Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Cornerback Charles Woodson and safety Nick Collins, the Packers' two Pro Bowl starters, have received second-team All-Pro recognition from The Associated Press.

This marks the first time since 1967 that two Packers from the secondary have been recognized on the AP All-Pro team. That year, safety Willie Wood was a first-team pick and cornerback Herb Adderley was a second-teamer.

The AP voting for All-Pro was released on Friday. Woodson finished third at cornerback behind first-team selections Nnamdi Asomugha of Oakland and Cortland Finnegan of Tennessee, while Collins finished tied for fourth at safety behind first-teamers Ed Reed of Baltimore and Troy Polamalu of Pittsburgh and fellow second-teamer Adrian Wilson of Arizona. Philadelphia's Quintin Mikell tied with Collins for the other second-team spot.

Woodson and Collins finished tied for the team and NFC lead with seven interceptions apiece in 2008. That total was second only to Reed's nine in the league. The duo combined for five touchdowns on interception returns. Collins posted a league-high three, while Woodson had a career-best two.

The Associated Press 2008 NFL All-Pro teams:

FIRST TEAM
[ul]Offense
QB: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis
RB: Adrian Peterson, Minnesota; Michael Turner, Atlanta
FB: Le'Ron McClain, Baltimore
TE: Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City
WR: Andre Johnson, Houston; Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona
T: Jordan Gross, Carolina; Michael Roos, Tennessee
G: Steve Hutchinson, Minnesota; Chris Snee, N.Y. Giants
C: Kevin Mawae, Tennessee
K: Stephen Gostkowski, New England
KR: Leon Washington, N.Y. Jets

Defense
E: Justin Tuck, N.Y. Giants; Jared Allen, Minnesota
T: Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee; Kevin Williams, Minnesota
OLB: DeMarcus Ware, Dallas; James Harrison, Pittsburgh
ILB: Ray Lewis, Baltimore; Jon Beason, Carolina
CB: Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland; Cortland Finnegan, Tennessee
S: Ed Reed, Baltimore; Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh
P: Shane Lechler, Oakland[/ul]

SECOND TEAM
[ul]Offense
QB: Drew Brees, New Orleans
RB: DeAngelo Williams, Carolina; Clinton Portis, Washington
FB: Madison Hedgecock, N.Y. Giants
TE: Jason Witten, Dallas
WR: Steve Smith, Carolina; Wes Welker, New England
T: Ryan Clady, Denver; (tie) David Stewart, Tennessee; Walter Jones, Seattle; Jason Peters, Buffalo; David Diehl, N.Y. Giants; Joe Thomas, Cleveland
G: Kris Dielman, San Diego; Alan Faneca, N.Y. Jets
C: Shaun O'Hara, N.Y. Giants
K: John Carney, N.Y. Giants
KR: Clifton Smith, Tampa Bay

Defense
E: Julius Peppers, Carolina; John Abraham, Atlanta
T: Kris Jenkins, N.Y. Jets; Haloti Ngata, Baltimore
OLB: Joey Porter, Miami; Terrell Suggs, Baltimore
ILB: Patrick Willis, San Francisco; James Farrior, Pittsburgh
CB: Charles Woodson, Green Bay; Antoine Winfield, Minnesota
S: Adrian Wilson, Arizona; (tie) Quintin Mikell, Philadelphia; Nick Collins, Green Bay
P: Donnie Jones, St. Louis[/ul]

UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago
Woodson should be 1st team.
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Seems to be ok. They played pretty good.

Nick is pretty much where I thought he would be at. Bit weird that Dawkins didn't get in though, imo.

Charles, however, deserved to be on the first team, if I look at the personnel. Finnegan is a great upcomming corner, he really had a breal-out year, but overall Woodson played better imo. His coverage skills are just crazy.

One play he made keeps getting back in my head whenever he's mentioned. A Receiver was running an in-route and Woodson was trailing him by a body length or so. When the ball got thrown, he jumped in front of him and batted the ball down. Bit unrelated, but great moment.
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Never should have moved Woody to Safety. Worst move made during the season.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
bozz_2006
15 years ago
i think the fairness meter is on the level. just bump woodson up to 1st team, and bump collins off the team, and we're all set. don't get me wrong, i like collins (probably more than most of you, since for the previous couple seasons, i've been defending him while most have been calling for him to get benched). but collins, all-pro? not this season.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

Never should have moved Woody to Safety. Worst move made during the season.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Other than putting Hawk at middle linebacker instead of putting in Bishop.
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

Charles, however, deserved to be on the first team, if I look at the personnel. Finnegan is a great upcomming corner, he really had a breal-out year, but overall Woodson played better imo. His coverage skills are just crazy.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Statements like this always leave me bewildered. I get that you (and the rest of us) are Packer fans, so we'd like to argue in favor of Chuck, but how could you possibly know whether or not he actually had a better season than Courtland Finnegan or any other player for that matter?

Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you watched every single play of the Packers' season, either on television or in person. Even given that assumption, there's no way you could have watched Chuck's every play - especially if the majority of those games were viewed on TV.

Now let's also make a big assumption and say you watched six Titans games. Even in those six games, you couldn't have possibly kept your eye on Finnegan every single play.

Given those assumptions - which are a stretch to begin with - you STILL wouldn't be qualified to give a proper opinion on which CB had the better year.

I'm not saying Finnegan is more deserving than Chuck or vice-versa. Clearly I don't think I could have any idea on the matter. But I would love it if you could give me a reasonable, fact based, objective argument on why you think Charles Woodson should've been a 1st team All-Pro rather than Courtland Finnegan.

I'll wait here patiently for your reply.
blank
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Ok, you're right. I have watched every Packers game on a streams and just 4 Tennessee games on a stream plus some highlights.

Nothing to amazing.

However, Woodson, everytime you did see him, seemed to be playing great coverage. I have hardly seen him get burned, all the TD passes seemed to be going to Blackmon, Tramon or Harris. They didn't even dare to throw to him after a while.

Finnegan, on the other hand, I have seen getting burned. I recall him giving up TD because of his aggresiveness, overplaying on the play. He seems to go for the ball before covering in some instances.

I'm not saying that Charles is alot better or so, but from what I've seen (I'm not an expert), Woodson played better.

The stats also seem to favor Woodson. More Ints, More Int TDs, More Sacks, Equal amount of passes defended (Or defensed?) and less tackles, most likely because they didn't throw to him that often. All of that, while having one of the worst O-lines in the league, while Tennessee has a pretty dominating one...

Oh, and most likely I'm somewhat biased, indeed.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (11h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (11h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (12h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.