Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:16:38 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

JSOnline wrote:
Based strictly on the past four weeks, defensive end Khyri Thornton and outside linebacker Carl Bradford probably don’t warrant berths on the Green Bay Packers’ final 53-man roster.


Great piece by McGinn... again, we fail to hit on defensive players in the draft. Thornton and Bradford should both be cut.

When I was lamenting this draft I took a lot of heat for doing so. As of now, and things can surely change, this looks like one of the worst drafts in Green Bay in a long long time. Abbrederis and Janis might be the two best things to come out of it when all is said and done.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Online nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:16:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,714
Applause Received: 665

Bradford should be playing ILB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:25:08 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 320

So you refuse to call Boykins a "lock" and insistent on a̶r̶g̶u̶i̶n̶g̶ debating with anyone who does because it's too early to call Boykins that as things could still change... but you're calling two rookies "bust"... seems a little hypocritical and/or pot stirring trollish... then again maybe it's because you like stirring the pot and debating and seems like you've always been very near the top of the most the "Most Posts" category ever since I've seen it be put in... trying to be like Aaron Rodgers and doing a little stat whoring of your own? Applause


Anyways I've said it before last year for D. Jones... to me I expect almost nothing out of rookie defensive interior linemen because they normally seem to need at least a year to adjust to the NFL. Yes I know that's not true for all but it seems true from most.

As for Bradford... yeah it seems like he's a bust. I can admit that just like I can admit Boykins was/is a lock if healthy.


I just find it interesting that you want to wait for all the possibility positive news and rush to post all the negative news and always want to debate it seems. But hey each to their own I guess.


GO PACK GO!!!
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:29:35 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Bradford should be playing ILB.


I've been thinking some of the back-up OLB should be playing ILB, because the back-ups ILB were getting a lot of playing time and looking very poor... after a while of watching that I rather see how Bradford or Elliot or some of the other OLB might be able to fill in at ILB instead.

Also there has been some talk about Packers playing with 3 OLB on the field at once, so I've been wondering if the reason they're so heavy at OLB is because they might be planning a lot of 3 OLB on the field at once... we'll just have to wait and see.

Might be a very interesting cut down for most the positions on defense this year.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Online Mucky Tundra  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:37:29 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 487

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I've been thinking some of the back-up OLB should be playing ILB, because the back-ups ILB were getting a lot of playing time and looking very poor... after a while of watching that I rather see how Bradford or Elliot or some of the other OLB might be able to fill in at ILB instead.

Also there has been some talk about Packers playing with 3 OLB on the field at once, so I've been wondering if the reason they're so heavy at OLB is because they might be planning a lot of 3 OLB on the field at once... we'll just have to wait and see.

Might be a very interesting cut down for most the positions on defense this year.



Hm 3 OLB used as part of some 2-4/3-3 pass defense?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:41:43 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
So you refuse to call Boykins a "lock" and insistent on a̶r̶g̶u̶i̶n̶g̶ debating with anyone who does because it's too early to call Boykins that as things could still change... but you're calling two rookies "bust"... seems a little hypocritical and/or pot stirring trollish... then again maybe it's because you like stirring the pot and debating and seems like you've always been very near the top of the most the "Most Posts" category ever since I've seen it be put in... trying to be like Aaron Rodgers and doing a little stat whoring of your own? Applause


Anyways I've said it before last year for D. Jones... to me I expect almost nothing out of rookie defensive interior linemen because they normally seem to need at least a year to adjust to the NFL. Yes I know that's not true for all but it seems true from most.

As for Bradford... yeah it seems like he's a bust. I can admit that just like I can admit Boykins was/is a lock if healthy.


I just find it interesting that you want to wait for all the possibility positive news and rush to post all the negative news and always want to debate it seems. But hey each to their own I guess.


GO PACK GO!!!


