musccy
9 years ago

I wonder if this is on Rodgers or on the coaching staff. It reminds me of when they tried to make Finley the vocal point of the offense... Resulting in Rodgers forcing nearly everything his way.

That stopped when Finley got hurt and they were forced to spread it around.

I'm hoping it doesn't have to come to that.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

In both instances it seems that Aaron Rodgers or the coaches have had the confidence in those players to win a 50-50 ball. We saw that a couple of times vs. the Jets where Nelson was blanketed and Aaron Rodgers trusted him to win the battle.
all_about_da_packers
9 years ago

I'm sure that A.Rodgers is not happy with his play, yet he knows as we all should, that if the O-line is not doing it's job then he can't do his. We also know that a QB never blames his O-line for poor play. Many don't like to face the truth of reality, but the sooner you do , the quicker a solution can be implemented. Some will run and point and say the sky is falling, they find blame in the wrong place most often.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

You do not address the fact that Aaron has had success with lesser O-lines than this. Or indicated how a better O-line would solve Aaron focusing on Jordy too much.

I'm still not seeing how fixing the o-line is the magical solution that will fix everything else.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
nerdmann
9 years ago

As for the reasons why, I can give you four things that contribute much more to Rodgers' play recently than his interest level: 1.) Very bad offensive line play, 2.) receivers not getting enough separation, 3.) Running backs making poor decisions, and 4.) play calling. How many quarterbacks truly would play good behind this offensive line and lack of running game? I mean honestly? I'm not excusing Rodgers by any means. The guy sucked and he needs to play better. But so does everyone else on offense.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

5: Not wanting to take the checkdown 6: Holding the ball for 8.5 seconds waiting for something to develop deep. 7: Stat whoring.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

Boykin, Lacy, Cobb, and at times Starks and to a lesser extent Quarless have all "proven" to be more than competent options for ARod, in most instances they have shown this within the last 12 months, so I don't agree with the idea that there isn't playmaking talent around him, maybe not elite, but it's not inhibiting success either.

The bigger problem (of many) is his fixation on Nelson. I commented after the Seattle game when ARod threw about 50 yards across his body to Nelson double covered in the middle of the field, while Cobb was 15 yards in front of his face on the right sideline 8 yards behind the corner with no safety help. One of many examples of some tunnel vision he's displayed.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

By "tunnel vision," do you mean always trying to go for the big play? Teams know how to beat Aaron. Pull your safeties deep and make him take the short stuff underneath.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

I'm sure that A.Rodgers is not happy with his play, yet he knows as we all should, that if the O-line is not doing it's job then he can't do his. We also know that a QB never blames his O-line for poor play. Many don't like to face the truth of reality, but the sooner you do , the quicker a solution can be implemented. Some will run and point and say the sky is falling, they find blame in the wrong place most often.

If the oline is struggling, then let's help them out with some screens, traps, misdirection. Maybe a draw play or two. Oh wait, that would prevent Aaron from holding the ball for 8.5 and forcing it deep to Jordy.
Cheesey
9 years ago

If you put lipstick on a pig, you just have a pig wearing lipstick .

(Or a real pretty side of BACON!)[grin1]
UserPostedImage
Yerko
9 years ago
I am still trying to figure out why Randall Cobb isn't utilized in the same way or close to the way Seattle utilizes Percy Harvin. Motion, play-action, fake hand-offs, reverses etc etc. If he isn't getting open by running regular, off-the-line routes then change it up. Motion him out of the backfield...DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!! And with that said, Cobb shouldn't be blanketed by a street free agent...ever. That's pathetic.

Rodgers has been off pretty much all season and we can all sit here and make up reasons, some being ridiculous (like the fans blaming Olivia Munn-- for real) but no one has any real idea as to why. Seems as a whole group, nothing is clicking so to put the finger on one thing would be a mistake. He's human and he is going to make these mistakes...the problem is, why so many? He's going to under/over throw a receiver here and there. He does hold onto the ball too long and I've said this since week 1, he looks like he is shell shocked in the pocket. He drops back for a pass and you can just see the hesitation in everything he is doing back there. Lately, he won't have a defender within 3 yards of him and he is already preparing for something bad to happen. He's been indecisive.
Why?

I might be alone in this thought but with Bulaga back, I think the offensive line is fine. As mentioned, it has been worse. Rodgers has time to throw the ball. I'm not going to comment much on the run-blocking because aside from Sitton, this has never been much of a run-blocking line. Put it up against three of the top five run defenses and its going to look worse than it does. It will get better with the upcoming opponents.

Even though the Packers have played against three of the top five run defenses, Lacy has to be better. Simple way to fix this...call better plays for him. We have a runningback that can break the first tackle a majority of the time. Why in the hell is that shotgun toss play constantly being called for Lacy? Run north and south, smashmouth run plays for the guy and let him drop his hulk-like shoulder. Enough of this finesse bullshit where he has to dance around looking for an opening.

Maybe, just maybe this offense misses the likes of James Jones and Jermichael Finley. As much as some would like to discredit Finley, he did things for this offense that none of the current tight ends can...draw attention. The tight ends are below average. The Packers receivers aren't that good. Outside of Jordy and Cobb (when used appropriately), they have an average Boykin and a rookie in Adams. This isn't to say Adams won't be good...he's just raw. Having a James Jones presence yesterday would have made the Lions defense adjust instead of double-covering Nelson all game. There was no one to draw that double-coverage attention away and this trend will continue.

McCarthy needs to relinquish all play calling responsibility. Its awful, its predictable and it is just making matters worse.

Defense actually looked better and you'd expect a Packers win when they hold a team to 10 points. But, when is the last time we have witnessed the defense AND offense click in the same game? There are still some issues I saw with the defense yesterday and that was the constant mismatches that continued throughout the game-- linebackers in coverage against Reggie Bush. Out-coached, no changes made. It became pretty clear that any time Bush trailed out, the ball was going to him and the Packers never had an answer.
I don't want to harp on the defense though because they held a dangerous offense to only 10 points, which no one really expected to happen.

I love the play of Lattimore. Its night and day compared to Brad Jones.
Peppers was good yesterday and what he did was expected of him (he played against a 3rd stringer).
I think Tramon has been awesome the entire season and that was a BS DPI called on him yesterday.
HaHa got his first interception and broke the two year drought of safety interceptions. He's going to be good for the Packers defense in the coming years.

Sorry, that was longer than I expected. Frustrating Monday. (Go Jets)
UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago
Now who can argue with that ? =d>
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

We have a runningback that can break the first tackle a majority of the time. Why in the hell is that shotgun toss play constantly being called for Lacy? Run north and south, smashmouth run plays for the guy and let him drop his hulk-like shoulder. Enough of this finesse bullsh*t where he has to dance around looking for an opening.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I completely agree... I understand the thought that the Packers OL odds of beating Suh and Fairley are slim... but when you have two normally good power RBs and nothing else is working you got to at least attempt to run at them or next to them and wear them down... and the OL sets them up and the RBs try to run over them... if they're able to fall forward get 2 to 4 yards... if able to break a tackle even more.

Is that how you want to win? Probably not... but sometimes if you're other options aren't working sometimes you have to try to win it the ugly way... but it's simple, if teams don't see Lacy as a threat to go up the middle, then he probably can't go outside because lack of speed... he needs to be a threat inside to get him a possible hole to the outside.

Though Starks did look like he was able to get to the outside better and seemed more aggressive to bull forward at times... but maybe the Lions were playing the run threat less with Starks in or something... or maybe Starks just played better.
UserPostedImage
evad04
9 years ago

5: Not wanting to take the checkdown 6: Holding the ball for 8.5 seconds waiting for something to develop deep. 7: Stat whoring.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

It's like half of your brain works like a normal, functioning human being. And the other half farts out "stat whoring" and I lose all hope.

You don't HONESTLY believe the Rodgers is trying to pad his stats or increase his fantasy value? Tell me you're being sarcastic.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.