wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

Don't see how the Packers don't re-sign him.

Draft and develop

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

It seems that Uncle Ted will give players a second contract if they and their agents are being reasonable but once the second is over he is not as eager to offer a third one.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Yeah, but he gets a few lashes in the dojo for using that word.

Actually, I think Cobb has some real bargaining power. Adams isn't there yet, and we still don't have the elite athletic tight end. The guys we have at tight end are adequate, but not good enough to think they can steal some of Cobb's production to be arrogant enough to let him walk. Our young receivers provide a large drop-off in ability that Cobb has shown.

How much money do we have to use before the end of the year?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Richard Rodgers is light years ahead of where Finley was as a rookie. And as for Adams, I'd say he's about where Jennings and Jones were as rookies, if not better. Those are two positions that take a year to develop.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago

I know you're not (necessarily) saying this, but he's in no way as valuable to this team as Jordy. He's a hell of a #2, but when the clock is running down and you need a first down or a TD against top-end coverage, is there anybody in the league you'd take over Rodgers to Nelson? Cobb's important to the Packers but not irreplaceable. I don't see anybody on the Packers roster that could replace Nelson anytime soon. Ted's shown year after year when he releases our star WRs that the rookies he's brought in are maturing into cheap, effective replacements. Give Adams a year or two and he could provide a very similar skillset to Cobb.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

You are right, I am not saying I think Cobb is as valuable to the team as Nelson, I'm saying If I am Cobb I think that and I would understand it. Given the expected cap increase over the next few seasons I would think some team would throw him Jordy like numbers if for no other reason than his age. Then there is the fact that Jordy did seem to sign a very team friendly deal. Even though he may not be "worth" it I think he is worth that.

I know a lot of people think we can just plug and play any old receiver into this system and get away with it but I think there is a lot to be said for continuity. Give Adams a year or two and he may be able to provide a very similar skillset to Cobb but what are you going to do in the meantime? On top of that you will have to replace Adams. Another thing that Cobb has to consider is that if he signs a 4 year deal he is young enough that if his production stays high, and if he stays with the Packers there is no reason to think it won't, he will be able to cash in again in 4 more years. He will still be younger than Nelson was when he signed his latest contract (At least I think he will be) Sign a Nelsonesque deal now and another one in 4 years. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I'm sure if the Packers decide move on from Cobb Adams will step up and fill in admirably and they will draft a few more receivers to take his spot but I'd just like to go into a season knowing that we are truly set at WR and not just thinking we are because we have a crapload of guys with potential.
macbob
9 years ago

One thing of which we can all be certain is that Ted will have affixed a value to Cobb, from which he will not acquiesce.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Agreed. Ted's value is not just for the player, though, he seems to have a baseline/max value for each position and he's more willing to put out bigger bucks for a 'skilled' position (QB, etc) than for some of the other positions.

But once you reach the limit of what he thinks that position is worth, forget it.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

If you have one of the top QBs in the NFL, you stay with one of the best...

Jennings and Jones are still trying to break in new QBs.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

You are right, I am not saying I think Cobb is as valuable to the team as Nelson, I'm saying If I am Cobb I think that and I would understand it. Given the expected cap increase over the next few seasons I would think some team would throw him Jordy like numbers if for no other reason than his age. Then there is the fact that Jordy did seem to sign a very team friendly deal. Even though he may not be "worth" it I think he is worth that.

I know a lot of people think we can just plug and play any old receiver into this system and get away with it but I think there is a lot to be said for continuity. Give Adams a year or two and he may be able to provide a very similar skillset to Cobb but what are you going to do in the meantime? On top of that you will have to replace Adams. Another thing that Cobb has to consider is that if he signs a 4 year deal he is young enough that if his production stays high, and if he stays with the Packers there is no reason to think it won't, he will be able to cash in again in 4 more years. He will still be younger than Nelson was when he signed his latest contract (At least I think he will be) Sign a Nelsonesque deal now and another one in 4 years. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I'm sure if the Packers decide move on from Cobb Adams will step up and fill in admirably and they will draft a few more receivers to take his spot but I'd just like to go into a season knowing that we are truly set at WR and not just thinking we are because we have a crapload of guys with potential.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

This is a great point. Cobb is much younger than Nelson.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
RaiderPride
9 years ago

One thing of which we can all be certain is that Ted will have affixed a value to Cobb, from which he will not acquiesce.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I think you attended to type. "Of which he will acquiesce."

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
RaiderPride
9 years ago

I suppose this is as good of a place as any to mention that more than likely Cobb will not be throwing the ball.

When he was drafted there were a few members here who thought for sure they would wildcat with him and let him pull up from the run to throw the ball. One pass his rookie season. that's it. Even when Rodgers was injured last year they didn't have Cobb throw the ball.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

As always WPR, A brilliant observation. Yes indeed.. I remember the Draft aftermath conversation.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
porky88
9 years ago
I think the Packers will franchise him if they have to. Plus, the franchise tag gives them time to workout a long-term contract. That's what New Orleans did with Jimmy Graham this off-season.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.