wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

Sounds like another change in how to define "elite"... like I said in the start that changing of how each defines that, make it's very hard to debate because most define it differently.

Are you talking about the playoffs? If no, then that's not completely true without adding they get schedule to play each other in the following year... which in the following year they might be a completely different team... like the Panthers and are very different than last year and that's where that logic falls apart.

Also falls apart in a team like the Cowboys who didn't finish 1st in their divsion last year and now people are asking if they're elite or not.

Originally Posted by: beast 

As I said, Define elite any way you so desire. I assure people will have different opinions. And yet they will still debate it.

Playoffs? No I am talking about the regular season. First place teams will face each other. An argument can be made for the possibility of a 15-1 team not playing anyone of quality but that is not the normal scenario. An argument can be made that every quality team from last year, for one reason or another, falls flat one their face the next year but that too is not the norm.

Winning a division or making the playoffs, like the Panthers did doesn't make them elite. One of the reasons record alone should not determine if a team is elite of not is the softer schedule some teams get. It wasn't that long ago that Atlanta and the Bears both made it to the SB because of soft schedules. Both lost. Both had stronger schedules the following year and both disappeared back into the pack. Even though they were in the SB neither team was elite.

SF and Seattle have their issues but that doesn't preclude them from being elite either.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
9 years ago
The Packers have the ability (talent) to be among the elites in this league.. but they lack the consistency to be labeled an elite. It is as simply as that as a team..
If the team got hot near the end.. I think they can play with anyone and make the run to a SB. But week to week.. even within games.. we see a team that is up and down with consistency in several facets of the game. Running & Defense as a whole come to mind. Offensive line play as well.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
9 years ago

The Packers have the ability (talent) to be among the elites in this league.. but they lack the consistency to be labeled an elite. It is as simply as that as a team..
If the team got hot near the end.. I think they can play with anyone and make the run to a SB. But week to week.. even within games.. we see a team that is up and down with consistency in several facets of the game. Running & Defense as a whole come to mind. Offensive line play as well.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I see it a little different Z. They started out inconsistent but have progressed very nicely the last several games. I think the Dline had some issues early and just having a new philosophy on D took some time to come together. With as little experience on the front and how they used Peppers, etc., looking back it makes sense that they would struggle early. The point is they have improved a lot since the first few games.

Huge game Sunday. Going into the bye 6-2 is big. The second half of the season we play all the tough teams at homes and have 3 of the easiest away games you can get in this league.

Don't count this team out of being at the top of the heap in the NFC when the dust clears. I like their chances actually. The West is beating the crap out of each other and the South sucks. So if it comes down to Romo and the Boys or us I take us.

"The train is leaving the station."
beast
9 years ago

I am talking about the regular season. First place teams will face each other.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

1st place teams from the year before face each other in this years regular season, yes that's true, but that doesn't mean 1st place teams from this year (other than when it's set up to face the whole division).

For example currently the only 1st place teams the Packers have on their schedule are the Panthers and Patriots and that's only because we have to face their whole divisions.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

1st place teams from the year before face each other in this years regular season, yes that's true, but that doesn't mean 1st place teams from this year (other than when it's set up to face the whole division).

For example currently the only 1st place teams the Packers have on their schedule are the Panthers and Patriots and that's only because we have to face their whole divisions.

Sarcastic reply- NOOOOOOOO. Really? I guess you taught me something new. I am so amazed.

Actual reply- Yes I know. This year's teams in first place after 7 weeks is not the whole NFL world. Teams who are in first place at the end of one season can actually be in first place the following year too.
To make your point your sample size is way too small.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Since when can an elite team have a loss with less than games played?

I just killed the thread.

Yeah, I did that.

UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Teams who are in first place at the end of one season can actually be in first place the following year too.
To make your point your sample size is way too small.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I never said they couldn't... and the sample size in this case doesn't matter as I'm not looking for the average or normal... just showing that your statement isn't always true.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

I never said they couldn't... and the sample size in this case doesn't matter as I'm not looking for the average or normal... just showing that your statement isn't always true.

Unless you are the Lord Almighty nobody's statement is absolutely correct for every single variable imaginable.

R-E-L-L-A-X!
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
9 years ago
you spelled relax wrong
yooperfan
9 years ago

you spelled relax wrong

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Isn't there a rule against pointing out other peoples misspellings?😆

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (41m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.