Boykin... no s. Not Boykins! I have no idea what you're talking about. The stats? Worst thing you could ever do to a forum is keep stats. I'm for abolishing the total posts. Some use that as a badge of honor as if the amount of posts they have validates their opinion more than someone with less posts.

Write Bob McGinn and call him a troll. Do Thornton and or Bradford deserve to make this team over UDFA's who need the same amount of time to develop but have played far better than the drafted players? Neither one of those scrubs deserves a spot on our 53. Both have been INVISIBLE against deep backups for other teams. If you can't admit how brutally disappointing that is when a guy like Mike Pennel plays decently over your 3rd round DE, then I don't know what else to say. I'm a troll for giving my honest heartfelt opinion? I HATED this draft...just HATED it from the moment it started. One of the worst I can recall in my mind, and so far it looks like Janis is the only one with true playmaking ability. Richard Rodgers might be okay. Dix, Adams are run of the mill....Goodson isn't very good, Linsley is OK.

Please, recall that Ted Thompson said when he drafted this class it was about WINNING NOW. LMAO...that is just classic. His 2014 draft class is a bunch of turds in a punchbowl but it's about winning now? How in the world did we give this guy an extension? He routinely blows picks on our defense. With the amount of resources pumped into it for it to be that bad is beyond troubling. You don't see it though. I don't get it.

What I type here is what I believe. I don't do it to upset you. I may know you'll be upset and I find myself editing myself in some cases to avoid that. Other times I just have to let it loose regardless of the reaction it's going to bring because I believe it that strongly.



UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:19:21 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Write Bob McGinn and call him a troll.

That would be more of a waste of my time than posting on a blog... McGinn knows he can be a troll as are a number of writing looking for hits/attention for being a bit harsh in the shock jock department... Skip Bayless is probably one of the leaders in that... seems like he tries to say the thing that will outrage listeners the most to keep them watching...

I don't think Bradford deserves to make the team...

Thornton sure why not? He has looked like one of the 6 best DL to me, and they have been keeping 6.
Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I'm a troll for giving my honest heartfelt opinion?


I didn't say that... I think you enjoy debating/arguing your points and maybe stirring the pot, yes... though it seems like when you disagree with something you can't let arguments go... (which I have the same problem time from time with people, but seems like you have it with everyone).

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I HATED this draft...just HATED it from the moment it started. One of the worst I can recall in my mind, and so far it looks like Janis is the only one with true playmaking ability.


Base on what you seem to like, it seems like you go for true huge potential which are normally the high risk (with large chances of busting) but also the most potential if they don't bust out. I have fallen in love with some of them myself (I badly wanted Dontari Poe to be a Packer... I wanted them to trade up for him if he fell... he didn't fall though enough). But a number of those huge potential guys do bust as well other wise they don't fall into the later picks normally anyways.

I think this draft was more boring because of no trades, but I didn't hate this draft half as much as the Perry draft...

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Please, recall that Ted Thompson said when he drafted this class it was about WINNING NOW.

Wait people listen to Thompson still? ... seriously? ... he hates talking with the media and going does it because he has too... so when he gets up there he doesn't say anything of importance just blows win and gives them stuff to write about.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I find myself editing myself in some cases to avoid that.


Thank you... and same here.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:22:34 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Hm 3 OLB used as part of some 2-4/3-3 pass defense?

I think 3 OLB as in sometimes using Peppers/Neal as a DL as well as maybe using one of the OLBers as in an ILBers in a certain package (not full time thing) but maybe in some 3rd down or need to rush the passer type defense.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Laser Gunns  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:16:43 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/30/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 256

Let's face it,

Our staff has no f*cking clue what they are doing on defense.

From Ted to Dom.

We have for 5 years been playing the "square peg / round hole" game with personnel.

(Notable examples: Jarius Wynn, CJ Wilson, BJ Raji (DE), Ryan Pickett (DE), Jerel Worthy, Erik Walden, Mike Neal, Nick Perry)

Combo with terrible drafts and injuries... And still 5 years later we can't field a proper 11-man base 3/4.

And remember... This is the staff that started Jarrett Bush Week 1 against the 49ers.

We all knew, and know how that turned out.

Ted has had 5 years to get this D sorted, 5 drafts, 5 free agent classes, and it's as much a mess now as it was day 1.


MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline StarrMax1  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 5:37:47 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/9/2014(UTC)
Location: Toledo

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Love the title of this thread.
Another attempt to validate the completely ignorant stance that Ted Thompson should not have had his contract extended.

Have they been disapointments? yes

Are they busts? Hell no!!!

When did the expectations for 3rd and 4th rnd draft picks become so high that if they don't immediately show they are starter or even immediate backup material, they are labeled busts?

It's great when it works out that way(see Bahktiari).

Only in the eyes of those who have one agenda and one agenda only on this forum, are these 2 guys busts, which of course makes the whole draft class a bust.

Complete stupidity!!!

Thornton will probably make the 53 man roster, he will also probably be one of the inactives the first part of the season.

Bradford on the other hand will probably be one of the last cuts, he will either get claimed or he won't, if he does, well good luck to him(won't be the 1st 4th rounder to ever get cut), if he doesn't, there is a pretty good chance he will end up on the practice squad.

The move to Inside Linebacker may be an option, but that wouldn't have happened in one pre-season anyway, so if that becomes the plan down the road, a year on the PS is just what he needs.

This is the one quote from the story, that those who didn't take the time to read the whole article would never have seen.

McGinn
"The object always is to win games. Does it make any difference if the players contributing to the winning cause are draft picks or free agents? It most assuredly does not."

Looking foward to the 10 pages of rebuttals and "quotes" from articles the last 9 years to validate what as I stated before, a completely ignorant stance.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 8/24/2014(UTC), beast on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:53:42 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 Go to Quoted Post

McGinn
"The object always is to win games. Does it make any difference if the players contributing to the winning cause are draft picks or free agents? It most assuredly does not."


Exactly.

First, looking at just the draft class, it's hard to call it a dud this early for all the obvious reasons (3 year assessment), plus it looks like the potential is there to have picked up 4 solid receiving threats, a C that could develop as a long snapper and/or C, and a safe pick that could be a solid albeit maybe not spectacular safety. Clearly too early to say that with any certainty, just as it's too early to definitively declare Thornton and Bradford busts or effectively grade this draft.

Additionally, Elliot and Pennel (I'll admit I was skeptical about him and am starting to change my opinion) appear to be solid additions that could not only make the roster, but possibly be solid contributors on the active roster.



Offline uffda udfa  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:14:51 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 Go to Quoted Post
Love the title of this thread.
Another attempt to validate the completely ignorant stance that Ted Thompson should not have had his contract extended.

Have they been disapointments? yes

Are they busts? Hell no!!!

When did the expectations for 3rd and 4th rnd draft picks become so high that if they don't immediately show they are starter or even immediate backup material, they are labeled busts?

It's great when it works out that way(see Bahktiari).

Only in the eyes of those who have one agenda and one agenda only on this forum, are these 2 guys busts, which of course makes the whole draft class a bust.

Complete stupidity!!!

Thornton will probably make the 53 man roster, he will also probably be one of the inactives the first part of the season.

Bradford on the other hand will probably be one of the last cuts, he will either get claimed or he won't, if he does, well good luck to him(won't be the 1st 4th rounder to ever get cut), if he doesn't, there is a pretty good chance he will end up on the practice squad.

The move to Inside Linebacker may be an option, but that wouldn't have happened in one pre-season anyway, so if that becomes the plan down the road, a year on the PS is just what he needs.

This is the one quote from the story, that those who didn't take the time to read the whole article would never have seen.

McGinn
"The object always is to win games. Does it make any difference if the players contributing to the winning cause are draft picks or free agents? It most assuredly does not."

