beast
9 years ago

Yes. Go back and see why I was happy. Read what I wrote when I heard not long after he was picked that they were going to use him as an OLB. I was happy because I thought he'd bring some crazy toughness to the middle of the D. I said Bradford would be a major bust at OLB and same for Thornton on DL. Read how I lamented his terrible measurables for OLB. McGinn mentioned those in his piece that every scout but apparently the Packers scouts knew this kid couldn't play OLB at the NFL level. There is a failing and disconnect somewhere. We can't wait to pounce on guys falling down draft boards, but they usually fall for a reason. Not always but most of the time. See Worthy... see Bradford...Bulaga, etc. Before you hammer me for Bulaga, he was touted as a high pick because he was supposed to be a LT, which he is not. A 1st rounder on a right tackle is a waste especially given who we could've added instead. Dez Bryant was sitting there and we took a stiff of a LT in Bryan Bulaga. Dez Bryant is an absolute monster...a true superstar. Bulaga is an adequate RIGHT tackle. Another terrible miss for what we could've done there. I was losing my mind seeing Dez sitting there and we took the guy who couldn't play LT...all the other NFL teams knew he couldn't play it...but not us... we saw that great value and missed out on a superstar. I follow the draft very closely....my favorite event in sports. Ted Thompson ain't as good as you think...especially up high. I love what we do after the draft but during the first rounds unless it's a WR you can usually forget about getting anything of value.

If you recall the Bradford thing, then you must also recall I was happy with Abbrederis and Janis...and Lyerla. Those were the 3 guys I was most excited about.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

And if you followed all teams as closely as you follow the Packers you would know that's true for all teams... they're all pasted over some true studs for some duds... just Packers are more personal so you get more upset about it but the same thing happens all over.

Also there are times when those big hype machines are dead wrong... I remember when Packers fans were PISSED OFF at Ted Thompson because he had a chance to draft the highest ceiling WR in a long time and he traded the pick away... and the pick was used that super hyped player Chad Jackson ... (who completely busted)... and the team "stupidity" just settled for some no named kid from a small school named Greg Jennings.

Sometimes the high potential guys make it... other times they're complete bust and/or aren't worth the headaches they cause such as RB Marshawn Lynch to the Bills (lots of Packers wants wanted him as there was a big need for a RB, but I didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.... same was true when they looked to trade him though it seems like he's gotten better off the field, or at least not caught doing stupid stuff nearly as much).

But all this anger would be true for any team you closely followed, as they're all pasted over studs for bust and some writer comes along and says it was so clear to them... or find stouts (or claim they find scouts) they say it was so clear to them.

UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago
Dez Bryant? Didn't the Cowboys have to hire a babysitter to keep him from screwing up his off-the-field life?

beast
9 years ago

Dez Bryant? Didn't the Cowboys have to hire a babysitter to keep him from screwing up his off-the-field life?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I forgot about that... I never did hear the end results but I believe I remember when Skip Bayless was speculating about a physical altercation Bryant got into, sounded like the speculation was the Bryant might of gotten into a physical altercation with his so called "babysitter"... of course it's Skip Bayless and speculation so you can't put too much into that...

But anyways a couple of places seem to have some of the rules set for Bryant

• A midnight curfew. If he’s going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can’t attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

sportsgrid  wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Thompson too cheap to buy all that stuff to follow a player around 24/7 [twocents]
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago
Thank you Beast. I didn't recall the specifics, but knew that was the general idea. He was so immature that the organization had to hire someone to protect the athlete from themselves. Ted, what an idiot, he didn't pick that guy and instead "settled" for a guy that should be playing left tackle but is "only" starting at RT.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

And if you followed all teams as closely as you follow the Packers you would know that's true for all teams... they're all pasted over some true studs for some duds... just Packers are more personal so you get more upset about it but the same thing happens all over.

Also there are times when those big hype machines are dead wrong... I remember when Packers fans were PISSED OFF at Ted Thompson because he had a chance to draft the highest ceiling WR in a long time and he traded the pick away... and the pick was used that super hyped player Chad Jackson ... (who completely busted)... and the team "stupidity" just settled for some no named kid from a small school named Greg Jennings.

Sometimes the high potential guys make it... other times they're complete bust and/or aren't worth the headaches they cause such as RB Marshawn Lynch to the Bills (lots of Packers wants wanted him as there was a big need for a RB, but I didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.... same was true when they looked to trade him though it seems like he's gotten better off the field, or at least not caught doing stupid stuff nearly as much).

