Cheesey
15 years ago

Wouldn't they keep Flynn if that were the case? I mean, Flynn has done better so far, so would he be #3, and Brohm would be gone?

"Greg C." wrote:

That would be tricky. You never cut a second round pick at the end of training camp--you just don't--so if they got rid of Brohm it would be through a trade. And they would get very poor value for him if they traded him now. Brohm has a lot of potential, and I would be surprised if they gave up on him so quickly. Sometimes these cerebral-type QBs get off to slow starts in the NFL because they are overthinking.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Good point Greg.
I'd hate to lose Flynn. He looks pretty good for a rookie.
UserPostedImage
walleye
15 years ago
Flynn baby. In my opionion Brohm needs more time!
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
walleye
15 years ago
:magnifyglass: Green Bay - If Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy were hoping for some kind of sign - any kind of sign - that would tell them whether rookie quarterback Brian Brohm was ready to become Aaron Rodgers' backup this season, they got it Thursday night at Lambeau Field.
Packers quarterback Matt Flynn has the ball stripped by Jevon Kearse during the second quarter.

Advertisement
In the worst of his four exhibition game performances, Brohm showed during a 23-21 loss to the Tennessee Titans that the Green Bay Packers would be taking a major risk going into the regular season with him as the No. 2.
Excuses will be made for poor protection and broken routes, but the bottom line is that Brohm continued a downward trend in his play and showed despite his status as a second-round draft choice that he is not ready for prime time. He finished the exhibition season with a passer rating of 45.2 and led the offense to three points in 17 series.

Against the Titans, four of Brohm's series came against the opponent's No. 1 defense and his other two came against backups. None of his first five drives featured a first down and he didn't lead the team to a first down until late in the game.

"I talked to him in the locker room and he felt good about being there and the things he saw," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "He felt good about all that. I didn't sense any disappointment. I just don't know how much help he had. It was not some of the best protection when he was out there."

Brohm led the offense on a 14-play, 69-yard drive in the fourth quarter, but unlike his rookie teammate, Matt Flynn, was unable to get the team into the end zone. His fourth-down desperation pass to receiver Jake Allen was originally ruled a touchdown but was overturned by instant replay.

On the same night Brohm managed seven completions in 12 attempts for 52 yards with four sacks, Flynn was showing some of the plucky play that helped him lead Louisiana State to a national championship last year. Alternating every two series with Brohm after Rodgers and the No. 1s played one series, Flynn led the offense on two touchdown drives, including one in the last seconds that gave the Packers a chance to send the game into overtime.

"I thought Matt made some big plays down at the end, but once again it's information that you're using to develop the quarterbacks," coach Mike McCarthy said, declining to anoint Flynn the No. 2. "We'll continue to do that."

If there's anything Flynn's performance did it was all but preclude the Packers from obtaining a veteran before or after the cutdown to 53 Saturday. Though McCarthy said he hasn't ruled it out, he and Thompson aren't going to keep four quarterbacks on their roster, so if they pick up a veteran they would have to cut one of the two rookies.

Even though Brohm struggled this summer, the Packers aren't going to give up on a second-round pick whom some teams graded as a first-round talent before the draft. By virtue of his performance against the Titans, Flynn has done enough now to make it unlikely that he would make it through waivers so that he could be placed on the Packers' practice squad.

"I think we've both gotten better each week," Brohm said when asked about whether the Packers need a veteran to back up Rodgers. "Even in practice things are coming to us a lot easier. I feel pretty comfortable I'll keep getting better."

The big question for the Packers is whether Flynn's ability to get the team into the end zone on four of his 16 series during the exhibition season justifies making him the No. 2. Flynn has received the fewest practice snaps during training camp, yet has marched off drives of 62, 52 and 85 yards during the exhibition season.

He finished the summer completing 27 of 42 passes for 209 yards and three touchdowns, good for a passer rating of 100.2. Though he fumbled three times, he did not throw an interception and showed in the final series Thursday night how good he can be in a highly competitive situation.

