dfosterf
9 years ago

Ted overvalues his own, undervalues others, drafts guys to fit in spots they don't excel in... fails a lot up high, especially Round 1.

He's inept at drafting O an D lineman. Some would argue that our OL is good...it is not good, it's just better than the bad it's been. It's overmatched vs. good defensive fronts and vice versa for DL. He has NEVER drafted a competent ILB in his years in Green Bay outside of Desmond Bishop.

He is excellent finding decent players who nobody ever heard of late in the draft or off the street.

The idea of draft and develop alone is a losing strategy because EVERY NFL team partakes in the draft and develops those they draft. There isn't one of the other 31 teams that doesn't. So, if that's our singular philosophy we lose mightily UNLESS we hit on much better players. Fortunately, for TT, he hit on Rodgers which covers the multitude of misses he has up high.

To not use FA more is a crime because you can pay for proven players as opposed to guys who aren't. I want Khyri Thornton's money back...I want Bradford's money back...heck, gimme Richard Rodgers money, too. You know I wanted Graham who just dominates the TE position like no one else in the NFL.

Another major flaw is he doesn't ever repair major issues...he throws band aids on gaping wounds that don't work out. Safety, ILB, OL, C, I could go on and on with this.

Ultimately, it is Rodgers who defines all the accolades he receives. He deserves them for bringing Aaron in...he made the no brainer move but he still made it.

The franchise is eroding before our eyes and Aaron's clock is ticking and his slow plodding approach is wrong for who we have at QB and the holes we have at D that he hasn't been able to fill in YEARS.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That's damn close to dead on. Apparently you whined excessively as you were quite prominent in the post game chat this week at the top of this website. I wasn't there. Far as I'm concerned, if THIS is the kind of thing you were bitchin' about, you have it pretty much pegged. If you wanna continue to bitch, I'll listen, very closely.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

That's damn close to dead on. Apparently you whined excessively as you were quite prominent in the post game chat this week at the top of this website. I wasn't there. Far as I'm concerned, if THIS is the kind of thing you were bitchin' about, you have it pretty much pegged. If you wanna continue to bitch, I'll listen, very closely.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Reality is not "negative" or "positive"...it's reality. Sadly, those who point out truths are "negative" and not fitting in with those who wish to pretend things.

evad04 wants me to "eat it". That's rich...I think one bite would be way too much for me. Let's just say your view our our guys is more like the "I like the guys we've got" GM we have vs. how I view them.

Our guy is a very slow reactor and when he does react he usually reacts wrongly. He's always trying to be the smartest guy in the room...that is an admission from the man himself. Trying to replace Nick Collins with a kid from Maine named McMillian as well as a kid from Arkansas State if memory serves in MD Jennings. Yup...fixed it, Ted. We need a center? Oh, let's get cute and get a guy well past his prime in Saturday. What a joke that was. Now, he has failed REPEATEDLY to find anyone of any ability to play opposite of Clay so what does he do? Goes out and grabs a declining 34 year old who has NEVER played OLB! Conversion, conversion, conversion...and for cheap, too. Julius didn't want big money because there was none for him. He took a modest contract from us but huge in the context of what he has left. Fixed, again, eh, TT?
Ted Thompson is good at drafting WR's...I should've mentioned that earlier...he's done a very nice job there. It is his strength without question.

As for the game chat... way too many people celebrating things that weren't worthy of celebration. You shouldn't be partying like it's 1999 because you just beat the Jets, at home, after watching a TD be nullified by an improper official call... watching Wilkerson and Decker go out...the two best at their respective positions. Lacy did diddly, again. The D was porous vs. a team that had trouble scoring on THE RAIDERS! THE RAIDERS! Let that soak in. The OAKLAND RAIDERS at their home in NJ. Come to Lambeau they look like the Saints in New Orleans. Geno Smith...SUCKS...flat out...SUCKS. An embarrassment that team was even in the game with us much less almost beating us.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

evad04
9 years ago

Reality is not "negative" or "positive"...it's reality. Sadly, those who point out truths are "negative" and not fitting in with those who wish to pretend things.

evad04 wants me to "eat it". That's rich...I think one bite would be way too much for me. Let's just say your view our our guys is more like the "I like the guys we've got" GM we have vs. how I view them.

Our guy is a very slow reactor and when he does react he usually reacts wrongly. He's always trying to be the smartest guy in the room...that is an admission from the man himself. Trying to replace Nick Collins with a kid from Maine named McMillian as well as a kid from Arkansas State if memory serves in MD Jennings. Yup...fixed it, Ted. We need a center? Oh, let's get cute and get a guy well past his prime in Saturday. What a joke that was. Now, he has failed REPEATEDLY to find anyone of any ability to play opposite of Clay so what does he do? Goes out and grabs a declining 34 year old who has NEVER played OLB! Conversion, conversion, conversion...and for cheap, too. Julius didn't want big money because there was none for him. He took a modest contract from us but huge in the context of what he has left. Fixed, again, eh, TT?

Ted Thompson is good at drafting WR's...I should've mentioned that earlier...he's done a very nice job there. It is his strength without question.

As for the game chat... way too many people celebrating things that weren't worthy of celebration. You shouldn't be partying like it's 1999 because you just beat the Jets, at home, after watching a TD be nullified by an improper official call... watching Wilkerson and Decker go out...the two best at their respective positions. Lacy did diddly, again. The D was porous vs. a team that had trouble scoring on THE RAIDERS! THE RAIDERS! Let that soak in. The OAKLAND RAIDERS at their home in NJ. Come to Lambeau they look like the Saints in New Orleans. Geno Smith...SUCKS...flat out...SUCKS. An embarrassment that team was even in the game with us much less almost beating us.

You don't have a monopoly on reality. It's your presentation that mostly pisses people off. Everyone else is wrong or blind to your reality, which is an awfully sanctimonious and douchey way of presenting yourself. And there's not a single thought you don't repeat a dozen times over. We all get it. You think the team is going to hell in a handbasket. Same shtick gets old.

Hard to maintain objectivity when you're shouting all the time. And "Geno Smith...SUCKS...flat out...SUCKS" is some truly penetrating analysis. Don't quit your day-job.

With regard to the who-beat-who arithmetic of the Jets/Raiders: There are 25 teams in the NFL with one loss or more in two weeks. There are only three unbeaten teams in the NFC. Wins are hard. Take them where you can get them.

William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Smokey
9 years ago
I've read some well thought out post in this thread. I agree that Ted Thompson is too inflexible about getting players the team needs. The climate is a also real factor involved when attracting talent. However let us not overlook the fact that some states do not have State Taxes. Texas and Florida come to mind.
I would cheer if Ted Thompson would only sit down at the Poker (trade)Table instead of just watching from his chair at the bar. He must know as well as anybody that the team needs a Nose Tackle, but it would go against his policy to trade with another team to fill that need. The Draft is not the only way to better positions in need of improvement. So you trade a player and two late round draft picks for another teams backup Nose Tackle. Some teams backups would be starters on other teams. 🐴
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

And just because you post something doesn't make it reality.

After the Jets game you were obsessively doing your best job at trying to point out why Packers fans shouldn't be happy with the win over the Jets... which was very negative (and not reality). Should we be happy about every play? No... but happy that it was a win? HELL YES! And people were happy yet you kept saying they're mistaken because we were too biased to see the reality that we should be upset and giving every reason why we should be upset...

You nonstop telling people how they should feel after the game wasn't reality... it wasn't the truth... it was very negative.

You don't have a monopoly on reality. It's your presentation that mostly pisses people off. Everyone else is wrong or blind to your reality, which is an awfully sanctimonious and douchey way of presenting yourself. And there's not a single thought you don't repeat a dozen times over. We all get it. You think the team is going to hell in a handbasket. Same shtick gets old.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

That's the truth!
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
The approach is fine. Just would like to hit on a few more draft picks along the way.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
beast
9 years ago

That said, in my opinion if his philosophy is to draft for 'best available' rather than 'need', then Ted needs to be more active in the free agent market to target our need positions.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

I very much agree with that. Though I think sometimes fans pick a slogan and sometimes stick to it, and it's not always true. I think Packers look at bot best available and need... and I think a number of times they've gone with best available at a needed position...

Also think they define need differently than fans as they know more and think about it differently. I know for a number of years that the 2nd pick in the draft was often a position of need or a position where a currently players would be a FA soon... as Matthews was to Kampman and Neal was to Jenkins, etc etc...

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

I very much agree with that. Though I think sometimes fans pick a slogan and sometimes stick to it, and it's not always true. I think Packers look at bot best available and need... and I think a number of times they've gone with best available at a needed position...

Also think they define need differently than fans as they know more and think about it differently. I know for a number of years that the 2nd pick in the draft was often a position of need or a position where a currently players would be a FA soon... as Matthews was to Kampman and Neal was to Jenkins, etc etc...

Originally Posted by: beast 

He did just that in drafting Dix. Remember when he drafted BJ? Not to mention Sherrod and Bulaga.

Fact is our current need didn't become a need until, what was it 3rd preseason game when we lost Raji?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
evad04
9 years ago

He did just that in drafting Dix. Remember when he drafted BJ? Not to mention Sherrod and Bulaga.

Fact is our current need didn't become a need until, what was it 3rd preseason game when we lost Raji?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Just to prove it is indeed possible, I completely agree with you.

There's been some clamoring about the nose tackle, but fact is we had a starter and he was lost for the season. It's *possible* there's a big athletic fatso out there -- where's Howard Green these days? Kidding, kinda -- but it's more likely that a starting-caliber NT isn't just hanging around.

And it's probably not as easy as making a trade. How many in-season trades do you really see, anyway?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
DoddPower
9 years ago

And just because you post something doesn't make it reality.

After the Jets game you were obsessively doing your best job at trying to point out why Packers fans shouldn't be happy with the win over the Jets... which was very negative (and not reality). Should we be happy about every play? No... but happy that it was a win? HELL YES! And people were happy yet you kept saying they're mistaken because we were too biased to see the reality that we should be upset and giving every reason why we should be upset...

You nonstop telling people how they should feel after the game wasn't reality... it wasn't the truth... it was very negative.

That's the truth!

Originally Posted by: beast 

For some reason, it's impossible for him to see the blatantly obvious subjectivity to his posts. The majority of the time, they are FAR from "objective" or "reality." But, it's obvious he's incapable of seeing that, so it is what it is. But if someone tries to tell me not to enjoy a historical come back win . . . well they can just kiss my [boxing] . I enjoyed the win because it had lots of drama, excellent plays, and a victory. Just what I look for in my entertainment. Sure, it could have been a better win, but a win is a win. No one is going to minimize that for me. In fact, no one is going to tell me how to enjoy Packers football in any way, shape, or form. I'm going to enjoy it as I see fit just as everyone else is going to.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.