uffda udfa
9 years ago

Based strictly on the past four weeks, defensive end Khyri Thornton and outside linebacker Carl Bradford probably don’t warrant berths on the Green Bay Packers’ final 53-man roster.

JSOnline  wrote:

Great piece by McGinn... again, we fail to hit on defensive players in the draft. Thornton and Bradford should both be cut.

When I was lamenting this draft I took a lot of heat for doing so. As of now, and things can surely change, this looks like one of the worst drafts in Green Bay in a long long time. Abbrederis and Janis might be the two best things to come out of it when all is said and done.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago
Bradford should be playing ILB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
9 years ago
So you refuse to call Boykins a "lock" and insistent on a̶r̶g̶u̶i̶n̶g̶ debating with anyone who does because it's too early to call Boykins that as things could still change... but you're calling two rookies "bust"... seems a little hypocritical and/or pot stirring trollish... then again maybe it's because you like stirring the pot and debating and seems like you've always been very near the top of the most the "Most Posts" category ever since I've seen it be put in... trying to be like Aaron Rodgers and doing a little stat whoring of your own? =d>

Anyways I've said it before last year for D. Jones... to me I expect almost nothing out of rookie defensive interior linemen because they normally seem to need at least a year to adjust to the NFL. Yes I know that's not true for all but it seems true from most.

As for Bradford... yeah it seems like he's a bust. I can admit that just like I can admit Boykins was/is a lock if healthy.

I just find it interesting that you want to wait for all the possibility positive news and rush to post all the negative news and always want to debate it seems. But hey each to their own I guess.

GO PACK GO!!!

UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Bradford should be playing ILB.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I've been thinking some of the back-up OLB should be playing ILB, because the back-ups ILB were getting a lot of playing time and looking very poor... after a while of watching that I rather see how Bradford or Elliot or some of the other OLB might be able to fill in at ILB instead.

Also there has been some talk about Packers playing with 3 OLB on the field at once, so I've been wondering if the reason they're so heavy at OLB is because they might be planning a lot of 3 OLB on the field at once... we'll just have to wait and see.

Might be a very interesting cut down for most the positions on defense this year.

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

I've been thinking some of the back-up OLB should be playing ILB, because the back-ups ILB were getting a lot of playing time and looking very poor... after a while of watching that I rather see how Bradford or Elliot or some of the other OLB might be able to fill in at ILB instead.

Also there has been some talk about Packers playing with 3 OLB on the field at once, so I've been wondering if the reason they're so heavy at OLB is because they might be planning a lot of 3 OLB on the field at once... we'll just have to wait and see.

Might be a very interesting cut down for most the positions on defense this year.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Hm 3 OLB used as part of some 2-4/3-3 pass defense?

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
uffda udfa
9 years ago

So you refuse to call Boykins a "lock" and insistent on a̶r̶g̶u̶i̶n̶g̶ debating with anyone who does because it's too early to call Boykins that as things could still change... but you're calling two rookies "bust"... seems a little hypocritical and/or pot stirring trollish... then again maybe it's because you like stirring the pot and debating and seems like you've always been very near the top of the most the "Most Posts" category ever since I've seen it be put in... trying to be like Aaron Rodgers and doing a little stat whoring of your own? =d>

Anyways I've said it before last year for D. Jones... to me I expect almost nothing out of rookie defensive interior linemen because they normally seem to need at least a year to adjust to the NFL. Yes I know that's not true for all but it seems true from most.

As for Bradford... yeah it seems like he's a bust. I can admit that just like I can admit Boykins was/is a lock if healthy.

I just find it interesting that you want to wait for all the possibility positive news and rush to post all the negative news and always want to debate it seems. But hey each to their own I guess.

GO PACK GO!!!

Originally Posted by: beast 

Boykin... no s. Not Boykins! I have no idea what you're talking about. The stats? Worst thing you could ever do to a forum is keep stats. I'm for abolishing the total posts. Some use that as a badge of honor as if the amount of posts they have validates their opinion more than someone with less posts.

Write Bob McGinn and call him a troll. Do Thornton and or Bradford deserve to make this team over UDFA's who need the same amount of time to develop but have played far better than the drafted players? Neither one of those scrubs deserves a spot on our 53. Both have been INVISIBLE against deep backups for other teams. If you can't admit how brutally disappointing that is when a guy like Mike Pennel plays decently over your 3rd round DE, then I don't know what else to say. I'm a troll for giving my honest heartfelt opinion? I HATED this draft...just HATED it from the moment it started. One of the worst I can recall in my mind, and so far it looks like Janis is the only one with true playmaking ability. Richard Rodgers might be okay. Dix, Adams are run of the mill....Goodson isn't very good, Linsley is OK.

Please, recall that Ted Thompson said when he drafted this class it was about WINNING NOW. LMAO...that is just classic. His 2014 draft class is a bunch of turds in a punchbowl but it's about winning now? How in the world did we give this guy an extension? He routinely blows picks on our defense. With the amount of resources pumped into it for it to be that bad is beyond troubling. You don't see it though. I don't get it.

What I type here is what I believe. I don't do it to upset you. I may know you'll be upset and I find myself editing myself in some cases to avoid that. Other times I just have to let it loose regardless of the reaction it's going to bring because I believe it that strongly.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
9 years ago

Write Bob McGinn and call him a troll.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That would be more of a waste of my time than posting on a blog... McGinn knows he can be a troll as are a number of writing looking for hits/attention for being a bit harsh in the shock jock department... Skip Bayless is probably one of the leaders in that... seems like he tries to say the thing that will outrage listeners the most to keep them watching...

I don't think Bradford deserves to make the team...

Thornton sure why not? He has looked like one of the 6 best DL to me, and they have been keeping 6.

I'm a troll for giving my honest heartfelt opinion?

I didn't say that... I think you enjoy debating/arguing your points and maybe stirring the pot, yes... though it seems like when you disagree with something you can't let arguments go... (which I have the same problem time from time with people, but seems like you have it with everyone).

I HATED this draft...just HATED it from the moment it started. One of the worst I can recall in my mind, and so far it looks like Janis is the only one with true playmaking ability.

Base on what you seem to like, it seems like you go for true huge potential which are normally the high risk (with large chances of busting) but also the most potential if they don't bust out. I have fallen in love with some of them myself (I badly wanted Dontari Poe to be a Packer... I wanted them to trade up for him if he fell... he didn't fall though enough). But a number of those huge potential guys do bust as well other wise they don't fall into the later picks normally anyways.

I think this draft was more boring because of no trades, but I didn't hate this draft half as much as the Perry draft...

Please, recall that Ted Thompson said when he drafted this class it was about WINNING NOW.

Wait people listen to Thompson still? ... seriously? ... he hates talking with the media and going does it because he has too... so when he gets up there he doesn't say anything of importance just blows win and gives them stuff to write about.

I find myself editing myself in some cases to avoid that.

Thank you... and same here.

UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Hm 3 OLB used as part of some 2-4/3-3 pass defense?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I think 3 OLB as in sometimes using Peppers/Neal as a DL as well as maybe using one of the OLBers as in an ILBers in a certain package (not full time thing) but maybe in some 3rd down or need to rush the passer type defense.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
9 years ago
Let's face it,

Our staff has no f*cking clue what they are doing on defense.

From Ted to Dom.

We have for 5 years been playing the "square peg / round hole" game with personnel.

(Notable examples: Jarius Wynn, CJ Wilson, BJ Raji (DE), Ryan Pickett (DE), Jerel Worthy, Erik Walden, Mike Neal, Nick Perry)

Combo with terrible drafts and injuries... And still 5 years later we can't field a proper 11-man base 3/4.

And remember... This is the staff that started Jarrett Bush Week 1 against the 49ers.

We all knew, and know how that turned out.

Ted has had 5 years to get this D sorted, 5 drafts, 5 free agent classes, and it's as much a mess now as it was day 1.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
StarrMax1
9 years ago
Love the title of this thread.
Another attempt to validate the completely ignorant stance that Ted Thompson should not have had his contract extended.

Have they been disapointments? yes

Are they busts? Hell no!!!

When did the expectations for 3rd and 4th rnd draft picks become so high that if they don't immediately show they are starter or even immediate backup material, they are labeled busts?

It's great when it works out that way(see Bahktiari).

Only in the eyes of those who have one agenda and one agenda only on this forum, are these 2 guys busts, which of course makes the whole draft class a bust.

Complete stupidity!!!

Thornton will probably make the 53 man roster, he will also probably be one of the inactives the first part of the season.

Bradford on the other hand will probably be one of the last cuts, he will either get claimed or he won't, if he does, well good luck to him(won't be the 1st 4th rounder to ever get cut), if he doesn't, there is a pretty good chance he will end up on the practice squad.

The move to Inside Linebacker may be an option, but that wouldn't have happened in one pre-season anyway, so if that becomes the plan down the road, a year on the PS is just what he needs.

This is the one quote from the story, that those who didn't take the time to read the whole article would never have seen.

McGinn
"The object always is to win games. Does it make any difference if the players contributing to the winning cause are draft picks or free agents? It most assuredly does not."

Looking foward to the 10 pages of rebuttals and "quotes" from articles the last 9 years to validate what as I stated before, a completely ignorant stance.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.