Laser Gunns
9 years ago

No

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
steveishere
9 years ago
Not sure how trading Casey Hayward for a 2nd round pick makes this team better. That was a terrible article.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Not sure how trading Casey Hayward for a 2nd round pick makes this team better. That was a terrible article.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Before I even clicked on the link I knew it had to be a Bob McGinn article. He writes more stupid stuff than the next 5 journalists combined.

No Uncle Ted isn't going to trade a CB. Even if it means a #2 draft pick.

Mc Ginn rambles on in his article talking about how deep GB is at CB and then contradicts himself in the next paragraphs as he discusses each player. He then gets lost in a mindless babble about compensation picks for Jennings and EDS which have nothing to do with trading a CB from this team to some unknown team that is just waiting to dump their # 2 pick on the Packers for a player would will have to take more than a few weeks to learn THEIR defensive system

Here's how the Packers' extraordinary collection of cornerbacks stacks up after seven games.

extraordinary: going beyond what is usual, regular, or customary. I guess this means no other team in the NFL has comparable CBs on their roster.

Sam Shields hasn't played quite up to his standards, but he's not going anywhere. The Packers regard Shields, 26, as an ascending player. Trading his recent four-year contract that averages $9.75 million also would blast their salary cap.

First he calls Sam extraordinary then bashes him for not playing up to his standards and having a large contract. I guess Sam is more ordinary than McGinn says he is.

Tramon Williams might be 31 but remarkably hasn't lost any of his abundant speed, quickness or athleticism. On Thursday, position coach Joe Whitt said his performance level was equal to that of 2010, easily his greatest season.

Williams' contract, which averaged $8.25 million, expires in March. Barring injury, I would expect him to be re-signed for $4 million to $5 million per year. He is confident about being able to play four more good years.

First of all position coaches rarely criticize their players in the media. So whatever Whitt tells you Bob doesn't mean he really fells that way. I am not saying Williams isn't doing a fine job but you really need on outside observer's opinion to make it more creditable. Not that I disagree with the assessment simply that you need an impartial source to have any credibility to your point.

Did Williams or his agent tell you he will sign for half of what he is making now even though he playing at his best since 2010? Why would be do that? I am sure he thinks he is going to earn $8 or more. If so here is a real problem with your whole article about GB having so much talent. If the front office doesn't want to pay a 31 year old player that much money they will let him walk just like they did Jennings, Jones etal. Trading one of the younger players mid season now means the group of extraordinary CBs has lost a significant number and is no longer extraordinary and is actually critically short of players. Oops I guess you didn't see that coming.

House, 25, an often-injured tease for much of his first three seasons, is blossoming. His confidence, ability to play the ball and toughness has caught up to his ideal size and speed.

He's good enough to start, and most definitely wants to start. As it stands today, he'll depart in March as an unrestricted free agent with a contract averaging up to $6 million.

Is a person who is often injured extraordinary? Even the greatest players those who have the most potential only become great after they actually play the game and achieve what very few others are able to achieve. Potential does not make one extraordinary. Oh wait we have yet someone else who may not be on the team next year. So if they trade Hayward and don't sign Williams and House they are now down 3 of their primary players. Is that the gamble a good GM is going to make? Won't trading away one of their players take the team out of a strong leverage position and put them in a real bind? Doh I guess it never occurred to you did it?

Hayward, also 25, is the consummate nickel back that Whitt contends will be a starter outside at some point in his career. After losing last season and some of August with hamstring woes, his star has never burned brighter than after the pair of picture-perfect interceptions the past two Sundays. He would become unrestricted in March 2016.

The target of your trade simply because you can't find anyone else who GB can move. If you don't make an argument for Hayward the whole story falls apart doesn't it? If it hasn't already fallen apart. So you are saying at that player who might play outside but almost always plays the inside against slot receivers but has had a few injury issues in the past is worth a # 2 pick simply because he has 2 interceptions? Man I wish Uncle Ted could have you as an opposing GM. You would make Matt Millen look like a rocket scientist.

