evad04
9 years ago

I see posters running around pointing that the sky is falling. Looking in every wrong direction for the wrong answers. The right answer was plain to those that watched the Detroit game. Our O and D-lines were taken to school. ALL, I repeat ALL other positions begin and end with the line play. On Offense the running attack hinges upon the O-line play as does the passing game. On defence, stopping the run begins with the D-line as does the pass rush. Yes, there are plays pointed out where there was a sack or a great catch was made, but they are great individual efforts, not part of the problem. Too much focus is placed on the "star" positions, I say examine the foundation before you buy the house.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Well, we disagree about the defensive line. That was not really an area of weakness today. D-line play wasn't spectacular, but the defense only seemed to run into problems in the second half when it was on the field forever.

The offensive line, by comparison, was hot garbage. Completely uninspiring, especially in the run game.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Well, we disagree about the defensive line. That was not really an area of weakness today. D-line play wasn't spectacular, but the defense only seemed to run into problems in the second half when it was on the field forever.

The offensive line, by comparison, was hot garbage. Completely uninspiring, especially in the run game.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

"Completely uninspiring"? How dare you. [grin1]

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Everyone can take a piece of the blame. That is the beauty and ugliness of the team sport that is football. It is up to each individual on this team and staff to figure this out. I am happy that I saw a defense that is noticeably improving and troubled that I see an offense that is spinning its wheels in mud. Next week is a must win for this team to get back on track.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Smokey
9 years ago
If you put lipstick on a pig, you just have a pig wearing lipstick and not a beauty queen. Fix the O/D-lines and you fix much of the Packers core problems.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago

If you put lipstick on a pig, you just have a pig wearing lipstick and not a beauty queen. Fix the O/D-lines and you fix much of the Packers core problems.

I've always thought this too. Not that I know what I'm talking about since I'm not a general manager. But if I was, I would try my best to build my team around the trenches. Offensive and defensive lines/linebackers are absolutely critical. If a team has consistent good play out of those units, they are going to be good. The Bengals come to mind, even with a very average quarterback. That's where it all starts. Without a good offensive line, even a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers can be made very pedestrian. The running game, too, even with a very good running back.

I realize it's easier said than done, but that's probably my biggest beef with Ted Thompson et al. They haven't been able to assemble very good trenches. Other than maybe quarterback, that would be priority number one for me.
all_about_da_packers
9 years ago

So, how do you explain the fact that Jordy Nelson has the same receiving yards by himself (351) as all the WRs, TEs, and RBs COMBINED (also at 351 yards; stats from Packers.com Stats section)? Or the fact that Aaron Rodgers is targeting Jordy about 1/3 of the time on his passes? Or the fact that Jordy is on pace to break his own record for being targeted in a season (93 times) by just game 6 of this season? (both latter stats from Profootball Focus) When was the last time you saw Rodgers -- who self-professes to getting the ball to whomever is open -- fixing on just one target so much?

Fixing the o-line would certainly give Rodgers more time to throw / more room for our RBs. It would not address the problem, though, that we seem to not have anyone capable of making a play behind Jordy (this included Aaron). Also, we've seen in the past A-Rod function well in a system where he has about 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball (Marshall Newhouse as starting LT, anyone?). It's not like Rodgers has not been successful with a sub-par line before. The norm for Rodgers has been sub-par O-lines during his career; he can function well regardless.

However, even with below average O-lines Rodgers has always had elite level playmaking talent around him while also being on the very top of his game. I'm suggesting the core problem right now is beyond bad o-line to the fact that Rodgers has next to no elite playmaking talent with him, and that Rodgers himself is uncharacteristically in a funk that he can't seem to get out of. Maybe the two (lack of playmakers and Rodgers' funk) are related? I just don't think the fix-all for this offense is better line play/talent though; it seems like something else is a problem.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
musccy
9 years ago

However, even with below average O-lines Rodgers has always had elite level playmaking talent around him while also being on the very top of his game. I'm suggesting the core problem right now is beyond bad o-line to the fact that Rodgers has next to no elite playmaking talent with him, and that Rodgers himself is uncharacteristically in a funk that he can't seem to get out of. Maybe the two (lack of playmakers and Rodgers' funk) are related? I just don't think the fix-all for this offense is better line play/talent though; it seems like something else is a problem.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

Boykin, Lacy, Cobb, and at times Starks and to a lesser extent Quarless have all "proven" to be more than competent options for ARod, in most instances they have shown this within the last 12 months, so I don't agree with the idea that there isn't playmaking talent around him, maybe not elite, but it's not inhibiting success either.

The bigger problem (of many) is his fixation on Nelson. I commented after the Seattle game when ARod threw about 50 yards across his body to Nelson double covered in the middle of the field, while Cobb was 15 yards in front of his face on the right sideline 8 yards behind the corner with no safety help. One of many examples of some tunnel vision he's displayed.

musccy
9 years ago

Notice what he says about Rodgers interest. I'm not the only guy saying it.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Whether it’s a lack of weapons, the playcalling or girlfriend Olivia Munn (only kidding… I think), quarterback Aaron Rodgers has looked very ordinary through 3 games. His numbers are OK, but his accuracy is off, he’s showing up teammates and he appears downright deflated at times No. 12 is being paid a fortune to make others better. He hasn’t been able to do that so far

This is his quote. Where does he say he lost motivation due to his SB MVP, raise, new superstar girlfriend, or Hans and Franz commercials?

Deflated - cause (someone) to suddenly lose confidence or feel less important.
Unmotivated - not having interest in or enthusiasm for something, especially work or study.
Rockmolder
9 years ago

Boykin, Lacy, Cobb, and at times Starks and to a lesser extent Quarless have all "proven" to be more than competent options for ARod, in most instances they have shown this within the last 12 months, so I don't agree with the idea that there isn't playmaking talent around him, maybe not elite, but it's not inhibiting success either.

The bigger problem (of many) is his fixation on Nelson. I commented after the Seattle game when ARod threw about 50 yards across his body to Nelson double covered in the middle of the field, while Cobb was 15 yards in front of his face on the right sideline 8 yards behind the corner with no safety help. One of many examples of some tunnel vision he's displayed.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I wonder if this is on Rodgers or on the coaching staff. It reminds me of when they tried to make Finley the vocal point of the offense... Resulting in Rodgers forcing nearly everything his way.

That stopped when Finley got hurt and they were forced to spread it around.

I'm hoping it doesn't have to come to that.
Smokey
9 years ago
I'm sure that A.Rodgers is not happy with his play, yet he knows as we all should, that if the O-line is not doing it's job then he can't do his. We also know that a QB never blames his O-line for poor play. Many don't like to face the truth of reality, but the sooner you do , the quicker a solution can be implemented. Some will run and point and say the sky is falling, they find blame in the wrong place most often.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.