Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Sean Gilbert, the player who once held out the entire '97 season because he wanted more money is trying to replace DeMaurice Smith as the NFLPA head honcho.

[list=1]
  • TERMINATION OF THE CBA - Pursue the right to terminate the Collective Bargaining Agreement under Article 17 and Article 69. (ANTI-COLLUSION)

• PLAYER HEALTH AND SAFETY – We will never negotiate the health and safety of our Players. The health and safety of NFL Players is priceless and should be respected by both the Union and the Owners.

• $1,000,000 MINIMUM SALARY – The current system discriminates against older Players while exploiting younger Players. Increases in the “Minimum Salary” will be tied to the growth in revenues.

• UNION DUES – Dues will revert to $10,000 rather than the present $15,000, which was a 50% increase this past year.

• GROW THE GAME/SALARY CAP – Not only do we expect to recapture much of the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS that have shifted from the Players to the Owners under the current agreement, we expect to significantly grow the game.

• ROOKIE CONTRACTS THREE (3) YEARS – All Rookie Contracts shall be three (3) years (no option for First Round Selections).

• FREE AGENCY AFTER THREE (3) YEARS.

• FRANCHISE DESIGNATION – A Player may only be “FRANCHISED” once in his career.

• ELIMINATE THE TRANSITION DESIGNATION.

• ELIMINATE TWO (2) PRE-SEASON GAMES.

• ELIMINATE COMPENSATORY DRAFT SELECTIONS – Teams shall not be rewarded for refusing to sign their own Free Agents.

• RENEGOTIATION OF PLAYERS CONTRACTS CAN COMMENCE AFTER ONE (1) YEAR INSTEAD OF THE CURRENT THREE (3) YEAR RULE. See - Russell Wilson

• NFL PLAYER JOB CREATION – We shall add 224 NFL PLAYER JOBS – Roster size shall increase from 53 to 57 Players and Practice Squad shall increase from 8 to 11 Players.

• PRACTICE SQUAD SALARY INCREASE – Practice Squad Salary shall increase from $6,300 per week to $20,000 per week.

• ELIMINATE “CONTRACT SPLITS” DURING THE REGULAR SEASON.

• ELIMINATE EXCLUSIONS FROM “ALL REVENUE” (AR) – Eliminate exclusions from “AR” such as, Dallas Cowboys Merchandising (in excess of $80 million), PSL fees for the New York Jets and Giants (in excess of $43 million) and revenues derived from real estate development opportunities in conjunction with Stadium lease etc.

• ELIMINATE THE “BUCKET/BAND” SYSTEM – Eliminate the band/bucket system (Article 12, Section 6, page 79-80) and advocate a true equitable partnership between the Players and Owners.

• 100% CASH SPENDING – A Team must spend 100% of the “SALARY CAP” each year. Any shortfall shall be paid by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the Players who were on such a Team’s roster at any time during the season, pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.

• LIMITATION ON ROGER GOODELL’S POWER – Goodell will no longer be allowed to serve as judge, jury, and executioner on matters of Player’s discipline.

• “FINE MONEY” SHALL BE GIVEN TO “NEEDY” RETIRED PLAYERS

• “CONTRACT DISSOLUTION BENEFIT” – Purpose is to eliminate fictional contracts and create respect for the sanctity of the Contract. Except for “Rookie Contracts” or One-Year Contracts, if a Team terminates the Contract, the Player shall receive 10% of the remaining money due under the Contract. Player shall receive such amount upon submission of his “Retirement Papers.” The “Contract Dissolution Benefit” will not be counted as a “CAP CHARGE.”

• TRUE TRANSPARENCY – Between the Union, Players & Agents, e.g. “Player Performance Pool”

• POTENTIAL “CARROT” – GENERATE SUBSTANTIAL REVENUES

• [list=a]
  • 18 Games

• Super Bowl will be played on President’s Weekend (pushes majority of Post-Season in “TV Sweeps Month”)

• Bid out Super Bowl like the Olympics

• Transition Rules:

• Annualized Salaries from 16 Games to 18 Games – For example, if Player’s Base Salary is currently $1.6 Million, under 18 Games it shall be $1.8 Million.

Guaranteeing the Difference – For example, the Player has Four (4) years left on his Contract that pays him an annual Salary of $3,200,000, you must annualized his Salary like above. Therefore, his new “Annualized Salary” shall be $3,600,00 per year. The subsequent year Team terminates Players’ Contract with 3 years remaining; Player shall receive $1,200,000 ($3,600,000 less $3,200,000 multiply by the 3 years remaining). Player shall receive such amount upon submission of his “Retirement Papers.” When paid, such amount shall be included in the “Player Benefits Costs.”[/list][/list]

There are a few that I think the Packers would like, such as the shorter preseason, increased roster, but the elimination of the compensatory picks I think the Packers would not be happy with. I think the Players, not the Owners elect the head of NFLPA

How do you think these changes would affect the Packers?

FULL COPY
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FoDG6xUYGYmuZBzeb_c7A2qR58qN_VYWd8-SKqkAXiQ/edit 
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    9 years ago
    First off he is trying to put all these items on the table to entice players to vote for him. It is not that he would be able to deliverer even one of them but if he can get enough of them to think that he can bring about some of them they will like it. I had a business law class where we discussed this type of tactic. It has been effective on many occasions.

Next just because he and the players want most of them don't mean the owners will give in on any of them. I doubt the players are willing to go on strike to get any of the things he is advocating.

The current CBA runs through 2021. The Exec Director's term is for 3 years. He would have to go through 2 terms before he would be able to get very many of his requests agreed to by the owners.

UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    9 years ago
    A look at the list and how it pertains to the players as a whole and the Packer organization:

[list=1]
  • $1 million minimum player salary.
  • veteran players with 4 or more years os playtime time are getting $730 this year and it increases up to $790 in year 2018. There is no way the average player will want to strike in order for the rookie street free agent can earn $1 mill while the vet only moves up a few hundred thousand a year.

The Packers would most likely be able to withstand the huge increase in player salary expenses but other teams will not. If this were to happen teams like Jacksonville would fold. Owners/organizations would not support the change.

• Increase regular season from 16 games to 18 games.
  • Players would not vote for it as the injury risk would increase. The additional pay would not offset the exposure. While the min salary would most likely be tied to this the Elite players would not see an increase in pay so they would not be in favor of the additional games.

Some teams would be in favor of it. It would not be beneficial to Green Bay as they sell out the preseason games already.

• Increase of roster size from 53 to 57 (with an 11-player practice squad).

• I don't see players risking a strike or lockout over the practice squad players or the ones are there to fill out the roster.

Green Bay with all their injuries year after year after year would benefit from a larger roster. Uncle Teddy would be able to do a better job than other GMs in filling the last few roster spots. Owners will not agree to the expanded rosters. It is not as if the players who are not on as if the players disappear if they are not affiliated with a NFL team. When needed they can still be found. In the mean time the NFL does not have to pay them wages.

• Increase in the practice-squad salary to $20,000 per week.

• Once again I doubt the NFL players are willing to risk very much in order to get a large raise for these players.
    Green Bay would not accept the new higher cost any more than would any other team.

• A reduction in dues from $15,000 to $10,000.
  • No big deal.
    None of the teams would care one way or the other.

• Three-year rookie deals.
  • Never happen. It is enticing to the better players to get out into free agency sooner but it will have a negative impact on the average and below average players, of which there are more of them.

It would hurt Green Bay as the hope would be to try and get salaries to spiral upward.

• Free agency after three years.

• same as above
  • Permissible renegotiation after only one year (with Russell Wilson specifically mentioned as an example),

• nope. Teams will not allow. What is the point in having the contract if the players will not stick to them. The argument of teams releasing players before the end of the contract is offset by the signing bonus.

Under the current management team Green Bay would rarely renegotiate with a player.

• A one-time career limitation on the use of the franchise tag.

• Players would be in favor but very few are good enough to be a franchise player.
    Green Bay uses it so infrequently it does not effect them but they would not be in favor of such a move.

• Removal of two preseason games.
  • see above

• Elimination of the transition tag.
  • see above

• Elimination of compensatory draft picks.
  • I don't see the players as caring too much about this issue.'
    Green Bay under Uncle Teddy loves the Comp pick and they would not be in favor of such a change in any way.

• Elimination of “contract splits,”.

• No idea of what is meant by split contract.

• Elimination of certain exclusions from “all revenue,” such as Cowboys merchandising and Jets/Giants PSL fees.
  • Green Bay would not be in favor of such a move and would resist.

• Restriction of the Commissioner’s judge-jury-executioner power.
  • I doubt most players would support unless they knew the alternative. They already agreed to give the Commish the power to curb PEDs and dirty players such as Meriwather who has no regard of his fellow players.

GB would not vote in favor of such a move

[/list]

All in all too little is being offered to the teams and too much is wanted from them to make any of these options viable. Other than lowering dues not a single item could be enacted prior to the new CBA and even then owners would let players strike or lock them out over these items.

Who knows what the players really think but they are better served by an Ex Director who is an attorney and understands the process than a dude who has not formal training in these matters and only wants to stir things up in order to get a real job and not have to rely on being an asst HS coach.
    UserPostedImage
    beast
    9 years ago

Sean Gilbert, the player who once held out the entire '97 season because he wanted more money is trying to replace DeMaurice Smith as the NFLPA head honcho.

[list=1]

• TERMINATION OF THE CBA - Pursue the right to terminate the Collective Bargaining Agreement under Article 17 and Article 69. (ANTI-COLLUSION)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

• From what I've read his whole plan is based around being able to prove NFL collusion and getting the NFL in enough legal troubles that they bow down to him and the players and accept what he offers. If he turns out to be incorrect about that then the whole plan/idea is ruined (unless he can stay in the position until they can kick out the current CBA).

He's claiming he can prove NFL collusion (then again so did/does the current NFLPA and they haven't been able to deliver on that yet (and kind of hope they can't because I think it'll be a huge mess that no one will be able to clean up for a while if they are)).

This guy is claiming his way/thought pattern would work better in proving the NFL collusion than the current NFLPA way/though pattern...

Basically this all hinges on can this guy prove to a court that their was NFL collusion... to me that's a HUGE assumption... and I'd ask how much experience/success does he have in a courtroom?

If he can't get the CBA thrown out (I don't think anyone can without a long court battle), the only real difference I see is that I think he might be willing to hold out of the season and put more pressure on the owners...

He might be better at making a new deal once the CBA is up... but I think the players, fans and owners would suffer more getting to it...

UserPostedImage
    sschind
    9 years ago

First off he is trying to put all these items on the table to entice players to vote for him. It is not that he would be able to deliverer even one of them but if he can get enough of them to think that he can bring about some of them they will like it. I had a business law class where we discussed this type of tactic. It has been effective on many occasions.

Next just because he and the players want most of them don't mean the owners will give in on any of them. I doubt the players are willing to go on strike to get any of the things he is advocating.

The current CBA runs through 2021. The Exec Director's term is for 3 years. He would have to go through 2 terms before he would be able to get very many of his requests agreed to by the owners.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You mean he is a typical politician. Promise everything deliver nothing.

Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.