Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:16:38 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

JSOnline wrote:
Based strictly on the past four weeks, defensive end Khyri Thornton and outside linebacker Carl Bradford probably don’t warrant berths on the Green Bay Packers’ final 53-man roster.


Great piece by McGinn... again, we fail to hit on defensive players in the draft. Thornton and Bradford should both be cut.

When I was lamenting this draft I took a lot of heat for doing so. As of now, and things can surely change, this looks like one of the worst drafts in Green Bay in a long long time. Abbrederis and Janis might be the two best things to come out of it when all is said and done.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:16:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,700
Applause Received: 662

Bradford should be playing ILB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:25:08 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 317

So you refuse to call Boykins a "lock" and insistent on a̶r̶g̶u̶i̶n̶g̶ debating with anyone who does because it's too early to call Boykins that as things could still change... but you're calling two rookies "bust"... seems a little hypocritical and/or pot stirring trollish... then again maybe it's because you like stirring the pot and debating and seems like you've always been very near the top of the most the "Most Posts" category ever since I've seen it be put in... trying to be like Aaron Rodgers and doing a little stat whoring of your own? Applause


Anyways I've said it before last year for D. Jones... to me I expect almost nothing out of rookie defensive interior linemen because they normally seem to need at least a year to adjust to the NFL. Yes I know that's not true for all but it seems true from most.

As for Bradford... yeah it seems like he's a bust. I can admit that just like I can admit Boykins was/is a lock if healthy.


I just find it interesting that you want to wait for all the possibility positive news and rush to post all the negative news and always want to debate it seems. But hey each to their own I guess.


GO PACK GO!!!
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:29:35 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 317

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Bradford should be playing ILB.


I've been thinking some of the back-up OLB should be playing ILB, because the back-ups ILB were getting a lot of playing time and looking very poor... after a while of watching that I rather see how Bradford or Elliot or some of the other OLB might be able to fill in at ILB instead.

Also there has been some talk about Packers playing with 3 OLB on the field at once, so I've been wondering if the reason they're so heavy at OLB is because they might be planning a lot of 3 OLB on the field at once... we'll just have to wait and see.

Might be a very interesting cut down for most the positions on defense this year.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:37:29 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 375
Applause Received: 483

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I've been thinking some of the back-up OLB should be playing ILB, because the back-ups ILB were getting a lot of playing time and looking very poor... after a while of watching that I rather see how Bradford or Elliot or some of the other OLB might be able to fill in at ILB instead.

Also there has been some talk about Packers playing with 3 OLB on the field at once, so I've been wondering if the reason they're so heavy at OLB is because they might be planning a lot of 3 OLB on the field at once... we'll just have to wait and see.

Might be a very interesting cut down for most the positions on defense this year.



Hm 3 OLB used as part of some 2-4/3-3 pass defense?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:41:43 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
So you refuse to call Boykins a "lock" and insistent on a̶r̶g̶u̶i̶n̶g̶ debating with anyone who does because it's too early to call Boykins that as things could still change... but you're calling two rookies "bust"... seems a little hypocritical and/or pot stirring trollish... then again maybe it's because you like stirring the pot and debating and seems like you've always been very near the top of the most the "Most Posts" category ever since I've seen it be put in... trying to be like Aaron Rodgers and doing a little stat whoring of your own? Applause


Anyways I've said it before last year for D. Jones... to me I expect almost nothing out of rookie defensive interior linemen because they normally seem to need at least a year to adjust to the NFL. Yes I know that's not true for all but it seems true from most.

As for Bradford... yeah it seems like he's a bust. I can admit that just like I can admit Boykins was/is a lock if healthy.


I just find it interesting that you want to wait for all the possibility positive news and rush to post all the negative news and always want to debate it seems. But hey each to their own I guess.


GO PACK GO!!!


Boykin... no s. Not Boykins! I have no idea what you're talking about. The stats? Worst thing you could ever do to a forum is keep stats. I'm for abolishing the total posts. Some use that as a badge of honor as if the amount of posts they have validates their opinion more than someone with less posts.

Write Bob McGinn and call him a troll. Do Thornton and or Bradford deserve to make this team over UDFA's who need the same amount of time to develop but have played far better than the drafted players? Neither one of those scrubs deserves a spot on our 53. Both have been INVISIBLE against deep backups for other teams. If you can't admit how brutally disappointing that is when a guy like Mike Pennel plays decently over your 3rd round DE, then I don't know what else to say. I'm a troll for giving my honest heartfelt opinion? I HATED this draft...just HATED it from the moment it started. One of the worst I can recall in my mind, and so far it looks like Janis is the only one with true playmaking ability. Richard Rodgers might be okay. Dix, Adams are run of the mill....Goodson isn't very good, Linsley is OK.

Please, recall that Ted Thompson said when he drafted this class it was about WINNING NOW. LMAO...that is just classic. His 2014 draft class is a bunch of turds in a punchbowl but it's about winning now? How in the world did we give this guy an extension? He routinely blows picks on our defense. With the amount of resources pumped into it for it to be that bad is beyond troubling. You don't see it though. I don't get it.

What I type here is what I believe. I don't do it to upset you. I may know you'll be upset and I find myself editing myself in some cases to avoid that. Other times I just have to let it loose regardless of the reaction it's going to bring because I believe it that strongly.



UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:19:21 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 317

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Write Bob McGinn and call him a troll.

That would be more of a waste of my time than posting on a blog... McGinn knows he can be a troll as are a number of writing looking for hits/attention for being a bit harsh in the shock jock department... Skip Bayless is probably one of the leaders in that... seems like he tries to say the thing that will outrage listeners the most to keep them watching...

I don't think Bradford deserves to make the team...

Thornton sure why not? He has looked like one of the 6 best DL to me, and they have been keeping 6.
Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I'm a troll for giving my honest heartfelt opinion?


I didn't say that... I think you enjoy debating/arguing your points and maybe stirring the pot, yes... though it seems like when you disagree with something you can't let arguments go... (which I have the same problem time from time with people, but seems like you have it with everyone).

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I HATED this draft...just HATED it from the moment it started. One of the worst I can recall in my mind, and so far it looks like Janis is the only one with true playmaking ability.


Base on what you seem to like, it seems like you go for true huge potential which are normally the high risk (with large chances of busting) but also the most potential if they don't bust out. I have fallen in love with some of them myself (I badly wanted Dontari Poe to be a Packer... I wanted them to trade up for him if he fell... he didn't fall though enough). But a number of those huge potential guys do bust as well other wise they don't fall into the later picks normally anyways.

I think this draft was more boring because of no trades, but I didn't hate this draft half as much as the Perry draft...

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Please, recall that Ted Thompson said when he drafted this class it was about WINNING NOW.

Wait people listen to Thompson still? ... seriously? ... he hates talking with the media and going does it because he has too... so when he gets up there he doesn't say anything of importance just blows win and gives them stuff to write about.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I find myself editing myself in some cases to avoid that.


Thank you... and same here.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:22:34 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 317

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Hm 3 OLB used as part of some 2-4/3-3 pass defense?

I think 3 OLB as in sometimes using Peppers/Neal as a DL as well as maybe using one of the OLBers as in an ILBers in a certain package (not full time thing) but maybe in some 3rd down or need to rush the passer type defense.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Laser Gunns  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:16:43 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/30/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 256

Let's face it,

Our staff has no f*cking clue what they are doing on defense.

From Ted to Dom.

We have for 5 years been playing the "square peg / round hole" game with personnel.

(Notable examples: Jarius Wynn, CJ Wilson, BJ Raji (DE), Ryan Pickett (DE), Jerel Worthy, Erik Walden, Mike Neal, Nick Perry)

Combo with terrible drafts and injuries... And still 5 years later we can't field a proper 11-man base 3/4.

And remember... This is the staff that started Jarrett Bush Week 1 against the 49ers.

We all knew, and know how that turned out.

Ted has had 5 years to get this D sorted, 5 drafts, 5 free agent classes, and it's as much a mess now as it was day 1.


MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline StarrMax1  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 5:37:47 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/9/2014(UTC)
Location: Toledo

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Love the title of this thread.
Another attempt to validate the completely ignorant stance that Ted Thompson should not have had his contract extended.

Have they been disapointments? yes

Are they busts? Hell no!!!

When did the expectations for 3rd and 4th rnd draft picks become so high that if they don't immediately show they are starter or even immediate backup material, they are labeled busts?

It's great when it works out that way(see Bahktiari).

Only in the eyes of those who have one agenda and one agenda only on this forum, are these 2 guys busts, which of course makes the whole draft class a bust.

Complete stupidity!!!

Thornton will probably make the 53 man roster, he will also probably be one of the inactives the first part of the season.

Bradford on the other hand will probably be one of the last cuts, he will either get claimed or he won't, if he does, well good luck to him(won't be the 1st 4th rounder to ever get cut), if he doesn't, there is a pretty good chance he will end up on the practice squad.

The move to Inside Linebacker may be an option, but that wouldn't have happened in one pre-season anyway, so if that becomes the plan down the road, a year on the PS is just what he needs.

This is the one quote from the story, that those who didn't take the time to read the whole article would never have seen.

McGinn
"The object always is to win games. Does it make any difference if the players contributing to the winning cause are draft picks or free agents? It most assuredly does not."

Looking foward to the 10 pages of rebuttals and "quotes" from articles the last 9 years to validate what as I stated before, a completely ignorant stance.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 8/24/2014(UTC), beast on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Reignman

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Since69

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

19-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

18-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis

18-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

18-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind