bigfog
  • bigfog
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago
Very interesting article about Ahman Green's departure from Green Bay by Andrew Brandt.

Ahmans Rush to Texans is Downsized

Ahman Green has agreed to a reduced contract with the Houston Texans. In the range of options that the Texans had between keeping Ahman at his present rate of pay and releasing him outright, this appeared to be a logical compromise, although not one that the Texans anticipated making with their marquee free agent signing of 2007. I will not soon forget the day Ahman left the Packers and went to Houston, a decision I firmly believed that both he and the Texans would regret.

Ahman had been a wonderful player for us at the Packers. Acquired in a trade in 2000, he turned out to be a productive running back right away, taking over for Dorsey Levens. We went to him in 2001, his restricted free agent year, and extended him with a five-year deal with a 5M bonus. He actually played out that deal a rarity in the NFL despite many protestations by he and his agent about re-working it, especially when Clinton Portis hit the jackpot in Washington after extricating himself from Denver.

Ahman had a very close relationship with Mike Sherman more on that later with the Texans which made it difficult for me to argue against a monster contract for him. Sherman was our head coach and general manager and had a soft spot for Ahman. I personally liked Ahman a lot as well, but always pointed to the graveyard out there for contracts of running backs over the age of 28 or 29 Eddie George, Jamal Anderson, Corey Dillon, etc. that were emotional reactions by clubs to beloved players that came from their hearts and not their heads.

Ultimately, we never extended Ahman and in his final year of the contract he was injured for the majority of 2005 season. We settled on a one-year contract in 2006, using a contract twist involving 45-man active roster bonuses for every game active, protecting ourselves if he became injured again. This was the first instance where we had used these 45-man active roster bonuses as Ahman was coming off a major injury. They have since become a staple of Packer contracts.

Ahman stayed injury-free in 2006 and we negotiated late in the season and into the early 2007 offseason. We would have re-signed him but for a wildcard out there in free agency. Mike Sherman had been terminated as our head coach by new general manager Ted Thompson and landed as offensive coordinator in Houston with, apparently, some influence over personnel. Ahman was also visiting with Denver and Oakland, but we knew the only real suitor that mattered was Houston.

And what a suitor they were. After being wined and dined and taken to a Rockets game, Ahman spent the day with his former coach Mike Sherman and rekindled that relationship. That was all expected. What we did not expect was the aggressive level of contract they were offering, especially 8M in the first year for a 30 year-old running back! We had been at 5M for first-year money but with the Texans going to this level we reluctantly crossed the 7M threshold for the first year, but wanting 2M of it to be in the form of 45-man active roster bonuses. This was one of those offers where I didnt know whether I wanted want him to take it or not, as I had a feeling this was going to be a deal we would be re-working as the Texans are now doing if he took it.

I spent the entire time during my sons 10th birthday party at of course Lambeau field on the phone with Ahmans agent and Ahman trying to tell them that this was bigger than money, that Packer stars like Ahman have a lifetime pass wherever they go, that he would hold all the Packer records, that he would not like Houston, that he shouldnt be fooled by all the recruiting, that Mike Sherman would not be there long, and so on. It was all for naught.

Ahman, although nearly 30, was smitten with the whole free agent recruiting thing private plane, Rockets game, etc. and the agent was smitten with the money. I asked him how many times he thought he might fly in that private plane after that day, but got no reply. We had lost him to Mike Sherman and the Texans.

I was communicating with Ted Thompson throughout the process while he was driving to a college workout. At that time of year, Ted was always on the road so I had to be able to control these free agent situations that came up fast and furiously, often with one of our players sitting in the offices of another team.

The rest did not go well for Ahman. He was injured for a large part of last season; Mike Sherman left after the season to take a head coaching position at Texas A&M, and now he is taking a pay cut from 3.8M to 1.8M. One other thing about this reduction: he can make back 3M if he is on the 45-man active roster bonus for 15 games. These are exactly the kind of bonuses that I tried once again to put in the proposed Packer contract that Houston agreed it would not! Now they are the basis for a salary reduction with an opportunity to make more based on health.

Last year Ahman gained 260 yards for his 8M, roughly $31,000 a yard. When we lost Ahman to Houston, I felt sick from an emotional standpoint (not only due to the fact that I missed my sons 10th birthday party). He was one of the all-time great Packer players and should have retired a Packer. (Weve heard this one throughout the summer, havent we?) However, I knew that this was not a deal we should have made financially.

We struggled for a while last season without Ahman until Ryan Grant came into his own with his stellar play, earning a stunning contract after limited experience. Ahman was missed as a presence in Green Bay, but in the end, it was the golden rule of business in the NFL: some of the best deals are the ones that are not made.

I agree with Brandt, Ahman Green should have retired a Packer. He was one of my favorite players. At least he got the payday he was looking for.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Cheesey
15 years ago
Just another example of where it's bad to let your emotions dictate your business moves. I loved Green, but his payday in Houston was rediculous. I wanted him here, but not at that cost to the Packers. I'm glad our guys didn't let that influence what they did financially.
UserPostedImage
bigfog
  • bigfog
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago
That deal was great for Ahman, but thankfully, cooler heads prevailed in Green Bay. He's still one of my favorite players, and maybe worthy of a Green Bay Hall of Fame spot.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Cheesey
15 years ago

That deal was great for Ahman, but thankfully, cooler heads prevailed in Green Bay. He's still one of my favorite players, and maybe worthy of a Green Bay Hall of Fame spot.

"bigfog" wrote:

Oh...i agree! He has the GB HOF sewn up i'm sure! And i bet he will sign a contract and retire a Green Bay Packer.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
I love the fact Andrew can and will bring some of this stuff out now..( can't wait to hear his take on Brett if he does come clean)

I feel the need to toot my own horn cuz for a LONG time I kept saying that Andrew had a huge hand in dealing with free agents but it seemed like no one believed me
Tiger
15 years ago
if Ahman came back and did one of those "Contract for a day then Retire" things id be pretty happy. Id have no problem wearing his jersey regardless of his unlucky Texans stint.

Ahman Green is a Packer, straight up.
blank
millertime
15 years ago
I'll root for Ahman this season. He was a good guy and I hope he retires as a Packer when his playing days are over.
Greg C.
15 years ago
Oops! I posted this too, but somebody beat me to it. So I'll replace my original post with this one:

I liked Ahman Green a lot, but thought the Texans overpaid for him big time. It's good to have a front office that signs players based on the cold, hard facts instead of sentiment.
blank
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
I'm rooting for a Texans playoff-run. I hope Ahman gets the starting RB spot at some point.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.