Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline musccy  
#26 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:56:11 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post

What if Linsley plays extremely well for the first few weeks of the season? Do you dare go back to Tretter if the team is 3-0?

This could work out extremely well IF Linsley can play. I'd leave Linsley at C and make Tretter, with his versatility, the top backup on the line... the Don Barclay role, if you will.

The blessing in disguise angle did cross my mind, although I didn't think about it to this extent. I just figured it'd be nice for the backup to gain some exposure so we'd go from a position with zero NFL snaps to suddenly having two players with real live NFL experience.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#27 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:42:50 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

The reality is a rookie center has less than 11 days to prepare to play against the defending super bowl champions on the road instead of the guy who has worked with Rodgers all off-season at the position. It sucks, but it will have to something the offense goes through together. As Corey said today: "The urgency is through the roof."
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline uffda udfa  
#28 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:59:20 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
The reality is a rookie center has less than 11 days to prepare to play against the defending super bowl champions on the road instead of the guy who has worked with Rodgers all off-season at the position. It sucks, but it will have to something the offense goes through together. As Corey said today: "The urgency is through the roof."

Remember the last time we were in Seattle? Yeah, not that. Not the final play...the 1st half. Rodgers got sacked 7 or 8 times. Bulaga was filleted by Bruce Irvin... that place was rocking that night and our OL was having all kinds of trouble. Rodgers almost got killed. If it was rocking that night, just wait until Thursday Night when they're celebrating their ring. That place will be more insane than it usually is. An experienced center is going to have trouble in that building on any night, but this one will make it even harder.

This is where your great stories are born... Adam Timmerman having to face the formidable Niners front with Bryant Young and Dana Stubblefield. It was a playoff game and we had to start a 7th rounder from the SDSU Jackrabbits and he was up to the task. He was outstanding and parlayed that into a big FA deal with STL, if memory serves. James Campen wasn't our OL coach then, though.

I was one of the few who thought we were going to beat Seattle. It is hard to think that with a rookie center who has taken ZERO snaps with the ones prior to today. Not one single snap to Rodgers. Pressure up the middle will be unreal from the Seahawks. It could very easily turn into a route real fast. You worry about Rodgers health in that environment considering what happened last time in that 1st half.

Let's see what that kid can do...he came from basically a professional program under Meyer in Columbus. Pull a Timmerman young man. We need ya.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline dfosterf  
#29 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:28:31 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 429

Remember the last time we were in Seattle? Yeah, not that. Not the final play...the 1st half. Rodgers got sacked 7 or 8 times. Bulaga was filleted by Bruce Irvin... that place was rocking that night and our OL was having all kinds of trouble. Rodgers almost got killed. If it was rocking that night, just wait until Thursday Night when they're celebrating their ring. That place will be more insane than it usually is. An experienced center is going to have trouble in that building on any night, but this one will make it even harder.

This is where your great stories are born... Adam Timmerman having to face the formidable Niners front with Bryant Young and Dana Stubblefield. It was a playoff game and we had to start a 7th rounder from the SDSU Jackrabbits and he was up to the task. He was outstanding and parlayed that into a big FA deal with STL, if memory serves. James Campen wasn't our OL coach then, though.

I was one of the few who thought we were going to beat Seattle. It is hard to think that with a rookie center who has taken ZERO snaps with the ones prior to today. Not one single snap to Rodgers. Pressure up the middle will be unreal from the Seahawks. It could very easily turn into a route real fast. You worry about Rodgers health in that environment considering what happened last time in that 1st half.

Let's see what that kid can do...he came from basically a professional program under Meyer in Columbus. Pull a Timmerman young man. We need ya.

I don't like those motherfuckers, I hate the coach and I want to shut that entire fanbase up, not to mention how we got totally hosed by those replacement refs the last time around. We drew the toughest game on paper for our first game. I just wish Mike McCarthy let's the dog out and let's see where we land vs. his usual keep it close away philosophy.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline nerdmann  
#30 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:33:38 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 665

Haven't seen this game yet. Been at a conference all weekend.

WTF happened!?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline uffda udfa  
#31 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:56:01 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Haven't seen this game yet. Been at a conference all weekend.

WTF happened!?

