porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
In the near 100-year rivalry between Green Bay and Chicago, there hasn’t been an outcome as one-sided as the 55-14 drubbing the Packers put on the Bears Sunday night.

The Packers deserve credit for coming out of their bye re-energized and prepared. However, Sunday night was more about Chicago than the green and gold. Blowouts aren’t new to the rivalry, but the Bears were saying “uncle” midway through the second quarter. They were undisciplined, committing 11 penalties for 163 yards. Their stoic response to Green Bay moving Clay Matthews to inside linebacker was frustrating to watch. Simply put, their sorry excuse of an effort made them unworthy of playing at Lambeau Field.

Football is better when its greatest rivalry means something. The Bears aren’t holding up their end of the bargain, and this could be the revelation the McCaskey family needed to clean house.

Chicago’s performance should also give Packers fans perspective. Fans have a love or hate relationship regarding coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson.

Nowhere does the hate come out more than during free agency, when fans are watching other teams attempt to get better by spending on outside talent. The Bears have been among the most active teams over the last several off-seasons, a fact highlighted by NBC’s telecast of the game. The Packers usually sit still, accepting that their improvements will come from within. The approach tests the patience of many fans, I included, but the Packers have never suffered an embarrassment like the one Chicago did Sunday night with Thompson and McCarthy at the helm. With both of them signing long-term extensions this season, they aren’t likely to anytime soon.

Sure, Green Bay has had its share of poor performances. Last Thanksgiving in Detroit immediately comes to mind, yet the Packers always put forth an effort. The game plan or execution might be off, but the effort is always there.

You can always count on them to compete on Sundays whether they miss the playoffs, bow out early, or win the Super Bowl.

Bears fans don’t have the luxury of feeling the same way.

Turning Point

On the first play of the second quarter, Rodgers hit receiver Jordy Nelson for a 73-yard touchdown pass. Chicago’s secondary was completely out-of-sync on the play. Nelson ran cleanly by cornerback Tim Jennings, who was playing cover two. The other corner was in man. Jennings looks at fault, but the Bears did check their coverage prior to the snap. Jennings appeared to have gotten the call, while the safeties did not. Blame them for missing the call.

Stud of the Game

Despite not playing a vast majority of the second half, Rodgers finished the game with 6 touchdowns passes and 315 passing yards. Most quarterbacks, notably Denver’s Peyton Manning, would stay in the game until midway through the fourth quarter and attempt to inflate their stats. Rodgers wisely bowed out midway through the third.

Play of the Game

Facing third-and-10 with 19 seconds remaining in the first half, Rodgers lofted a throw to the left side of the end zone, where receiver Randall Cobb made a spectacular one-handed grab. With that pass, Rodgers became just the second player in NFL history (Oakland’s Daryl Lamonica in 1969) to throw for six scores in the first half. The touchdown was also Cobb’s 10th of the season.

Looking Ahead

The Packers need to keep pace with Detroit in the NFC North, but if the Lions were to win the division, then Green Bay needs to qualify as a wild card. A win over Philadelphia, who is also in the thick of the playoff chase, is crucial if Green Bay is to qualify for the postseason.

The Eagles don’t have a good secondary, so you can expect the Packers to attack them through the air, and have success doing so. Protection could be an issue, as Philadelphia’s front is sneaky athletic. They’ll give Rodgers a plethora of different looks.

The defense faces a challenge matching up with Philadelphia’s high-octane offense. There might be enough pieces in the secondary to slow down the pass, but Philadelphia’s dynamic running game will give the front seven problems.

Expect Matthews to continue to play inside during running situations. He played well against the Bears, but Chicago was never in position to establish the run, so it’s still up in the air as to whether he has the discipline to read coverage and the athleticism to play in space.

Please visit Row12.com  for weekly articles done by myself on college and fantasy football. We also have a great staff of writers that covers every major sport.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Turning Point was the coin toss. The Bears only success came at that point and it was downhill from there! Bahwhwhahaha.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
As usual I enjoy your perspective.

Turning point was Mike having confidence in his team to go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 with 6 + min to go in the first quarter. That set the tone for the rest of the game. At that point no one knew the Bears were going to fold their tents and walk away. At that point it was still possible for the Bears to play like they did in the first half of their first meeting this year.

As for the comments about free agents. You are selling Uncle Ted short. It is assumed by many that if he partakes in the FA market he will have the same kind of results that other teams do. I contend that he is smarter than the average GM. If he pushed for more FAs he would be able to select ones who actually make solid contributions to the team.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.