steveishere
9 years ago

It would be nice to hit on just one a year.

Not knowing what the player and agent say to Uncle Teddy's offer is the key. Every once in a while something trickles down to us peons but it never comes from Ted himself.

What I find interesting is GB FAs have no problem wanting to re-sign with the Packers and yet all other FAs somehow don't want to come to GB. You would think that the word would be out there that GB is not as terrible of a destination as the media likes to portray it as. The NFL is a pretty small fraternity. Guys played college with other players. Some of them were on the same NFL team together. They share the same agents. You would think that there would not be a hindrance when it comes to getting FAs.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

It's not just about GB not being desirable either though. If I'm a FA becoming a millionaire even if it isn't any one thing that makes me decide where to go it's going to at least weigh into my decision whether I'm going to GB or Miami or SoCal or something. When you filter down the entire amount of FA to just the guys that you are interested in or are a fit for your team that seems like it can have a significant impact.
nerdmann
9 years ago

It's not just about GB not being desirable either though. If I'm a FA becoming a millionaire even if it isn't any one thing that makes me decide where to go it's going to at least weigh into my decision whether I'm going to GB or Miami or SoCal or something. When you filter down the entire amount of FA to just the guys that you are interested in or are a fit for your team that seems like it can have a significant impact.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Especially if your team has far fewer needs than other teams.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
9 years ago
Green Bay's "draft and develop" philosophy is just fine. The problem, as always, just lies in execution. If the Packers had been having very good-to-great drafts consistently the past few years, this team would be unstoppable. The draft picks just need to be better. Easier said than done, but it's really that simple. Although the coaching needs to be better, too. Especially defense and offensive line.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
To paraphrase the famous John Kerry flip-flop line, I was against Ted Thompson before I was for him ....... and now I'm kinda drifting back toward being against him.

On the one hand, you can't argue too strongly against the winning record. On the other hand, you can point to one glorious moment when he stumbled into drafting Aaron Rodgers, and ask where would we be if we hadn't gotten him?

I have never been in favor of going after other teams' free agents, but Ted is just so set in his ways. You gotta have just a little flexibility. There are rare exceptional situations when it is a good idea. Ron Wolfe knew that. I'm optimistic enough to think we can go all the way and win the Super Bowl with what we've got - both personnel and coaching, but it wouldn't have taken too much of an upgrade to have a really dominant team.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
dfosterf
9 years ago

Green Bay's "draft and develop" philosophy is just fine. The problem, as always, just lies in execution. If the Packers had been having very good-to-great drafts consistently the past few years, this team would be unstoppable. The draft picks just need to be better. Easier said than done, but it's really that simple. Although the coaching needs to be better, too. Especially defense and offensive line.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

The problem just lies in execution. This is the NFL, a/k/a not for long-- Unless you have no owner-man. EXECUTE. The draft is not a complete panacea. It's cheap, but it's pretty obvious it is but one piece of the puzzle. Ted's draft and develop system has created a team that generally does not embarrass. It's kind of like our ticket prices, middle of the road. We paid Aaron Rodgers, so Ted is close to what we have to do, anyway. He needs to pick up FA's in key positions of need, imo He needs to try that CONSTANTLY, instead of virtually NEVER... See the difference?

Ted's big move was getting Julius Peppers this year. My neighbors are still laughing about the Green Bay Packers defense at me.
macbob
9 years ago
Part of the reason Ted doesn't want to (potentially) overpay for high-priced free agents is he's trying to preserve space to lock up our own players that he wants to retain (A R, CM3, Jordy, Cobb, Lacy (in the future) etc) before they become free agents. He's trying to preserve the core of the team while building depth around them.

That said, in my opinion if his philosophy is to draft for 'best available' rather than 'need', then Ted needs to be more active in the free agent market to target our need positions.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 years ago
I honestly think we start slow is because our very good former toll-taker head coach needs time to correct the crap he got dealt in the off-season, as he's not smart enough to compensate for Ted's failures until they evidence themselves on the football field. He's slow, but has a good football mind. He does very good in the 2nd half of games, for example.

Now Dom, that's yet another story. He might possibly be the most over-rated defensive coordinator in history. I sense he has a stubbornness about him. He does the same shit over and over again. Hey Dom- bring heat, it's the only thing that works here, thanks to Ted.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Ted overvalues his own, undervalues others, drafts guys to fit in spots they don't excel in... fails a lot up high, especially Round 1.

He's inept at drafting O an D lineman. Some would argue that our OL is good...it is not good, it's just better than the bad it's been. It's overmatched vs. good defensive fronts and vice versa for DL. He has NEVER drafted a competent ILB in his years in Green Bay outside of Desmond Bishop.

He is excellent finding decent players who nobody ever heard of late in the draft or off the street.

The idea of draft and develop alone is a losing strategy because EVERY NFL team partakes in the draft and develops those they draft. There isn't one of the other 31 teams that doesn't. So, if that's our singular philosophy we lose mightily UNLESS we hit on much better players. Fortunately, for TT, he hit on Rodgers which covers the multitude of misses he has up high.

To not use FA more is a crime because you can pay for proven players as opposed to guys who aren't. I want Khyri Thornton's money back...I want Bradford's money back...heck, gimme Richard Rodgers money, too. You know I wanted Graham who just dominates the TE position like no one else in the NFL.

Another major flaw is he doesn't ever repair major issues...he throws band aids on gaping wounds that don't work out. Safety, ILB, OL, C, I could go on and on with this.

Ultimately, it is Rodgers who defines all the accolades he receives. He deserves them for bringing Aaron in...he made the no brainer move but he still made it.

The franchise is eroding before our eyes and Aaron's clock is ticking and his slow plodding approach is wrong for who we have at QB and the holes we have at D that he hasn't been able to fill in YEARS.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

evad04
9 years ago
I posted this to the chat before I saw the thread. Regarding Eddie Lacy:

"It would seem that the Jets' first priority was taking Lacy out of the game. They routinely stacked the box with eight defenders. Green Bay countered by passing on like 16 of their first 17 plays. Took what the defense gave 'em. Currently Lacy is on pace for only 200 carries -- down from 284 last year. A lot of that is due to first two opponents."

The Packers have been guilty of abandoning the run in the past, but I'd have a hard time believing that's what hurt them early on Sunday. Jets were clearly interested in taking Lacy out of it. If teams are willing to do that then it's just a matter of the line holding up, because Rodgers will have 1-on-1s to exploit somewhere.

I don't necessarily predict a stark turnaround this weekend against Detroit. They're good against the run. But I don't think there's anything missing from Lacy's game that's holding him back. What he lacks in top-end speed he makes up for being a battering ram.

William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
evad04
9 years ago

Ted overvalues his own, undervalues others, drafts guys to fit in spots they don't excel in... fails a lot up high, especially Round 1.

He's inept at drafting O an D lineman. Some would argue that our OL is good...it is not good, it's just better than the bad it's been. It's overmatched vs. good defensive fronts and vice versa for DL. He has NEVER drafted a competent ILB in his years in Green Bay outside of Desmond Bishop.

He is excellent finding decent players who nobody ever heard of late in the draft or off the street.

The idea of draft and develop alone is a losing strategy because EVERY NFL team partakes in the draft and develops those they draft. There isn't one of the other 31 teams that doesn't. So, if that's our singular philosophy we lose mightily UNLESS we hit on much better players. Fortunately, for TT, he hit on Rodgers which covers the multitude of misses he has up high.

To not use FA more is a crime because you can pay for proven players as opposed to guys who aren't. I want Khyri Thornton's money back...I want Bradford's money back...heck, gimme Richard Rodgers money, too. You know I wanted Graham who just dominates the TE position like no one else in the NFL.

Another major flaw is he doesn't ever repair major issues...he throws band aids on gaping wounds that don't work out. Safety, ILB, OL, C, I could go on and on with this.

Ultimately, it is Rodgers who defines all the accolades he receives. He deserves them for bringing Aaron in...he made the no brainer move but he still made it.

The franchise is eroding before our eyes and Aaron's clock is ticking and his slow plodding approach is wrong for who we have at QB and the holes we have at D that he hasn't been able to fill in YEARS.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

From this thread a while back, which of course you never responded to: The 2012 draft is already ... 

"In the last 10 drafts (the 11th would include Aaron Rodgers, for what that's worth) the Pack have added the following first-rounders:

A.J. Hawk - Never lived up to No. 5 overall status, but remains a mainstay on the defense.

Justin Harrell - A classic bust, no doubt.

B.J. Raji - A strong contributor in his first few seasons and an important piece in the run to XLV. Has struggled of late and is in a key season to prove his worth.

Clay Matthews - The Claymaker only needs to stay on the field more. At times dominant. There are 31 other teams who'd gladly have his services.

Bryan Bulaga - A starting right tackle on an emerging offensive line. Better fit on the right side, and that's just fine.

Derek Sherrod - It's hard to make a judgment on the pick because of a catastrophic leg injury that set him back two seasons. It's not terribly difficult to make a judgment on the player, who appears to be a career backup unless things dramatically improve.

Nick Perry - Loses battle to injury bug every year. Flashes at times, but hasn't exactly mastered transition from DE to OLB. Not a bust yet, but potentially heading in that direction.

Datone Jones - Has the body type and measurables that would seem to translate to next level. Disappeared at times last season. Will need to make strides in second season to make impact.

Ha-Ha Clinton Dix - By all accounts a guy who plays smart and does most things well without excelling in any category. A rookie. So, ya, needs to play first.

So since we took A-Rod over a decade ago, there's been one guy who we can purely call a first-round bust: Justin Harrell. You could argue Sherrod is knocking on the doorstep and that Perry, barring improvement, is heading in that direction.

You've also got a pair of stalwart starters in A.J. Hawk and Bryan Bulaga. Raji has made his mark but needs to regain his old form. Matthews is a star player, no doubt. Datone and Ha-Ha need more time.

Can you knock it off already with the first-round doom and gloom?

*edit: And I almost forgot about Jordy! We, of course, moved back into the second round to get him -- but he was our No. 1 pick that year. Eat it."

William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.