TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

The NFLs job is not to punish for our legal system, which is what they have done now in regards to Peterson and Rice.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I agree to an extent on this, but I do think this is still a "protection of the brand" issue. The Peterson and Rice cases are terrible for the image of the league. Sure there have actually been worse acts committed by players, but the images of Rice striking a woman, and the injuries and details that have emerged in the Peterson case has hurt the league along with the media attention of both cases is a huge PR nightmare. Goodell was put in a pretty bad situation with the media circus and unfortunately his ruling seems inconsistent with other cases.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I agree to an extent on this, but I do think this is still a "protection of the brand" issue. The Peterson and Rice cases are terrible for the image of the league. Sure there have actually been worse acts committed by players, but the images of Rice striking a woman, and the injuries and details that have emerged in the Peterson case has hurt the league along with the media attention of both cases is a huge PR nightmare. Goodell was put in a pretty bad situation with the media circus and unfortunately his ruling seems inconsistent with other cases.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

The problem is they can't create a consistent policy when the legal matters have such variables. Today, Erik Walden would have gotten the same punishment as Peterson even though their incidents have nothing in common. Which is why the policy should be. Let legal matters be dealt with by the legal system. And once the legal system is finished, let the teams decided if they want to retain or employ the players based on their own business decision.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Employment, being a part of the NFL, these are private associations and private contracts. They should be governed by the rules of voluntary associations. If you don't want to associate with people under certain conditions, you shouldn't have to. If the NFL wants to cut ties with Peterson, temporarily or permanently, it should be allowed to. Same with the Vikings.

IMO the only question is what the collective bargaining agreement says. And not having seen it, nor practiced in this area of contract law, I wouldn't presume to know what it says about Goodell's/the NFL's/the Vikings's power to terminate or restrict the terms of future association.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
steveishere
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

The thing that bugs me the most though is with Rice it was a PR hit but it was only a "nightmare" because of the NFLs own actions. They caused the nightmare themselves but to deal with it they just heaped extra punishement on guys like Rice and Peterson. I think all players should be dealt with fairly and not have to be worried about getting extra punished if Roger Goodell has a stick up his ass that certain day or not. Ray Rice isn't the reason Goodell had to deal with all of that extra shit it was his own fault. If he was just decisive and consistent from the get go I would be fine with his punishments but he's proving that he's just going to dish out justice on a whim and he's proving incompetent at being able to deal with this stuff. They need a better system that is consistent and fair.
hardrocker950
9 years ago

Employment, being a part of the NFL, these are private associations and private contracts. They should be governed by the rules of voluntary associations. If you don't want to associate with people under certain conditions, you shouldn't have to. If the NFL wants to cut ties with Peterson, temporarily or permanently, it should be allowed to. Same with the Vikings.

IMO the only question is what the collective bargaining agreement says. And not having seen it, nor practiced in this area of contract law, I wouldn't presume to know what it says about Goodell's/the NFL's/the Vikings's power to terminate or restrict the terms of future association.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I agree with this, but few others see it that way. My employer has a policy on criminal activity. If I were to get caught shoplifting or get picked up for DUI, I could get suspended without pay or get fired. If many of us blue collar employees are held to this standard, why should it be different just because you play football?

There are always terms in contracts, but of course none of us know specifically what AP's terms are. It seems that most contracts have a "way out" in such situations like this. Either way - I am glad I am not in his shoes right now.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

The thing that bugs me the most though is with Rice it was a PR hit but it was only a "nightmare" because of the NFLs own actions. They caused the nightmare themselves but to deal with it they just heaped extra punishement on guys like Rice and Peterson. I think all players should be dealt with fairly and not have to be worried about getting extra punished if Roger Goodell has a stick up his ass that certain day or not. Ray Rice isn't the reason Goodell had to deal with all of that extra shit it was his own fault. If he was just decisive and consistent from the get go I would be fine with his punishments but he's proving that he's just going to dish out justice on a whim and he's proving incompetent at being able to deal with this stuff. They need a better system that is consistent and fair.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

The original Rice decision was consistent with past cases. It was reacting to the public outcry that screwed everything up.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DoddPower
9 years ago

The original Rice decision was consistent with past cases. It was reacting to the public outcry that screwed everything up.

I thought the original punishment should have been more like six games?
Yerko
9 years ago
I wish the NFL had a more stable system from the beginning of all of this because it is truly needed in the league today with everything that happens. The inconsistencies have made everything that much worse.

I do believe players like Rice, Peterson, Gordon and Aldon Smith deserve suspensions and I think the NFL has every right to make those decisions. The matter of how they are being dished out is just making the matters worse.

I also believe replacing Goodell would have been a good thing for the NFL as well. This clown dropped the ball big time, multiple times.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

The problem is they can't create a consistent policy when the legal matters have such variables. Today, Erik Walden would have gotten the same punishment as Peterson even though their incidents have nothing in common. Which is why the policy should be. Let legal matters be dealt with by the legal system. And once the legal system is finished, let the teams decided if they want to retain or employ the players based on their own business decision.

Part of the problem with tying it into the legal system is that the legal system takes so long to run its course. Do you suspend a guy as soon as he is arrested for a DUI or an alleged assault or do you wait until he goes to court or until he cops a plea or whatever happens to complete the legal part of it. The vast majority of things we are talking about will not involve any jail time unless its a repeat offense so once the court date is done, the trial over or the plea deal done the legal part can be considered over. If you suspend him right away what if it turns out he is innocent. If you wait the guy may play a whole season before the legal system clears him or convicts him. Take Peterson for example. Should he have been allowed to play until he took his plea deal and then the suspension kicks in. Some people say yes others say no.

I think they are trying to create a consistent policy the problem is I think they pussyfooted around for so long then the Rice thing blew up in their face and the over-reacted with a minimum of 6 games for any infraction. They needed to sit down and make a list of potential infractions and assign values to them along with mitigating circumstances and then place them in the appropriate length of suspension category. 2 or 3 games for lesser offenses, 6 or 8 games for more serious ones with the potential for these to be longer if circumstances dictate.

It's 100% a "protection of the brand" issue. The NFL is not in the business to punish a player for the crimes he commits. They have their suspensions in place to show the public that they will deal with rif raf in their own way outside of the law and they have that right. As other have said, they have conduct policies where they work and football players should too.

The biggest problem is that short of murder or clear cut violence people's opinions vary widely on what they think should be an infraction. Some people think a drug bust is no big deal. Some people think hitting your kid with a stick is acceptable form of punishment and does not warrant a suspension. The best way to get around that is to come up with a policy that is not unreasonable and be consistent in its application. Set it to start at some date in the future and disregard anything that has happened in the past. Finally, there needs to be a committee (normally I would hate saying something like that) to decide all this. It can't be up to one guy. It won't make everyone happy but if its consistent most people will accept it.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post

Part of the problem facing any future rules is trying to make them consistent with past cases because we all know past cases were anything but consistent. They need to forget about past cases and deal with the future. Its like Lynn swan in the HOF. He has 5400 yards in his career so does that mean everyone with more than that deserves to be in the HOF. You can't always decide the future based on the past. Sometimes you just have to move on and say sorry guys whats done is done but we are doing it this way from now on. Some people won't like it but that's tough.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (5h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (21h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (21h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (21h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (22h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.