But all this anger would be true for any team you closely followed, as they're all pasted over studs for bust and some writer comes along and says it was so clear to them... or find stouts (or claim they find scouts) they say it was so clear to them.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yes...I understand...but... in those cases where GM's miss and miss often up high the DO NOT GET EXTENSIONS!! They get FIRED. We all know as fans our D has been poor for years. Our GM has tried to fix it THROUGH THE DRAFT. How's he done? Can you be honest and objective or do you just have to say he's done well because he's the Packers GM? He's done a horrendous job over the last several years. This defense has not gotten better at all. I can't think of another situation where a team has pumped the resources into one side of the ball with so little in return to see the person responsible get extended for failing. Yes, I know...we're in the playoffs. Thank you, Aaron Rodgers. Ted Thompson gets immunity from his MAJOR failings because he drafted Aaron Rodgers.

It isn't anger... it's just frustrating to the competitor in me sense. I like to be the best. Being very good is failure to me, personally. The best isn't even the goal...perfection is. Give all you have to get there not make excuses about how great it is that you're good and that's okay. You think I'm negative and whatever...but I have a different standard I try to live by and in sports you don't settle for anything but the ultimate which is winning it all. Most of you are comfortable watching the team you follow not do all they can to get there and make excuses for not getting there. I wish to see us go for it and bring in some studs where they should've come up high in the draft. You miss on studs in the draft and you don't use FA then you've doubled down on your losses.

Watching Green Bay is still fun for me because I can still watch the best ever on offense. I just cringe having to watch a pitiful group of defenders that limits this team. It's the anchor around the ankle. Our current leadership has tried and failed several times to fix it. Your enjoyment and my enjoyment have nothing to do with each others. I'm happy that you can find joy sporting your divisional championship gear and bragging to your buddies that your team won the division. I watch in the hopes we win it all...nothing else matters.
Ted Thompson is not a guy who cares and burns to be a world champion...he burns to be above average and that is what we are as a franchise. Give us a a WINNER...someone sold out to win it all and won't accept failure. 3 years in a row we've failed but what you notice is divisional championships. I notice we suck in the playoffs. I notice we have a defense that hasn't gotten any better yet we're committed to the same defensive staff, and GM who can't fix it. Yes, that is frustrating knowing we could be so much better and not be.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
9 years ago

It isn't anger... it's just frustrating to the competitor in me

I know we all read things differently... but I read that as, "It isn't anger, it's just anger inside of me"... I'm sure there is a difference between anger and building frustration but they're sort of close... right? .... maybe not I don't know for sure. But I found it interesting.

I like to be the best. Being very good is failure to me, personally. The best isn't even the goal...perfection is.

So you're a perfectionist? That would explain a lot ... [grin1]

I remember I had a class with a perfectionist and he got a 99% on a test... and you could see it just to start bubbling up... more and more to he was just internally outraged and just started talking meanly to the teachers (who was normally one of the most level headed people around) and then it turned to yelling at the teacher... and I thought he was about to get up and hit the teacher or walk out... it was crazy. Please don't go crazy...

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I know we all read things differently... but I read that as, "It isn't anger, it's just anger inside of me"... I'm sure there is a difference between anger and building frustration but they're sort of close... right? .... maybe not I don't know for sure. But I found it interesting.

So you're a perfectionist? That would explain a lot ... [grin1]

I remember I had a class with a perfectionist and he got a 99% on a test... and you could see it just to start bubbling up... more and more to he was just internally outraged and just started talking meanly to the teachers (who was normally one of the most level headed people around) and then it turned to yelling at the teacher... and I thought he was about to get up and hit the teacher or walk out... it was crazy. Please don't go crazy...

Originally Posted by: beast 

Ha! Yeah, that's me... I'm that guy... 99% is not good enough. It's so funny...I recently took a test...very recently... 97% was my score. I was livid with myself. I was especially angry over the legal interpretation of one of the questions I answered incorrectly. The goal was getting them all right. I didn't handle it well because I'm driven to be the best I can be and I left one on the table there. I didn't take it out on anyone else but me. I'm the one who missed it, nobody else. In fact, now I'm mad all over again. Thanks. :)

One of my favorite quotes is from St. Augustine: "What you are must always displease you, if you would attain to that which you are not."

I can apply the above in a much broader sense... We aren't a world champion football team. I'd like to see us burn to attain "that which we are not". I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

evad04
9 years ago

I can apply the above in a much broader sense... We aren't a world champion football team. I'd like to see us burn to attain "that which we are not". I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it.

Incoming ad hominem attack: You seem like a complete, unrepentant jerk sandwich. You are borderline intolerable, uffda.