Looking foward to the 10 pages of rebuttals and "quotes" from articles the last 9 years to validate what as I stated before, a completely ignorant stance.


The point is you can't admit it is disappointing that UDFA's have outplayed our 3rd and 4th rounders...I would argue that Janis our 7th has outplayed our 2nd in Adams. Rolle at a different position has outplayed our 1 in Dix, but Rolle wasn't a this year guy. It just gets old watching our draftees bringing nothing to the table. It's a total failure by the GM and scouting department and no it is not wrong or crazy to suggest Ted Thompson shouldn't have gotten an extension. How many more years do you want to watch this defense suck and Aaron's career tick away? You're fine with it and it won't take 15 pages to figure it out.

Yes, it doesn't matter where guys come from but the true difference makers are found in Round 1... we can get solid players as UDFA's but next to none of them will ever be special like 1st rounders can be. Check that HOF link I posted. The overwhelming # of HOF players come from Round 1. That is where our two best came from in Aaron and Clay.

This sad defense of Ted Thompson is puzzling. You do not see it as it is... I understand the love affair in the sense the warm and fuzzy you get being in the playoffs. We've left so much on the table it's sad. You focus on the playoff appearances. I focus on the waste of what we do when we get there.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline gbguy20  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:35:36 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Isn't Bradford one of the guys that uffda was actually happy with after the draft?
call me Dan
Offline DarkaneRules  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:52:30 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Great piece by McGinn... again, we fail to hit on defensive players in the draft. Thornton and Bradford should both be cut.

When I was lamenting this draft I took a lot of heat for doing so. As of now, and things can surely change, this looks like one of the worst drafts in Green Bay in a long long time. Abbrederis and Janis might be the two best things to come out of it when all is said and done.


Really enjoyed this article. It made a lot of great observations. The media is allowed to be just as reactionary as we are if they want. I have built a trust in McGinn's opinion and a lot of it rang true for me. But as far as the main premise of the article, I am currently 50/50. Thornton has been even more disappointing when he is compared against Boyd. I like Boyd. He really came on at the end of last season and continues to show improvement this pre-season. However, last pre-season I wasn't impressed with him early on so give Thornton a freaking chance here people.

Bradford on the other hand is at a position in this defense where you at least need to see something... a hint of anything. He hasn't shown it and although I won't call Thornton a wasted pick yet, I am leaning strongly toward that statement for Carl. Despite his build and where we all think he should be playing, I expected to see... ya know... something!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline musccy  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:05:09 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
I like Boyd. He really came on at the end of last season and continues to show improvement this pre-season. However, last pre-season I wasn't impressed with him early on so give Thornton a freaking chance here people.
!

ThumpUp He was inactive until November-ish, and now many of us feel he'll be a solid contributor. Same thing for Thornton, we're talking about 4 weeks of camp from a guy that many media "experts" felt was a raw talent that may have been a reach, but was picked on a projection. Again, 4 weeks and we're throwing in the towel on a mid-round pick?





thanks Post received 2 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/24/2014(UTC), beast on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Offline StarrMax1  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:46:06 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/9/2014(UTC)
Location: Toledo

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
The point is you can't admit it is disappointing that UDFA's have outplayed our 3rd and 4th rounders...I would argue that Janis our 7th has outplayed our 2nd in Adams. Rolle at a different position has outplayed our 1 in Dix, but Rolle wasn't a this year guy. It just gets old watching our draftees bringing nothing to the table. It's a total failure by the GM and scouting department and no it is not wrong or crazy to suggest Ted Thompson shouldn't have gotten an extension. How many more years do you want to watch this defense suck and Aaron's career tick away? You're fine with it and it won't take 15 pages to figure it out.

Yes, it doesn't matter where guys come from but the true difference makers are found in Round 1... we can get solid players as UDFA's but next to none of them will ever be special like 1st rounders can be. Check that HOF link I posted. The overwhelming # of HOF players come from Round 1. That is where our two best came from in Aaron and Clay.

This sad defense of Ted Thompson is puzzling. You do not see it as it is... I understand the love affair in the sense the warm and fuzzy you get being in the playoffs. We've left so much on the table it's sad. You focus on the playoff appearances. I focus on the waste of what we do when we get there.


Same bullshit, different thread, blah, blah, blah.

I get you don't like Ted Thompson,that's fine, your opinion, beyond that, you haven't posted one other thing that is YOUR opinion.

All you do is drudge up old articles, post them, like they are suppose to validate anything.

So sick of hearing about "Aaron's career ticking away", like he is the only guy playing football in Green Bay.

So tired of you using your psycho babble trying to convince others that we all should agree with you.

I'm suppose to feel guilty because The Packers haven't won in the playoffs in a couple of years, or I'm not the fan you are because I can actually enjoy watching The Packers play football whether they win or lose.

I can't admit UDFA's have outplayed some draft picks?

It happens every year, I'll give Ted Thompson and his scouts credit for bringing in the guys who do excell as UDFA's, without them, there would be a hell of a lot more losing in Green Bay.

So,obviously by your post, you do expect any player who is drafted by The Green Bay Packers to instantly be starter ready. (Unrealistic)

You remind me of that 90's rapper Vanilla Ice, "ice ice baby", one hit wonder, but he just kept regurgitating it time and time again, in different genre's, until everyone just got sick of the song.

Find a new Rap, your woe is me, I don't understand, is just making most sick.

I really question whether you are really a Packer fan, as much negativity that flies around this forum at times, it doesn't compare to your absolute crap attitude.

Can't Wait, we still have 9 pages to go.

Please post me an article saying Rolle has outplayed Clinton Dix.

Or is this just another of your many fabrications?

Tell me again how u just don't understand how I can enjoy Packer Football.

I'll tell you again, your are just full of crap.





thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:09:14 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 Go to Quoted Post


I can't admit UDFA's have outplayed some draft picks?

It happens every year, I'll give Ted Thompson and his scouts credit for bringing in the guys who do excell as UDFA's, without them, there would be a hell of a lot more losing in Green Bay.



Uffda or others who criticize the team for missing in early rounds have a point. As I've stated in other threads, there are tangible consequences for missing early, especially for a team that doesn't utilize F.A. often.

With that said, it ultimately comes down to fielding the best team by whatever means necessary. The same scouts missing in the early rounds are the ones finding Shields, Elliot, Barclay, Pennel, etc. so you can't solely criticize them for the misses.

Offline DarkaneRules  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:44:21 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

If Elliot turns out to be a player and Bradford doesn't I won't be upset because of where they're drafted. At the end of the day, that really doesn't matter me as long as you find talented guys on your 53 and field a competitive team. If this were last year though, I'd be peeved because the OLB depth was really bad last year.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline uffda udfa  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:59:02 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
Isn't Bradford one of the guys that uffda was actually happy with after the draft?


Yes. Go back and see why I was happy. Read what I wrote when I heard not long after he was picked that they were going to use him as an OLB. I was happy because I thought he'd bring some crazy toughness to the middle of the D. I said Bradford would be a major bust at OLB and same for Thornton on DL. Read how I lamented his terrible measurables for OLB. McGinn mentioned those in his piece that every scout but apparently the Packers scouts knew this kid couldn't play OLB at the NFL level. There is a failing and disconnect somewhere. We can't wait to pounce on guys falling down draft boards, but they usually fall for a reason. Not always but most of the time. See Worthy... see Bradford...Bulaga, etc. Before you hammer me for Bulaga, he was touted as a high pick because he was supposed to be a LT, which he is not. A 1st rounder on a right tackle is a waste especially given who we could've added instead. Dez Bryant was sitting there and we took a stiff of a LT in Bryan Bulaga. Dez Bryant is an absolute monster...a true superstar. Bulaga is an adequate RIGHT tackle. Another terrible miss for what we could've done there. I was losing my mind seeing Dez sitting there and we took the guy who couldn't play LT...all the other NFL teams knew he couldn't play it...but not us... we saw that great value and missed out on a superstar. I follow the draft very closely....my favorite event in sports. Ted Thompson ain't as good as you think...especially up high. I love what we do after the draft but during the first rounds unless it's a WR you can usually forget about getting anything of value.

If you recall the Bradford thing, then you must also recall I was happy with Abbrederis and Janis...and Lyerla. Those were the 3 guys I was most excited about.


UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:15:31 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Cool. In any case, we are alright at OLB and DE this year I believe. The depth is tight at Center and NT though and we have Raji go down and now Tretter is not practicing today. Every year seems to have another couple position group or two draw the short end of the stick.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline beast  
#21 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:21:23 AM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Yes. Go back and see why I was happy. Read what I wrote when I heard not long after he was picked that they were going to use him as an OLB. I was happy because I thought he'd bring some crazy toughness to the middle of the D. I said Bradford would be a major bust at OLB and same for Thornton on DL. Read how I lamented his terrible measurables for OLB. McGinn mentioned those in his piece that every scout but apparently the Packers scouts knew this kid couldn't play OLB at the NFL level. There is a failing and disconnect somewhere. We can't wait to pounce on guys falling down draft boards, but they usually fall for a reason. Not always but most of the time. See Worthy... see Bradford...Bulaga, etc. Before you hammer me for Bulaga, he was touted as a high pick because he was supposed to be a LT, which he is not. A 1st rounder on a right tackle is a waste especially given who we could've added instead. Dez Bryant was sitting there and we took a stiff of a LT in Bryan Bulaga. Dez Bryant is an absolute monster...a true superstar. Bulaga is an adequate RIGHT tackle. Another terrible miss for what we could've done there. I was losing my mind seeing Dez sitting there and we took the guy who couldn't play LT...all the other NFL teams knew he couldn't play it...but not us... we saw that great value and missed out on a superstar. I follow the draft very closely....my favorite event in sports. Ted Thompson ain't as good as you think...especially up high. I love what we do after the draft but during the first rounds unless it's a WR you can usually forget about getting anything of value.

If you recall the Bradford thing, then you must also recall I was happy with Abbrederis and Janis...and Lyerla. Those were the 3 guys I was most excited about.


And if you followed all teams as closely as you follow the Packers you would know that's true for all teams... they're all pasted over some true studs for some duds... just Packers are more personal so you get more upset about it but the same thing happens all over.

Also there are times when those big hype machines are dead wrong... I remember when Packers fans were PISSED OFF at Ted Thompson because he had a chance to draft the highest ceiling WR in a long time and he traded the pick away... and the pick was used that super hyped player Chad Jackson ... (who completely busted)... and the team "stupidity" just settled for some no named kid from a small school named Greg Jennings.

Sometimes the high potential guys make it... other times they're complete bust and/or aren't worth the headaches they cause such as RB Marshawn Lynch to the Bills (lots of Packers wants wanted him as there was a big need for a RB, but I didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.... same was true when they looked to trade him though it seems like he's gotten better off the field, or at least not caught doing stupid stuff nearly as much).


But all this anger would be true for any team you closely followed, as they're all pasted over studs for bust and some writer comes along and says it was so clear to them... or find stouts (or claim they find scouts) they say it was so clear to them.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 3 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/24/2014(UTC), earthquake on 8/24/2014(UTC), musccy on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#22 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:39:28 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Dez Bryant? Didn't the Cowboys have to hire a babysitter to keep him from screwing up his off-the-field life?




Offline beast  
#23 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:57:11 AM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Dez Bryant? Didn't the Cowboys have to hire a babysitter to keep him from screwing up his off-the-field life?


I forgot about that... I never did hear the end results but I believe I remember when Skip Bayless was speculating about a physical altercation Bryant got into, sounded like the speculation was the Bryant might of gotten into a physical altercation with his so called "babysitter"... of course it's Skip Bayless and speculation so you can't put too much into that...

