musccy
9 years ago

McGinn
"The object always is to win games. Does it make any difference if the players contributing to the winning cause are draft picks or free agents? It most assuredly does not."

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 

Exactly.

First, looking at just the draft class, it's hard to call it a dud this early for all the obvious reasons (3 year assessment), plus it looks like the potential is there to have picked up 4 solid receiving threats, a C that could develop as a long snapper and/or C, and a safe pick that could be a solid albeit maybe not spectacular safety. Clearly too early to say that with any certainty, just as it's too early to definitively declare Thornton and Bradford busts or effectively grade this draft.

Additionally, Elliot and Pennel (I'll admit I was skeptical about him and am starting to change my opinion) appear to be solid additions that could not only make the roster, but possibly be solid contributors on the active roster.

uffda udfa
9 years ago

Love the title of this thread.
Another attempt to validate the completely ignorant stance that Ted Thompson should not have had his contract extended.

Have they been disapointments? yes

Are they busts? Hell no!!!

When did the expectations for 3rd and 4th rnd draft picks become so high that if they don't immediately show they are starter or even immediate backup material, they are labeled busts?

It's great when it works out that way(see Bahktiari).

Only in the eyes of those who have one agenda and one agenda only on this forum, are these 2 guys busts, which of course makes the whole draft class a bust.

Complete stupidity!!!

Thornton will probably make the 53 man roster, he will also probably be one of the inactives the first part of the season.

Bradford on the other hand will probably be one of the last cuts, he will either get claimed or he won't, if he does, well good luck to him(won't be the 1st 4th rounder to ever get cut), if he doesn't, there is a pretty good chance he will end up on the practice squad.

The move to Inside Linebacker may be an option, but that wouldn't have happened in one pre-season anyway, so if that becomes the plan down the road, a year on the PS is just what he needs.

This is the one quote from the story, that those who didn't take the time to read the whole article would never have seen.

McGinn
"The object always is to win games. Does it make any difference if the players contributing to the winning cause are draft picks or free agents? It most assuredly does not."

Looking foward to the 10 pages of rebuttals and "quotes" from articles the last 9 years to validate what as I stated before, a completely ignorant stance.

The point is you can't admit it is disappointing that UDFA's have outplayed our 3rd and 4th rounders...I would argue that Janis our 7th has outplayed our 2nd in Adams. Rolle at a different position has outplayed our 1 in Dix, but Rolle wasn't a this year guy. It just gets old watching our draftees bringing nothing to the table. It's a total failure by the GM and scouting department and no it is not wrong or crazy to suggest Ted Thompson shouldn't have gotten an extension. How many more years do you want to watch this defense suck and Aaron's career tick away? You're fine with it and it won't take 15 pages to figure it out.

Yes, it doesn't matter where guys come from but the true difference makers are found in Round 1... we can get solid players as UDFA's but next to none of them will ever be special like 1st rounders can be. Check that HOF link I posted. The overwhelming # of HOF players come from Round 1. That is where our two best came from in Aaron and Clay.

This sad defense of Ted Thompson is puzzling. You do not see it as it is... I understand the love affair in the sense the warm and fuzzy you get being in the playoffs. We've left so much on the table it's sad. You focus on the playoff appearances. I focus on the waste of what we do when we get there.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

gbguy20
9 years ago
Isn't Bradford one of the guys that uffda was actually happy with after the draft?
DarkaneRules
9 years ago

Great piece by McGinn... again, we fail to hit on defensive players in the draft. Thornton and Bradford should both be cut.

When I was lamenting this draft I took a lot of heat for doing so. As of now, and things can surely change, this looks like one of the worst drafts in Green Bay in a long long time. Abbrederis and Janis might be the two best things to come out of it when all is said and done.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Really enjoyed this article. It made a lot of great observations. The media is allowed to be just as reactionary as we are if they want. I have built a trust in McGinn's opinion and a lot of it rang true for me. But as far as the main premise of the article, I am currently 50/50. Thornton has been even more disappointing when he is compared against Boyd. I like Boyd. He really came on at the end of last season and continues to show improvement this pre-season. However, last pre-season I wasn't impressed with him early on so give Thornton a freaking chance here people.

Bradford on the other hand is at a position in this defense where you at least need to see something... a hint of anything. He hasn't shown it and although I won't call Thornton a wasted pick yet, I am leaning strongly toward that statement for Carl. Despite his build and where we all think he should be playing, I expected to see... ya know... something!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
musccy
9 years ago

I like Boyd. He really came on at the end of last season and continues to show improvement this pre-season. However, last pre-season I wasn't impressed with him early on so give Thornton a freaking chance here people.
!

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

👍 He was inactive until November-ish, and now many of us feel he'll be a solid contributor. Same thing for Thornton, we're talking about 4 weeks of camp from a guy that many media "experts" felt was a raw talent that may have been a reach, but was picked on a projection. Again, 4 weeks and we're throwing in the towel on a mid-round pick?