Hyde, only 23, has played 57% of the defensive snaps as both a safety and dime back. No matter if it's tackling, covering, blitzing or returning, he's resourceful and solid.

I took about 90 seconds and went to 4 different websites include the official Green Bay Packers website. I saw a rather strange and shocking thing. Hyde is actually listed as the starting FS. Doesn't that sort of preclude anyone from lumping him in with the CBs at this time? If Mike moves him from FS to one of the CB positions doesn't that weaken the team at FS? That's kind of weird. Best not mention that. It could jeopardize an otherwise riveting documentary in process. "These are not the droids you are looking for."

Rookie Demetri Goodson, 25, is the converted basketball player and sixth-round draft choice. He's extremely physical, athletic and fast enough. Until Goodson plays, however, the defensive staff won't know if he has overcome his tendency to reach and hold receivers.

Jarrett Bush, 30, remains the No. 1 special-teamer and No. 2 dime back. His contract is up in March as well.

If all else fails to persuade people use a converted basketball player who was almost cut in the preseason and a ST ace as the two players on the team that will make Hayward expendable. Ya got me here Bob. I am speechless and can't think of a single reason why the Packers should not trade Hayward for a # 2 pick. 😆 🙄

Getting the sports writer of the year award sounds a bit like Les Nessman winning the Buckeye Newshawk Award and the coveted Silver Sow Award.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago
Very good and well reasoned WPR.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Yooper I wish we still owned the land outside Gulliver. I would try and track you down for dinner and Packer talk.
UserPostedImage
9 years ago

Casey Hayward covering the slot:

77 snaps (32nd)
0.6 passer rating allowed (1st)
11 snaps per target (1st)
38.5 snaps per allowed catch (1st)
0.29 yards allowed per snap (1st)
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Before I even clicked on the link I knew it had to be a Bob McGinn article. He writes more stupid stuff than the next 5 journalists combined.

No Uncle Ted isn't going to trade a CB. Even if it means a #2 draft pick.

Mc Ginn rambles on in his article talking about how deep GB is at CB and then contradicts himself in the next paragraphs as he discusses each player.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Very very good post [grin1]

McGinn seems to try say things to the extreme at times, making bold statements to get value of taking a hard stances and in a lot of ways reminds me of Skip Bayless... in that Bayless will try to say the most shock value thing he can, if he feels he can halfway support it with "facts" ... and the "facts" are fact they just might have nothing to do with proving him right.

But with Shields and Burnett injured right now... one more DB injury and Jarrett Bush is starting in nickel packages. For a 2nd round pick that could be the next Jordy Nelson or the next Brian Brohm or the next Patrick Lee... or the next Hayward or the next Worthy... seems a bit risky.

Also Williams and House are FAs after this season... might be an opening that needs to be filled and you can sure bet if 🇹🇹 did make this trade and lost Williams in FA, McGinn would be verbally smacking 🇹🇹 for the trade saying the guy might of been answer and instead of standing firm he took a shot in the dark.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Not to mention the WKRP references.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Very very good post [grin1]

McGinn seems to try say things to the extreme at times, making bold statements to get value of taking a hard stances and in a lot of ways reminds me of Skip Bayless... in that Bayless will try to say the most shock value thing he can, if he feels he can halfway support it with "facts" ... and the "facts" are fact they just might have nothing to do with proving him right.

But with Shields and Burnett injured right now... one more DB injury and Jarrett Bush is starting in nickel packages. For a 2nd round pick that could be the next Jordy Nelson or the next Brian Brohm or the next Patrick Lee... or the next Hayward or the next Worthy... seems a bit risky.

Also Williams and House are FAs after this season... might be an opening that needs to be filled and you can sure bet if 🇹🇹 did make this trade and lost Williams in FA, McGinn would be verbally smacking 🇹🇹 for the trade saying the guy might of been answer and instead of standing firm he took a shot in the dark.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah I was thinking of Skippy too. I gave Bob a pass because I already had enough. Glad someone else nailed him for that.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.