texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Mike McCarthy's job is to win football games. It's NOT to keep fans informed or to humor whiners. I don't give a damn if he lies to the damn media, in fact I prefer he provides disinformation to opponents that way.

That being said, my opinion of him as a coach has slipped some over the years. He is consistently hyper-cautious in a lot of ways - personnel, injuries, and often play calling. As was said, the performance of Aaron Rodgers has made up for/covered over a LOT of deficiencies. I will stop short of saying the Packers are winning in spite of him (McCarthy) instead of because of him, but let's just say, a lot of things haven't been maximized.

Any of this that can be said about McCarthy, though, goes double for Ted Thompson. The very first post I made when I got back into posting a couple years ago criticized Thompson. I was amazed at the firestorm that caused, as a few years earlier, when I took a sabbatical from posting, Thompson was routinely criticized, even ridiculed by posters, and I, at least had tepidly defending him. Now, it seems, he is generating some negativity again.

I see a multitude of weaknesses made to seem less significant because of Aaron Rodgers; I see various "strengths" greatly multiplied by the play of Rodgers. I don't think our O Line is nearly as good as its reputation - most days, mediocre pass rushes look super against our line, putting way too much pressure on Rodgers. I would dearly love to see what he could do with quality pass blocking. Our pass receivers are good, no doubt about it, but I see them as magnified by the QB, not the other way around. Our runners are good too, but they can't do much when the O Line is getting beat. They, too, seem better when Rodgers passes successfully to set up the run - the other way around is a recipe for mediocrity. Defense, too, it just doesn't seem like Thompson has come close to maximizing the talent he coulda/shoulda provided. He has the reputation, however, of being a great GM because the team wins consistently.

I don't type fast enough to participate in chat during the game - I'd miss too much typing instead of watching. However, I do read along most of the time, and it's downright humorous how panicky some people get, and downright "bad" the Packers become for short periods of time. Like Freudian slips, however, a lot of the crap spewed in reaction to bad shit on the field has a ring of truth - then Aaron Rodgers bails everybody out, we win anyway, and Ted is back to being a great GM. I can live with that, but both in the case of McCarthy and Thompson, I just kinda wish they would make some minor adjustments to maximize things.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DoddPower
9 years ago

Mike McCarthy's job is to win football games. It's NOT to keep fans informed or to humor whiners. I don't give a damn if he lies to the damn media, in fact I prefer he provides disinformation to opponents that way.

That being said, my opinion of him as a coach has slipped some over the years. He is consistently hyper-cautious in a lot of ways - personnel, injuries, and often play calling. As was said, the performance of Aaron Rodgers has made up for/covered over a LOT of deficiencies. I will stop short of saying the Packers are winning in spite of him (McCarthy) instead of because of him, but let's just say, a lot of things haven't been maximized.

Any of this that can be said about McCarthy, though, goes double for Ted Thompson. The very first post I made when I got back into posting a couple years ago criticized Thompson. I was amazed at the firestorm that caused, as a few years earlier, when I took a sabbatical from posting, Thompson was routinely criticized, even ridiculed by posters, and I, at least had tepidly defending him. Now, it seems, he is generating some negativity again.

I see a multitude of weaknesses made to seem less significant because of Aaron Rodgers; I see various "strengths" greatly multiplied by the play of Rodgers. I don't think our O Line is nearly as good as its reputation - most days, mediocre pass rushes look super against our line, putting way too much pressure on Rodgers. I would dearly love to see what he could do with quality pass blocking. Our pass receivers are good, no doubt about it, but I see them as magnified by the QB, not the other way around. Our runners are good too, but they can't do much when the O Line is getting beat. They, too, seem better when Rodgers passes successfully to set up the run - the other way around is a recipe for mediocrity. Defense, too, it just doesn't seem like Thompson has come close to maximizing the talent he coulda/shoulda provided. He has the reputation, however, of being a great GM because the team wins consistently.

I don't type fast enough to participate in chat during the game - I'd miss too much typing instead of watching. However, I do read along most of the time, and it's downright humorous how panicky some people get, and downright "bad" the Packers become for short periods of time. Like Freudian slips, however, a lot of the crap spewed in reaction to bad shit on the field has a ring of truth - then Aaron Rodgers bails everybody out, we win anyway, and Ted is back to being a great GM. I can live with that, but both in the case of McCarthy and Thompson, I just kinda wish they would make some minor adjustments to maximize things.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

While I generally agree with your post, I would venture to say that the majority of Packers fans think both Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy could and should be doing a better job, certainly in some areas more than others. It's pretty obvious to most that the talent the Packers have isn't maximized by the coaches, and it's obvious to most that the Packers need more talent, and have missed on multiple opportunities to bring in more talent. Also, Aaron Rodgers and the entire team need to play better, especially in big games. Most of that would be hard to objectively defend.

But some, like myself, believe the Packers aren't that far away. If they could just get another impact player or two on defense, and another really good offensive linemen, things would probably look a lot different in Packerland. And that's been the case for several seasons now, so it really isn't an unrealistic expectation to obtain that talent over multiple years. It's just frustrating when the Packers assemble a good team, but can't seem to find the few missing pieces they desperately need.

Mike McCarthy is pretty good, but not great. I think Ted Thompson is good, but he needs to be better. I think he can be, but it needs to happen and soon. I think he could really help himself by filling a few more holes via free agency, but it is what it is. There is certainly no guarantee that any other head coach of general manager would be much better. It would be more likely that they'd be worse, unless we are talking about Dom Capers. I don't see how it's possible that there isn't at least a slightly better defensive coordinator out there. Somewhere.

Either way, the entire organization needs to be better. No doubt about it. I think they can be, but obviously others do not. Just because I think they can be doesn't mean I think they 100% will. Only time will tell. But they've done it once before, so it's absolutely possible.
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I think he's a good coach...look at his record...but noit great. I see a lack of in-game adjustments and questionable play calling at times, and I see too little attention paid to the defense.

I think he's a good teacher and motivator for his guys, but it's a credit to the depth of talent that they win consistently despite the injuries.

If the defense remains as tentative up front and confused on the back end, Capers will have to go, as will McCarthy if he remains loyal to an assistant whose unit underperforms (cf. Shula/Olividatti).
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

What information would Mike McCarthy be protecting with that answer? What bulletin board material would an opponent gain? Your explanation of your point makes no sense in the context of how he non-answered that specific question.

I know what coach speak is... however, there was no reason to be engaging in coach speak to that specific question.

Mike McCarthy doesn't have anything to do with the releasing of players, though...that is TT's arena.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You can't really believe this statement can you? Mike has NO input whatsoever in which players the team keeps and which players are released? He just shows up in his office and looks over the roster to know who is on the team today?

Say it ain't so.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

You can't really believe this statement can you? Mike has NO input whatsoever in which players the team keeps and which players are released? He just shows up in his office and looks over the roster to know who is on the team today?

Say it ain't so.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

wpr, don't you realize that Mike and Dom are just on strings to the puppet master Uncle Ted?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
musccy
9 years ago

That being said, my opinion of him as a coach has slipped some over the years. He is consistently hyper-cautious in a lot of ways - personnel, injuries, and often play calling.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

The Packers went for it on 4th down v Seahawks when I believe the game was still 17-10
The Packers started out passing from their 3 yard line after Tramon's pick with less than 2:00 in the half
Onside kick I believe after their 1st TD? Against an offense that was moving the ball w/ ease
55 yard field goal which if missed would have given a hot offense great field position

This is not hyper-cautious. If you want to criticize M.M. of anything, I'd say at times he's borderline reckless.

I don't know what you mean in terms of personnel. Maybe Jones and Hawk and I'll agree with you there, but we've seen a quick trigger finger in the past with other players. Someone mentioned Jeremy Ross in this thread, Harris was benched from KR duties in Seattle. Either Aaron Rodgers or Mike McCarthy gave up on Boykin pretty quickly yesterday.

Play calling is tough to analyze from our perspective. As we all know, Aaron can audible, so we can't even know the play that M.M. intended to execute. If you want to criticize play calling, some of that blame has to fall at Aaron's feet as well, and that's before we delve into the responsibility of players to execute. How many times have we quoted Lombardi saying he should be able to tell the opponent he's running a sweep and still gain yards each time?

Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.