But anyways a couple of places seem to have some of the rules set for Bryant

sportsgrid wrote:
• A midnight curfew. If he’s going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can’t attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.


Yeah I'm pretty sure Thompson too cheap to buy all that stuff to follow a player around 24/7 Two Cents
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline musccy  
#24 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:03:24 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Thank you Beast. I didn't recall the specifics, but knew that was the general idea. He was so immature that the organization had to hire someone to protect the athlete from themselves. Ted, what an idiot, he didn't pick that guy and instead "settled" for a guy that should be playing left tackle but is "only" starting at RT.
Offline uffda udfa  
#25 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:15:08 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
And if you followed all teams as closely as you follow the Packers you would know that's true for all teams... they're all pasted over some true studs for some duds... just Packers are more personal so you get more upset about it but the same thing happens all over.

Also there are times when those big hype machines are dead wrong... I remember when Packers fans were PISSED OFF at Ted Thompson because he had a chance to draft the highest ceiling WR in a long time and he traded the pick away... and the pick was used that super hyped player Chad Jackson ... (who completely busted)... and the team "stupidity" just settled for some no named kid from a small school named Greg Jennings.

Sometimes the high potential guys make it... other times they're complete bust and/or aren't worth the headaches they cause such as RB Marshawn Lynch to the Bills (lots of Packers wants wanted him as there was a big need for a RB, but I didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.... same was true when they looked to trade him though it seems like he's gotten better off the field, or at least not caught doing stupid stuff nearly as much).


But all this anger would be true for any team you closely followed, as they're all pasted over studs for bust and some writer comes along and says it was so clear to them... or find stouts (or claim they find scouts) they say it was so clear to them.



Yes...I understand...but... in those cases where GM's miss and miss often up high the DO NOT GET EXTENSIONS!! They get FIRED. We all know as fans our D has been poor for years. Our GM has tried to fix it THROUGH THE DRAFT. How's he done? Can you be honest and objective or do you just have to say he's done well because he's the Packers GM? He's done a horrendous job over the last several years. This defense has not gotten better at all. I can't think of another situation where a team has pumped the resources into one side of the ball with so little in return to see the person responsible get extended for failing. Yes, I know...we're in the playoffs. Thank you, Aaron Rodgers. Ted Thompson gets immunity from his MAJOR failings because he drafted Aaron Rodgers.

It isn't anger... it's just frustrating to the competitor in me sense. I like to be the best. Being very good is failure to me, personally. The best isn't even the goal...perfection is. Give all you have to get there not make excuses about how great it is that you're good and that's okay. You think I'm negative and whatever...but I have a different standard I try to live by and in sports you don't settle for anything but the ultimate which is winning it all. Most of you are comfortable watching the team you follow not do all they can to get there and make excuses for not getting there. I wish to see us go for it and bring in some studs where they should've come up high in the draft. You miss on studs in the draft and you don't use FA then you've doubled down on your losses.

Watching Green Bay is still fun for me because I can still watch the best ever on offense. I just cringe having to watch a pitiful group of defenders that limits this team. It's the anchor around the ankle. Our current leadership has tried and failed several times to fix it. Your enjoyment and my enjoyment have nothing to do with each others. I'm happy that you can find joy sporting your divisional championship gear and bragging to your buddies that your team won the division. I watch in the hopes we win it all...nothing else matters.
Ted Thompson is not a guy who cares and burns to be a world champion...he burns to be above average and that is what we are as a franchise. Give us a a WINNER...someone sold out to win it all and won't accept failure. 3 years in a row we've failed but what you notice is divisional championships. I notice we suck in the playoffs. I notice we have a defense that hasn't gotten any better yet we're committed to the same defensive staff, and GM who can't fix it. Yes, that is frustrating knowing we could be so much better and not be.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann