Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:45:30 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

I've seen some negativity in a couple of recent threads about Randall Cobb's play in the preseason. That's puzzling to me. I haven't seen him as playing any worse, maybe a little better than last year. I would guess he, along with several others - Shields and Tramon come to mind, look like they are not going full throttle in order to avoid injury in the preseason. That may even be under orders from the coaching staff. After all, the games are basically meaningless, and his job certainly is secure.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 8/27/2014(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:28:28 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 12/30/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 96
Applause Received: 161

I've noticed that also. Some people are just looking for anything negative they can find so they can blather on. Preseason games are next to useless for Cobb, ARod, Lacy, etc. Preseason is about the bottom 20-40% of the roster. Think Cobb can really do anything to lessen/ improve his role while playing in meaningless games in which the opposition is playing vanilla? The only thing these 'starters' can do negatively is get hurt.
The real point should be, "Why all the negativity?". There are some rigid stances taken on here lately by posters. And quite honestly, as fans, we don't know s**t. We see a few minutes of a pretend game and try to make personnel evaluations. Like we have all the information. When we don't know squat. A month ago, there was a forum touting Lyerla as the greatest TE to ever sign. What a steal!!!! 4 weeks later, he's released. What a bum!!! Reality is that we didn't know his talent level, then or now.
I like bourbon. A lot. Almost as much as I like the Packers. But I don't know anymore about making bourbon than I do player evaluation. I enjoy the end result. But I'm not an expert. I don't know more than Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy or even the Executive wing janitor. If some posters on here actually knew as much as they spout, they would be employed by an NFL team instead of living in their Mommy's basement.
The negativity is getting old, folks. Relax. Sit back and enjoy the time you have and the Packers. (And bourbon, if you're 21!)
thanks Post received 6 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 8/27/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 8/27/2014(UTC), musccy on 8/27/2014(UTC), earthquake on 8/27/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 8/27/2014(UTC), mi_keys on 8/28/2014(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:31:29 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 1/19/2009(UTC)
Location: London, UK (from kenosha)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 104

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I've noticed that also. Some people are just looking for anything negative they can find so they can blather on. Preseason games are next to useless for Cobb, ARod, Lacy, etc. Preseason is about the bottom 20-40% of the roster. Think Cobb can really do anything to lessen/ improve his role while playing in meaningless games in which the opposition is playing vanilla? The only thing these 'starters' can do negatively is get hurt.
The real point should be, "Why all the negativity?". There are some rigid stances taken on here lately by posters. And quite honestly, as fans, we don't know s**t. We see a few minutes of a pretend game and try to make personnel evaluations. Like we have all the information. When we don't know squat. A month ago, there was a forum touting Lyerla as the greatest TE to ever sign. What a steal!!!! 4 weeks later, he's released. What a bum!!! Reality is that we didn't know his talent level, then or now.
I like bourbon. A lot. Almost as much as I like the Packers. But I don't know anymore about making bourbon than I do player evaluation. I enjoy the end result. But I'm not an expert. I don't know more than Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy or even the Executive wing janitor. If some posters on here actually knew as much as they spout, they would be employed by an NFL team instead of living in their Mommy's basement.
The negativity is getting old, folks. Relax. Sit back and enjoy the time you have and the Packers. (And bourbon, if you're 21!)


did you only answer this because your screen name is husker and the title is Cobb? ... :)

we paid him and he will be getting lots of playing time - the one practice I saw he looked good. I know I liked what he has done for our team ... we will see
Offline musccy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:47:05 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Will Cobb, now in his contract year, be paid as a result of his preseason performance, and is his spot on this team in jeopardy?

Offline earthquake  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:47:44 AM(UTC)
earthquake

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I've noticed that also. Some people are just looking for anything negative they can find so they can blather on. Preseason games are next to useless for Cobb, ARod, Lacy, etc. Preseason is about the bottom 20-40% of the roster. Think Cobb can really do anything to lessen/ improve his role while playing in meaningless games in which the opposition is playing vanilla? The only thing these 'starters' can do negatively is get hurt.
The real point should be, "Why all the negativity?". There are some rigid stances taken on here lately by posters. And quite honestly, as fans, we don't know s**t. We see a few minutes of a pretend game and try to make personnel evaluations. Like we have all the information. When we don't know squat. A month ago, there was a forum touting Lyerla as the greatest TE to ever sign. What a steal!!!! 4 weeks later, he's released. What a bum!!! Reality is that we didn't know his talent level, then or now.
I like bourbon. A lot. Almost as much as I like the Packers. But I don't know anymore about making bourbon than I do player evaluation. I enjoy the end result. But I'm not an expert. I don't know more than Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy or even the Executive wing janitor. If some posters on here actually knew as much as they spout, they would be employed by an NFL team instead of living in their Mommy's basement.
The negativity is getting old, folks. Relax. Sit back and enjoy the time you have and the Packers. (And bourbon, if you're 21!)


I STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!



(Rye is better) Big Grin

Seriously though, great post.


blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 8/28/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:07:03 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for why everything happens or has happened the way it does. It doesn't mean Cobb is going to have a terrible year or anything but it isn't unfair to point out he hasn't been very impressive this offseason and pre season. Him especially since he's one of the most exciting players on the team.
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:49:32 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,712
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Will Cobb, now in his contract year, be paid as a result of his preseason performance, and is his spot on this team in jeopardy?



I don't like him having to return punts.

Let Janis do that, until the playoffs. I don't like a rookie back there in the playoffs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online wpr  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:52:13 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Yeah I don't too bent out of shape on what happens in the pretend games. They and their stats are meaningless. I remember how much fans have loved this player or that one based solely on what he does against a 3rd or 4th string team. (sort of like Jayrone Elliott these days.) Don't get me wrong they have to excel against the 3rd and 4th string before they can move up to face the better players and I am glad they can but it doesn't mean they will perform the same way against elite players.

Cobb has a proven record already. He is not competing for a job. We just want him and the rest of the starters to emerge fromt hese worthless games uninjured. IE- Stretch well young man!!! Big Grin
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 1 applause.
QCHuskerFan on 8/27/2014(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:09:28 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 439

As was said, pretend games don't mean much. Cobb is a great talent, and will be there come game #1.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 8/27/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:28:54 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Take a look at Matt Forte's pre season stats and tell me if you think he looks like a top five NFL RB (I know a lot of you will look at it though your Bear Hater glasses and say he isn't a top 5 RB anyway but I pretty much ignore those types of posts)

I can't really think of much that I take seriously out of the preseason and stats for guys who have already proven themselves is one of my least concerns.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 8/27/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:43:19 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

I love Randall Cobb. But honestly something is up this pre-season. He started it off really freaking good. Somewhere along the way, something changed. He doesn't seem as confident in the last two games. I am not hating on him. I am just curious that's all. Something hasn't been quite right the past two weeks. That is not to say that he won't be a factor this year. Not at all. It is just that for the past two weeks... I don't know. Something seems a little off with him.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:28:28 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,712
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
I love Randall Cobb. But honestly something is up this pre-season. He started it off really freaking good. Somewhere along the way, something changed. He doesn't seem as confident in the last two games. I am not hating on him. I am just curious that's all. Something hasn't been quite right the past two weeks. That is not to say that he won't be a factor this year. Not at all. It is just that for the past two weeks... I don't know. Something seems a little off with him.


Since they put them back out there on punt returns?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / polargrizz

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Rios39

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool