wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
For a long time I have not been real happy with the rules for a safety. The rules were created when the NFL was a run first league. When there were not so many rules favoring the passing game. When the field could often be a quagmire of mud or at least had a greater resemblance to a cow pasture than a football field.

The owners have made so many changes to the rules why not have the team that got sacked kick from the 35 instead of the 20? As it stands teams the team that gets the 2 points for the sack will end up with a FG or TD as well. That is a bit more than what the original rule makers perceived.
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago
The rules have favored the offense so much in recent years, why take away more from the defense? It's so damn hard to get a safety as is, I have no problem with rewarding a team that's able to pull it off.
beast
9 years ago

I HATE the safety rules... I mean it's the hardest way to score, yet puts the least amount of points on the scoreboard? That's compete BS! I mean even a FG is worth more than a safety!...

I think safeties should be worth four points and then the offense team has to a kick it to the defensive team...

Or (and I think I prefer this idea) just go ahead and make a safety equal a touch down and the defensive team gets 6 points and a PAT chance and then kick it off.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
We shouldn't have been penalized for making a good play on the INT.

First of all, no one touched him, how is he down? Second of all, momentum carried him into the end zone. Ball should have been at the 20.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
9 years ago

We shouldn't have been penalized for making a good play on the INT.

First of all, no one touched him, how is he down? Second of all, momentum carried him into the end zone. Ball should have been at the 20.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He gained possession of the ball at the 1 yard line... and then momentum carried him into the end zone and then he was touched. As I see it, it's 1 yard line or a safety and that shouldn't be a safety...
UserPostedImage
warhawk
9 years ago

He gained possession of the ball at the 1 yard line... and then momentum carried him into the end zone and then he was touched. As I see it, it's 1 yard line or a safety and that shouldn't be a safety...

Originally Posted by: beast 

Why can't it be a touchback? To down the ball when the player wasn't touched is contrary to all the other rules. It just seems weird to me that a player is never down until touched by an opposing player while on the ground except in this case.

If he's touched at the 1 while down it's at the 1 but if he's not touched at the 1 and rolls into the end zone and touched it still goes back to the 1. I guess what bothers me about the this is the offensive player or players have an opportunity to down the player before he goes into the end zone so IMO if the defensive players momentum takes them into the end zone it should be a touchback.

That would be consistent with the rules of the game.

I might also add the rule is contrary to the touchback rules when downing a punt. If the ball is carried into the endzone by a players momentum that is a touchback.

I guess I just never knew there was a rule where a player with the ball is actually considered down without ever being touched. It was a hell of a play and a hell of a catch and regardless of the safety it penalized the team greatly and there is no other rule remotely close to this.
"The train is leaving the station."
beast
9 years ago

Why can't it be a touchback? To down the ball when the player wasn't touched is contrary to all the other rules.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

It can't be a touchback because he gained possession of the ball before making it into the end zone...

He WAS touched... IN THE END ZONE! After gaining possession BEFORE the end zone.

So it's either a Safety or the one yard line... I'll take the one yard line over giving up a Safety right away...

IMO if the defensive players momentum takes them into the end zone it should be a touchback.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

That's not how it works... it's all about where you gain possession... other wise what's to say a defensive players at the 5 doesn't want to return it and pretends his momentum takes it to the endzone?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.