I don't know where to start. We're now at the point where Bryan Bulaga was a bust/complete waste of a pick because we could have had Dez "I beat my own mother" Bryant.

We're at the point where a pair of rookies -- before we've even finished preseason, mind you -- are busts. Bradford is struggling. Every one here can see that. Thornton was drafted as a raw talent with a good strength/speed combo, but has been thought of by many to be a developmental player. You throw out "bust" a little casually.

You and I coulda had a debate long ranging in another thread when I addressed Ted's innumerable Round 1 defensive busts (ahem, since 2004 that's Justin Harrell and arguably Nick Perry -- though you've added second-year Datone Jones to that list).

But you didn't respond to any of that, you just rinse and repeat in another thread with the same useless horseshit.

We get it. Trust me, sweet Christ, we get it. You don't EVER need to finish a post with "I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it."

It's like filming yourself kill a horse with a shovel, then continue beating its corpse, then walk toward the camera and say, "I didn't like that horse."
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
beast
9 years ago

I was especially angry over the legal interpretation of one of the questions I answered incorrectly.

I hate when there are more than one interpretation of questions on test... I remember a World Geography Professor who's test were always kind of weird to take... because you're read the questions on his test and be like I can interpreted this question in multiple ways and get different answers... though normally it was easy to figure out his logic or figure out if you had background knowledge but not everyone had background knowledge nor understood his logic which I'm sure made those test down right horrible for them.

In fact, now I'm mad all over again. Thanks. :)

You're welcome [sarcasm]

And I think Thornton has been one of the best 6 DL currently on the roster.

Bradford... I don't have a clue what's up with him... and seems like he's been a bust so far.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Incoming ad hominem attack: You seem like a complete, unrepentant jerk sandwich. You are borderline intolerable, uffda.

I don't know where to start. We're now at the point where Bryan Bulaga was a bust/complete waste of a pick because we could have had Dez "I beat my own mother" Bryant.

We're at the point where a pair of rookies -- before we've even finished preseason, mind you -- are busts. Bradford is struggling. Every one here can see that. Thornton was drafted as a raw talent with a good strength/speed combo, but has been thought of by many to be a developmental player. You throw out "bust" a little casually.

You and I coulda had a debate long ranging in another thread when I addressed Ted's innumerable Round 1 defensive busts (ahem, since 2004 that's Justin Harrell and arguably Nick Perry -- though you've added second-year Datone Jones to that list).

But you didn't respond to any of that, you just rinse and repeat in another thread with the same useless horseshit.

We get it. Trust me, sweet Christ, we get it. You don't EVER need to finish a post with "I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it."

It's like filming yourself kill a horse with a shovel, then continue beating its corpse, then walk toward the camera and say, "I didn't like that horse."

Originally Posted by: evad04 

Unrepentant? What do I need to repent for here? I had tears in my eyes at church this AM...is that good enough?

Bob McGinn penned the article stating both Thornton and Bradford don't deserve roster spots. Who can disagree? However, it is just pure gold to me that Ted Thompson said this draft was about "winning now". You're here talking about a 3rd rounder we just flippantly took a flier on as a developmental project. I will go with Ted Thompson that he thought Thornton would be a contributor in our "win now" drafting strategy.

BTW, does Ricky Elmore ring a bell? Did he get labeled a bust and cut right away? Yes. Why is it wrong to label two guys who haven't shown up against deep, deep backups busts? They don't belong on this team. That equates to failed drafting even though I know how dare I say such a thing. Ted Thompson is the best!

Bryan Bulaga was a waste of FIRST round selection. Tell me why he was drafted by us in the 1st round? ... To play...?????... Yup, LEFT tackle, which he was NOT...ever...no how no way. So, he turns into an adequate RT and you chalk that up as a win? Not me. A fail...major fail. I remember the clock ticking on our pick just feeling sick that Ted Thompson would draft "Bustaga" as I called him then. Dez is sitting there. All the talent in the world. Just a special player. Nope...we get the plodder who can't play LT at the NFL level. Yes, disappointed...still.

It is odd that I'm not entitled to my opinion because it's not the vanilla norm that reigns supreme. I also get accused of having no original thoughts...that's my favorite of them all. The irony. The irony.

One day soon, hopefully, we will start anew with a GM and HC combo... ones that better reflect my values instead of the ones that reflect yours. I'm happy for you that you find happiness in contentment for the way things are with your favorite football team. I'm a little envious quite honestly. I wish I could find some kind of joy in watching this team underachieve with the best of all time under center. I can not.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (14h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
59m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.