uffda udfa
9 years ago

Ted Thompson saying the draft is about winning now is a Ted Thompson type of thing to say. It's right up there with phrases like, "We think he can help our team" and "We think he can be a good player."

You are the only person that has taken it literally. I imagine your room looking like the dude from "A Beautiful Mind" where the are articles cut out everywhere and taped to the wall with red pen and strings criss-crossing and papers strewn about. And on big red letters scribbled over the mass of it all is "WINNING NOW"

Get a grip, dude. Take Thompson's comments with a heap of salt. Or, you could reference "winning now" in every other post. The latter would seem to be your strategy, and at least in its ability to make me want to jam a fork into my eye, its highly successful.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

Your scathing sarcastic replies are at the very least entertaining. I appreciate and look forward to new ways you might insult me.

I have no articles...anywhere. Loved the shot and BM reference. However, it is odd that you want to diminish what Ted Thompson said in front of the shareholders. I will keep that in mind going forward here that anything Ted Thompson says is irrelevant as the picks he makes in the draft.
Ted Thompson is your guy... one of the best in the NFL, right? Even if you take the focus off the "winning now" commentary you can't deny the early returns on this draft class are not promising. Add that in with some of the recent trainwreck drafts and it is hard to argue we're being led in the right direction.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
9 years ago

Ted Thompson saying the draft is about winning now is a Ted Thompson type of thing to say. It's right up there with phrases like, "We think he can help our team" and "We think he can be a good player."

You are the only person that has taken it literally. I imagine your room looking like the dude from "A Beautiful Mind" where the are articles cut out everywhere and taped to the wall with red pen and strings criss-crossing and papers strewn about. And on big red letters scribbled over the mass of it all is "WINNING NOW"

Get a grip, dude. Take Thompson's comments with a heap of salt. Or, you could reference "winning now" in every other post. The latter would seem to be your strategy, and at least in its ability to make me want to jam a fork into my eye, its highly successful.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

I was laughing as I read his post, too. Anyone that has followed Ted Thompson over the years should know that almost everything he says publicly lacks substance, on purpose. He doesn't want to say much of anything to the media and other outlets, and I can understand why. It only annoys us Packers fans that care a little too much about the team, anyway. I'm sure Ted Thompson isn't losing sleep over that. Most general managers are no different than politicians. They mostly throw around rhetoric. Some fans may not like it, but it is what it is and it's more common than not in the league today. It's not a general manager or coach's job to appease fans via press conferences.

Moreover, I'm sure Ted is trying his best to "win now." Whether or not he makes the best draft picks is a different issue entirely. I really don't think Ted Thompson ever drafts a player thinking that he is not going to help the Packers win, or at least has a chance to. He may not succeed in that goal each time, just like every other general manager, but I'm certain he is trying. I see no reason he would purposely make bad picks. Once again, a pretty silly argument. I'm not sure how long it will take some Packers fans to realize not to take things Ted and Mike McCarthy say too literally. They know exactly what they are saying when they say it, and they continue to use the same rhetoric for a reason.

A draft is generally considered pretty good if a team get's a good starter or two, and a few role players. I think Clinton-Dix will mature into a good starter, but it might take a few seasons, just like it did for Nick Collins. I think Davonte Adams is going to be a good wide receiver, and will put up numbers similar to and better than James Jones did for the Packers. Richard Rodgers is going to be a good tight end and will likely eventually be a starter for a few years. According to some, Corey Linsley has been looking like he belongs in the NFL. He will probably be a more than serviceable player, in time. Abbrederis will contribute, and Janis probably will too. There are a few other players that very well could develop into contributors, even if it's only special teams. Overall, that can't be considered a horrible draft. It may not be a GREAT draft, but at this point, it doesn't look too bad. There are always going to be a few busts no matter what.
musccy
9 years ago

However, when you draft and claim it was about "winning now" and your guys don't look anywhere near ready to contribute, I'd say that's a big time bust.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

If this "winning now" quote did in fact come from the shareholders, as you suggest it did, then you're in effect taking the quote out of context. If Boykin, Nelson, and Cobb all go down due to IR, are you then going to hold this quote against Ted because Jeff Janis wasn't prepared to be a #1 this season? That's in effect what you're doing with Thornton. At the time of the sharehoulders meeting, Guion, Raji, and arguably Worthy were still options inside, and all have since become/remained injured. No rational person would think that Thornton was drafted with the expectation of being a day 1 starter, nor would anyone think that every single draft pick and UDFA needs to be selected for the purpose of winning today.

What needs did Ted try not to address this season? Safety - HaHa, C - Linsley, WR - 3 draft picks, TE - Rodgers, Rusher opposite Clay - Peppers.

At the time of his quote, yes, I'd agree with Ted that he was making attempts to "win now" by addressing depth at positions of need.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

If Elliot turns out to be a player and Bradford doesn't I won't be upset because of where they're drafted. At the end of the day, that really doesn't matter me as long as you find talented guys on your 53 and field a competitive team. If this were last year though, I'd be peeved because the OLB depth was really bad last year.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

If the 1st rounder rides the pine and the 6th rounder and undrafted players make significant impact, then the General Manager does not deserve an extension.

2014 draft class has zero busts because it is not possible to state as such without giving them three seasons, hell, at least ONE season to prove they are catching on or they are not.

People jump up an down for praising the boys in underwear, yet we're gonna go the extreme opposite direction? I can't be the only one seeing this. [wasntme]
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Ha! Yeah, that's me... I'm that guy... 99% is not good enough. It's so funny...I recently took a test...very recently... 97% was my score. I was livid with myself. I was especially angry over the legal interpretation of one of the questions I answered incorrectly. The goal was getting them all right. I didn't handle it well because I'm driven to be the best I can be and I left one on the table there. I didn't take it out on anyone else but me. I'm the one who missed it, nobody else. In fact, now I'm mad all over again. Thanks. :)

We interrupt this important discussion for this totally irrelevant response.

When I was in high school one of my history teachers used to give us a 50 question pre test before every unit. The score of didn't count in our grade, it was just to see how much we knew about the subject going in. For our WWII unit (yes, we had a whole unit on WWII not just the 1 day it gets now) I got 2 questions wrong. They were:

true or false- the United States entered WWII after the Germans attacked Poland. I answered true. and he said I was wrong.

I said so you are telling me the US entered WWII BEFORE Germany attacked Poland. He said, well no, but the US entered WWII after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I countered with Yes, but December 7th 1941 which is when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor was AFTER September 1st 1939 which is when Germany attacked Poland therefore the United States entered WWII AFTER the Germans attacked Poland. He said well yes but they entered the war as a result of the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 not as a result of the German attack on Poland in 1939 which is what I was looking for. I said If you wanted me to tell you why US entered WWII you should have asked me why the US entered WWII instead of asking a confusing question about when and forcing me to read you mind about what you were looking for. The prick didn't give in. Apparently he didn't like being made to look like a fool in front of the class.

question #2 I got wrong What was the Black Widow- I answered "a US twin engine night fighter built by Northrop aviation designated the P-61." (note, that was my exact answer. I remember it like it was yesterday. Never mind that I don't remember yesterday) Wrong, apparently it was some female spy or something like that. He didn't give in on that one either even after I provided him with evidence when I brought in the plastic model of the plane that I had built along with the box and the historical write up that came with it.

My point? it is frustrating when you are smarter than your teachers. Strange thing is though he became one of my favorite teachers and we got along great. Of course it helped that I loved history.

FYI in case you think I was making it up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_P-61_Black_Widow  Oh, and I just tried googling wwII black widow spy and came up with nothing. Take that Mr. Brist.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

If this "winning now" quote did in fact come from the shareholders, as you suggest it did, then you're in effect taking the quote out of context. If Boykin, Nelson, and Cobb all go down due to IR, are you then going to hold this quote against Ted because Jeff Janis wasn't prepared to be a #1 this season? That's in effect what you're doing with Thornton. At the time of the sharehoulders meeting, Guion, Raji, and arguably Worthy were still options inside, and all have since become/remained injured. No rational person would think that Thornton was drafted with the expectation of being a day 1 starter, nor would anyone think that every single draft pick and UDFA needs to be selected for the purpose of winning today.

What needs did Ted try not to address this season? Safety - HaHa, C - Linsley, WR - 3 draft picks, TE - Rodgers, Rusher opposite Clay - Peppers.

At the time of his quote, yes, I'd agree with Ted that he was making attempts to "win now" by addressing depth at positions of need.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

EVERY single team in the NFL has players for each position...that is not addressing needs. That is filling up quotas for positions.

Did you consider S fixed when he drafted Jerron McMillian? It was an attempt to address...that failed. It appears the attempts to address things this off-season have failed for the most part. It's early...we'll see how much better or worse this one gets.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
9 years ago

EVERY single team in the NFL has players for each position...that is not addressing needs. That is filling up quotas for positions.

Did you consider S fixed when he drafted Jerron McMillian? It was an attempt to address...that failed. It appears the attempts to address things this off-season have failed for the most part. It's early...we'll see how much better or worse this one gets.

As Dodd said, whether Ted was effective or not is a separate argument. My interpretation of you holding the "win now" quote against Ted was that he was not attempting to help the team win immediately, which he clearly has been attempting.

McMillian did not work out. AJ Jenkins was a first rounder cut by the 49ers a year later and never had a catch by them, that didn't work either. Dez Bryant was so bad off the field that the Cowboys had to draft rules specific to him and hire a babysitter to force him to act professionally, something he couldn't do under his own power. Stuff happens.
sschind
9 years ago
If only we could get 6 or 7 picks in the top 10 next year, that would fix everything.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Great stuff...you and I would get along great. I'm sure you'd agree. :)

I'll counter... the instructor I have now has been teaching this material to several classes each year for the past 5 years. I got one question wrong on one of his finals and vehemently debated the question was incorrect. He actually agreed and seemed miffed that in 5 years nobody had ever pointed that out. It is frustrating to feel like you have to interpret what a question is really asking instead of what it's just asking like you said.

He should've changed your grade. I got a 99 changed to a 100 long ago. I studied like I'd never studied before for a final test I was told nobody had ever aced in the 40 year history of the institution. My goal was to do what hadn't been done...only to find that I was marked wrong for one question that I knew I didn't have wrong. It got involved and reviewed and finally I was granted my 100...I was upset I had to fight for it, but I got it...first guy ever.

When you are driven to be the best at a particular challenge and you don't meet your goal it is incredibly disappointing. I like the old quote: I hate losing more than I like winning. Boy, is that ever true for me.

Relating this to football... it is said Aaron Rodgers is ultra competitive...cards, football, whatever... that is what separates the greats from the goods. That incredible will and refusal to accept anything less than perfection. Watching this organization operate is hard because there is nothing I can do about what happens in it but watch the trainwreck every playoffs and the miserable defense that never gets better. Nobody cares about why I post the way I post but that is why I'm perceived as negative and miserable. You wouldn't ever be able to pick me out in a crowd if you sat and watched for weeks. When it comes to sports or challenges...perfection is the goal. Failure is not an option. Go Pack...
UserPostedImage

QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
I am 97% sure that after the Pack goes 19-0, winning the Super Bowl by a record margin, someone would be on here the next morning complaining about the players they used and when they were drafted.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.