a friend, whose husband is a reservist Marine, posted the photo of Kerr and Boden running together.

"I just thought it was cool someone actually got a picture of me running with him," Kerr said. "Then, my recruiter ended up posting it and that's when it took off."

Kerr, who is near the end of a one-week leave from Camp Pendleton in California and has been a Marine for nine months, said he has been left "speechless" by the attention he has been getting from people who have been inspired by the photo.

He said Boden's family even gave him a $100 restaurant gift card, which he plans to use before returning to California.

"As a Marine, we try to reach out and help as much as we can," he said. "I don't think I'm a hero. I was just trying to help."

link 
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago
dfosterf
9 years ago
I've told this in a hundred different ways. When you send in the Marines, you have sent the United States of America.

Marines know this. They don't work at backing that up, they back that up. We did go backwards at the Chosin, but the President made us do it. Otherwise, we would have stayed, I have no doubt. That would have been expensive, but we would have, trust me. Hitler had nothing on a Marine battalion commander when it comes to the no retreat rule.

No way I'm going backwards. No way my men are. We all know this. We di di mao a position, but we are not moving from that fight and line. No way. We are not girls. We are not REMFS. We are not doggies. We are Marines. We hold a line, period. (Apologize Wade, that's how we roll- nothing wrong per se with the Army - I'm just telling you what motivates, and by the time any soldier sees us, we are raggedy and the fight is over)

You send in the Marines you have sent the Navy and Air Force also. We will bring all that ordnance to bear. Marine aviators do not fly jets or helicopters, for example. (Also, ask a Navy man if HE could have been a Marine Aviator) They fly "ordnance platforms" - ask one if you ever meet one. I guarantee it will be the Marines that strike back when this PC pussy country gets nailed by the latest Islamist threat. Your squid SEALS can't bring any substantive firepower to the fight, as an example. Even this dumbass President wouldn't put the Army in before the Marines un-fucked it first. Your country sent the SEALS to get Osama Bin Laden. They came quite close to fucking that mission up, with a budget much larger than the entire Marine Corps. Can you believe they crashed and burned one of their fantsy schmantzy choppers going in? I'll never understand why these squids don't leave the killing business to us pros. I know the answer, and it's recruiting 17 year olds that think they are going to be SEALS, but wind up on some awful base schleppin' Navy shit around. It's a very effective recruiting tool. All those 17 year olds are going to be heroes, and mom and dad don't have to hear that the kid is going into the Marines. There is nothing more depressing than a Naval base, imo, and 99.99% wind up there, or on some ship as a paint-scraper. I assure you that you will get your war and chances for heroism in the Marines. Rare one does not, in the infantry, over 75% go there. and you will be that "hero". Good luck with that.

Very stubborn bunch, the Marines. You'd have liked being one...to most, in the past tense. I did, and I remain proud. It was not easy work. You go be one, then get back to me on it. Otherwise, I have to be impressed in other ways, if you have a story you want to tell to me. Just sayin'.
Gilligan
9 years ago
For a Marine's attitude and beliefs, I agree with you dfosterf, but you are a bit over the top on some of those comments Marine.

There is no need to put down the Navy SEALS. You would be hard pressed to find tougher guys one-on-one or the likes of the Army Spec operators or the Airborne guys.
I’ve been out after tangos with all of them and they have my deepest respect.

I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

For a Marine's attitude and beliefs, I agree with you dfosterf, but you are a bit over the top on some of those comments Marine.

There is no need to put down the Navy SEALS. You would be hard pressed to find tougher guys one-on-one or the likes of the Army Spec operators or the Airborne guys.
I’ve been out after tangos with all of them and they have my deepest respect.

Originally Posted by: Gilligan 

Gilligan that is Gunny being the Jarhead he is. The world begins and ends with his Devil Dogs. We let him grunt for a while then he takes a nap.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 years ago
They have my deepest respect, also, but, as Wayne mentioned, I like to bitch. 🤐 and I am all about my Corps. Hell, even Wayne gives me a pass, along with an explanation to you- and his son served very honorably in Afghanistan, as - (God forbid!) a doggie. He absolutely knows I mean nothing by it, respect very much his son's service, and sweated with him when his son was there.

Some of my best friends are squid-assed SEALS. Friggin' over-indulged, hyped, ridiculously TO&E'd asset -sucking prima-donna's that they are. Don't get bent out of shape about my comments, I assure you they do not, nor do I at the crap they give me. I'm taking a nap now, lol

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.