His nutritional intake was all wrong. Big Grin

Hard to say, nerd... couldn't tell from the TV, but he ended up playing 40 some snaps on a messed up knee. He wasn't as good as he was in the 1st series later on... I guess that's why.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
beast on 8/25/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#32 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 3:10:04 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

Maybe the question(s) that should be asked are: if he could play 40 or so snaps on the bad knee - apparently without the coaches or training staff even noticing a drop off in quality, why can't he continue to play on it? Is it something that would likely get worse? If so, it's a damn shame it "got worse" during those 40 or so snaps. If not, then why not let the guy play? People speculate about players' "toughness" or not. I would suggest that most of the time, it is out of their hands - the damn doctors are the ones to blame for the perceived lack of toughness in today's players.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#33 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 11:48:39 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

His nutritional intake was all wrong. Big Grin

Hard to say, nerd... couldn't tell from the TV, but he ended up playing 40 some snaps on a messed up knee. He wasn't as good as he was in the 1st series later on... I guess that's why.

That IS the type of injury I look at as pertaining to nutrition. There was no tramatic event, the joint just popped in the normal course of athletic activity!? So much so that he continued playing on it for another two quarters? I mean 40 plays is quite a bit is it not?

Un FUCKING believable.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#34 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 12:12:36 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

That IS the type of injury I look at as pertaining to nutrition. There was no tramatic event, the joint just popped in the normal course of athletic activity!? So much so that he continued playing on it for another two quarters? I mean 40 plays is quite a bit is it not?

Un f*ckING believable.

Quit trying to diagnose people from your sofa and then freaking out about it. Do you know when he got injured? How do you know there was no trauma? What if his knee is fractured instead of "joint just popped".
thanks Post received 3 applause.
DoddPower on 8/25/2014(UTC), earthquake on 8/25/2014(UTC), beast on 8/25/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#35 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 6:34:27 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

There was no tramatic event

In the mix of what I assume to be a hard charging, attacking and colliding mass of over 2500 pounds of beef each snap how can anyone say there isn't traumatic events? ... if there wasn't traumatic events then people wouldn't be getting hurt nearly as often.

Vince quote
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline steveishere  
#36 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 6:39:17 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
In the mix of what I assume to be a hard charging, attacking and colliding mass of over 2500 pounds of beef each snap how can anyone say there isn't traumatic events? ... if there wasn't traumatic events then people wouldn't be getting hurt nearly as often.

Vince quote

Yeah really, When Richardson slammed into that Raiders guy and busted his ankle or whatever there was no direct hit anywhere where near the guys leg area but there sure as shit was some trauma there.
Offline nerdmann  
#37 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 7:11:55 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Vince quote

So why aren't they snapping their bones on every play? Why did he continue playing on it?
Offline beast  
#38 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 7:20:48 PM(UTC)
beast

So why aren't they snapping their bones on every play? Why did he continue playing on it?

Because players get banged up all the time and keep playing, it's what they train themselves to do... haven't you ever played? Did you leave just because you got roughed up or banged up or did you keep playing as long as you could take the pain?

He thought he could handle the pain and kept playing because that's what a lot of players do...
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#39 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 7:39:04 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Because players get banged up all the time and keep playing, it's what they train themselves to do... haven't you ever played? Did you leave just because you got roughed up or banged up or did you keep playing as long as you could take the pain?

He thought he could handle the pain and kept playing because that's what a lot of players do...

Just seems odd to me. AND, it's a pattern. Iirc, he stated it didn't really start to hurt until after the game, correct?

Anyway I haven't even seen the game yet.
Offline steveishere  
#40 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 7:41:27 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Just seems odd to me. AND, it's a pattern. Iirc, he stated it didn't really start to hurt until after the game, correct?

Don't think that's true, he got it looked at by trainers then went back in so he was obviously in some sort of pain. Also they already said there was no ligament damage and no surgery needed so I doubt something "popped" he probably had a fracture of some sort.
beast on 8/25/2014(UTC)
Offline earthquake  
#41 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 8:23:21 PM(UTC)
earthquake

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Don't think that's true, he got it looked at by trainers then went back in so he was obviously in some sort of pain. Also they already said there was no ligament damage and no surgery needed so I doubt something "popped" he probably had a fracture of some sort.

Yes that is true on both accounts, he came out after the first or second series, and it has been reported as knee fracture as well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s...ltiple-weeks-knee-injury

I don't remember which article I read about the trainers looking at it earlier, but they checked him out, sent him back in, and then at halftime after he stopped playing is when he felt it.
blank
Offline nerdmann  
#42 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 8:39:51 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: earthquake Go to Quoted Post
Yes that is true on both accounts, he came out after the first or second series, and it has been reported as knee fracture as well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s...ltiple-weeks-knee-injury

I don't remember which article I read about the trainers looking at it earlier, but they checked him out, sent him back in, and then at halftime after he stopped playing is when he felt it.

That's actually (relatively) good news to me. I'd rather have a fracture than a damaged joint or ligament.

Quote:
Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he did not know if the team would use the injured reserve/designated to return distinction, but according to a league source, Tretter's injury should not keep him out any longer than six weeks. A player on temporary IR has to miss eight weeks.

The source said Tretter has a slight fracture and did not sustain any ligament damage. He will not require surgery.

Should not keep him out longer than 6 weeks? We'll see about that, but it would be nice to get him back.
Offline Cheesey  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:27:38 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 439

Here's how I see it.....if the backup plays exceptional while Tretter is out, then they will stick with him. They can always use the "Tretter could return now, but we feel it's in his best interest to rehab longer so he doesn't reinjure the knee". That saves face, and allows them to keep him on the sidelines without making it look like he lost his position due to injury.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:29:12 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

On the news, they showed a clip of him getting rolled up on. He went down grabbing his knee. Looked pretty traumatic to me.

I can also tell you from experience, sometimes an injury just feels like you got kicked or something. It isn't until it swells up and you can't move it that you notice it is something more.

I tore a MCL playing modified fastpitch. I was behind the plate and there was a play. I got hit in the knee by the base runner. I got up and finished the inning. I even dove for a foul ball.

After sitting on the bench, I couldn't stand up.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast on 8/26/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:55:40 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
On the news, they showed a clip of him getting rolled up on. He went down grabbing his knee. Looked pretty traumatic to me.

I can also tell you from experience, sometimes an injury just feels like you got kicked or something. It isn't until it swells up and you can't move it that you notice it is something more.

I tore a MCL playing modified fastpitch. I was behind the plate and there was a play. I got hit in the knee by the base runner. I got up and finished the inning. I even dove for a foul ball.

After sitting on the bench, I couldn't stand up.

All right then, if he got rolled up on, it's a real injury. Still frustrating, but at least it's not something that popped for no reason.
Offline nerdmann  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:58:22 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Seahawks claim center Patrick Lewis

Quote:
Lewis was an undrafted free agent out of Texas A&M in 2013 that initially signed with the Green Bay Packers. After being released, he was signed by the Cleveland Browns to their practice squad. He was then signed off the practice squad to Jacksonville’s active roster last December.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:59:53 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

Vince quote

I think this is one Vince does not get credit for. If I'm not mistaken, it came from Woody Hayes.

The Tretter/Linsley situation when Tretter comes back kinda reminds me of Bowman/Curry back in the day.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline beast  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:05:43 PM(UTC)
beast

And they released former Packer OG/C Greg Van Roten... he's spent the last two years in Green Bay, if the Packers need an outside of the current roster, 9th OL (8th healthy OL at this point) why not grab him? ... he might of already learned and remembered the plays and calls already...

Seahawks wrote:
The Seattle Seahawks have released... guard Greg Van Roten... and claimed center Patrick Lewis

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline steveishere  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:35:46 PM(UTC)
steveishere

And they released former Packer OG/C Greg Van Roten... he's spent the last two years in Green Bay, if the Packers need an outside of the current roster, 9th OL (8th healthy OL at this point) why not grab him? ... he might of already learned and remembered the plays and calls already...

lol who knows. EDS was released from the seahawks before he came back here and had his breakout season.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#50 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:51:52 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Despite the recent events that have taken place to our o-line. I am glad EDS is not our center. He just didn't have the physical dominance necessary to carry on as our center for the long term.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Rss Feed