StarrMax1
9 years ago

The point is you can't admit it is disappointing that UDFA's have outplayed our 3rd and 4th rounders...I would argue that Janis our 7th has outplayed our 2nd in Adams. Rolle at a different position has outplayed our 1 in Dix, but Rolle wasn't a this year guy. It just gets old watching our draftees bringing nothing to the table. It's a total failure by the GM and scouting department and no it is not wrong or crazy to suggest Ted Thompson shouldn't have gotten an extension. How many more years do you want to watch this defense suck and Aaron's career tick away? You're fine with it and it won't take 15 pages to figure it out.

Yes, it doesn't matter where guys come from but the true difference makers are found in Round 1... we can get solid players as UDFA's but next to none of them will ever be special like 1st rounders can be. Check that HOF link I posted. The overwhelming # of HOF players come from Round 1. That is where our two best came from in Aaron and Clay.

This sad defense of Ted Thompson is puzzling. You do not see it as it is... I understand the love affair in the sense the warm and fuzzy you get being in the playoffs. We've left so much on the table it's sad. You focus on the playoff appearances. I focus on the waste of what we do when we get there.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Same bullshit, different thread, blah, blah, blah.

I get you don't like Ted Thompson,that's fine, your opinion, beyond that, you haven't posted one other thing that is YOUR opinion.

All you do is drudge up old articles, post them, like they are suppose to validate anything.

So sick of hearing about "Aaron's career ticking away", like he is the only guy playing football in Green Bay.

So tired of you using your psycho babble trying to convince others that we all should agree with you.

I'm suppose to feel guilty because The Packers haven't won in the playoffs in a couple of years, or I'm not the fan you are because I can actually enjoy watching The Packers play football whether they win or lose.

I can't admit UDFA's have outplayed some draft picks?

It happens every year, I'll give Ted Thompson and his scouts credit for bringing in the guys who do excell as UDFA's, without them, there would be a hell of a lot more losing in Green Bay.

So,obviously by your post, you do expect any player who is drafted by The Green Bay Packers to instantly be starter ready. (Unrealistic)

You remind me of that 90's rapper Vanilla Ice, "ice ice baby", one hit wonder, but he just kept regurgitating it time and time again, in different genre's, until everyone just got sick of the song.

Find a new Rap, your woe is me, I don't understand, is just making most sick.

I really question whether you are really a Packer fan, as much negativity that flies around this forum at times, it doesn't compare to your absolute crap attitude.

Can't Wait, we still have 9 pages to go.

Please post me an article saying Rolle has outplayed Clinton Dix.

Or is this just another of your many fabrications?

Tell me again how u just don't understand how I can enjoy Packer Football.

I'll tell you again, your are just full of crap.

musccy
9 years ago

I can't admit UDFA's have outplayed some draft picks?

It happens every year, I'll give Ted Thompson and his scouts credit for bringing in the guys who do excell as UDFA's, without them, there would be a hell of a lot more losing in Green Bay.

Uffda or others who criticize the team for missing in early rounds have a point. As I've stated in other threads, there are tangible consequences for missing early, especially for a team that doesn't utilize F.A. often.

With that said, it ultimately comes down to fielding the best team by whatever means necessary. The same scouts missing in the early rounds are the ones finding Shields, Elliot, Barclay, Pennel, etc. so you can't solely criticize them for the misses.

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
If Elliot turns out to be a player and Bradford doesn't I won't be upset because of where they're drafted. At the end of the day, that really doesn't matter me as long as you find talented guys on your 53 and field a competitive team. If this were last year though, I'd be peeved because the OLB depth was really bad last year.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Isn't Bradford one of the guys that uffda was actually happy with after the draft?

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Yes. Go back and see why I was happy. Read what I wrote when I heard not long after he was picked that they were going to use him as an OLB. I was happy because I thought he'd bring some crazy toughness to the middle of the D. I said Bradford would be a major bust at OLB and same for Thornton on DL. Read how I lamented his terrible measurables for OLB. McGinn mentioned those in his piece that every scout but apparently the Packers scouts knew this kid couldn't play OLB at the NFL level. There is a failing and disconnect somewhere. We can't wait to pounce on guys falling down draft boards, but they usually fall for a reason. Not always but most of the time. See Worthy... see Bradford...Bulaga, etc. Before you hammer me for Bulaga, he was touted as a high pick because he was supposed to be a LT, which he is not. A 1st rounder on a right tackle is a waste especially given who we could've added instead. Dez Bryant was sitting there and we took a stiff of a LT in Bryan Bulaga. Dez Bryant is an absolute monster...a true superstar. Bulaga is an adequate RIGHT tackle. Another terrible miss for what we could've done there. I was losing my mind seeing Dez sitting there and we took the guy who couldn't play LT...all the other NFL teams knew he couldn't play it...but not us... we saw that great value and missed out on a superstar. I follow the draft very closely....my favorite event in sports. Ted Thompson ain't as good as you think...especially up high. I love what we do after the draft but during the first rounds unless it's a WR you can usually forget about getting anything of value.

If you recall the Bradford thing, then you must also recall I was happy with Abbrederis and Janis...and Lyerla. Those were the 3 guys I was most excited about.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Cool. In any case, we are alright at OLB and DE this year I believe. The depth is tight at Center and NT though and we have Raji go down and now Tretter is not practicing today. Every year seems to have another couple position group or two draw the short end of the stick.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.