"I've always had confidence in myself," Flynn said after completing eight of 13 passes for 77 yards and two touchdowns. "I think we had good execution tonight and when you get those touchdowns it solidifies your confidence."

Flynn would not say he deserves to be No. 2 ahead of Brohm, but he said he thought he competed well despite the limited number of snaps he got in practice. The most impressive part of his game was the 2-minute drill he ran at the end of the game, especially considering he got only a handful of those opportunities in practice.

Taking over at Green Bay's 19, Flynn converted one fourth down and three third downs in driving the team 85 yards in 13 plays for a touchdown as time expired.

He calmly completed a 20-yard strike over the middle to tight end Joey Haynos on fourth and 1 at the Packers' 24 and then escaped from the grasp of a defender in the pocket and ran 21 yards for a first down on third and 17 at the Packers' 48.

Then on first and 10 at the Tennessee 31, he completed a 9-yard screen pass to running back Kregg Lumpkin, who failed to get out of bounds. The Packers had no timeouts left and Flynn just barely got the team to the line of scrimmage in time to spike the ball with 2 seconds left.

On the next play, he had five receivers run vertical routes. He bought time with a scramble to the right and then fired a pass into the end zone that Allen caught for a 22-yard touchdown. His attempt to send the game to overtime with a two-point conversion fell just short when receiver Johnny Quinn was able to get just one foot in bounds on a fade route.

"I'm used to that," Flynn said of the 2-minute offense. "At LSU we had a lot of games that we had to win in the fourth quarter. I have a lot of experience playing in big-time stadiums and in big games."

Flynn's other touchdown pass came after safety Tyrone Culver intercepted a pass and returned to the Titans' 12 late in the third quarter. On second down, Flynn threw a hard slant to receiver Brett Swain for a 6-yard touchdown to make it 23-15.

Brohm, meanwhile, looked hesitant at times to unload the football and when he wasn't the victim of horrible pass protection he was not sharp with his throws. He fumbled a snap and saw another ball slip out of his hands.

Brohm's longest drive of the exhibition season was 45 yards and it ended with a missed field goal. Four times he led possession inside opponent territory, but his only score came on a four-play, 2-yard drive that was set up by Jordy Nelson's 56-yard kickoff return against San Francisco. :magnifyglass:
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Sounds like we had some heroics towards the end there.... nice
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Merged the two topics together to keep the conversation rolling in the backup competition.. Great read Walleye..

I feel better overall about the QB depth today than yesterday morning.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
spardo
15 years ago
Kind of concerned that the way the preseason has played out we are kind of in a box with the QB situation. You do not want to cut a second round pick, even though the seventh round selection has outplayed him. I do not think either would make it through waivers to the practice squad. I do not see GB keeping 4 QB's. It kind of looks like both will make the final roster, and having either backing up Aaron Rodgers is not ideal for a team with deep playoff aspirations.

Maybe one will have suffered an injury that we are unaware of that would allow them to be stashed in this manner, while allowing for a veteran to be added.
blank
Tiger
15 years ago
Matty Flynn is the man, I love watching him play, his TD pass reminded me so much of Eli Manning the Superbowl.
blank
Packers_Finland
15 years ago

Matty Flynn is the man, I love watching him play, his TD pass reminded me so much of Eli Manning the Superbowl.

"Tiger" wrote:

Same thing for me. I also found his moves to be very Favreish.
This is a placeholder
mkapp
15 years ago
I watched the game live in Lambeau Field. Brohm sucked and the fans made it known that he is not living up to any expectations. Flynn appears to be a gamer and the crowd was really behind him.
UserPostedImage
Tiger
15 years ago

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Same thing for me. I also found his moves to be very Favreish.

"Tiger" wrote:

dare i say it, Romo-sque also. Thats the legacy of Favre i guess! 😃
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.