wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen such kindness at any sporting event

My son Alex and I were invited to go to the Packers/Bears game by my daughter's longtime Green Bay fan boyfriend, Jason. Neither my son nor I have ever been in Green Bay, so we looked forward to it with some apprehension as we know how Green Bay fans are treated here in Chicago.

Three blocks from the stadium I twisted my back and had trouble walking. Luckily Alex and Jason are two big guys, each grabbing one of my arms and helping me the rest of the way. Upon entering the stadium an employee saw I was having trouble and hurried over to me with a much welcome wheelchair. He pushed me onto an elevator in my Bears jersey and hat.

PackersNews  wrote:

I have been wanting to go to Soldier Field for a game. Over the years many people have told me not to wear a Packers jersey as Bears fans will be rude at best
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
9 years ago
First, glad to hear the bears fan in that story was treated kindly. That's how it should be.

Second, I've been to two Packers Bears games at soldier and never had issues. Second time around I spent a good chunk of the game shooting the shit with th Bears fan next to me, laughing it up and having a good time. I've heard the horror stories, but vast majority of the fans there are perfectly decent people.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nyrpack
9 years ago
believe me im here in ny and its a truly different ballgame here !!

pretty sad at times !!
jimmy b.
macbob
9 years ago
I haven't attended a ball game at Soldier Field, so I can't comment on game day in Chicago.

But I can say that all of the Bears fans I've worked with over the years are people I wouldn't hesitate to invite over to watch the game.

I suspect game day in Chicago is the same as anywhere else--mostly decent fans with a few a**holes thrown in who can give the rest of the fans a bad reputation.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

First, glad to hear the bears fan in that story was treated kindly. That's how it should be.

Second, I've been to two Packers Bears games at soldier and never had issues. Second time around I spent a good chunk of the game shooting the shit with th Bears fan next to me, laughing it up and having a good time. I've heard the horror stories, but vast majority of the fans there are perfectly decent people.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I haven't attended a ball game at Soldier Field, so I can't comment on game day in Chicago.

But I can say that all of the Bears fans I've worked with over the years are people I wouldn't hesitate to invite over to watch the game.

I suspect game day in Chicago is the same as anywhere else--mostly decent fans with a few a**holes thrown in who can give the rest of the fans a bad reputation.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

I don't mean to imply all Bears fans are @ssholes. But there are enough of them. My son lives in Chicago and he has seen more than his share of them crawling out of the woodwork. A couple of weeks ago we were discussing that there are also lousy Packer fans too. I realize that.

When I was talking with one of my friends that had told me not to wear a Packer jersey to Soldier Field I told him I wear Cardinals jerseys to Wrigley without any problems. He said the mind set is different when they are Bears fans. I said that they are the same people and he said probably so but they act different at Soldier Field.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago
My guess is the vast majority of fans at any venue are decent people (well maybe not in Oakland) but its the A-holes that get the attention. It also kind of depends on who is telling the story.

I recall a Packer viking game I went to with my brother over in the metrodome a long time ago. The Packers received the opening kick and proceeded to drive the length of the field for a 7 minute drive and a TD. One of the vikings fans in front of us took off his sweatshirt and as he was pulling it over his head I joked "yeah, after a drive like that I'd hide my head too if I were a viking fan" They turned around and good naturedly said "we'll see" Well, we did see. I'm not sure if the Packers gained as many yards the rest of the game as they did on that drive. Every time the vikings did something good, which was quite often, the fans would turn around and say something smart but in my opinion in fun "Whose turn is it to hide their head now" and stuff like that. All the way home my brother couldn't stop bitching about the a-hole vikings fans in front of us. I'm not sure if he recalled that I started the whole thing or not but he never shied away from telling people what jerks the vikings fans were. I saw it in a totally different light. Besides the one fan that flipped us off as we pulled out of the parking lot I thought it was all in good fun. My brother thought they were pricks.

I'm sure that Green Bay has its share of pricks as well but in the few games I have been to, most recently Favres last game there as a viking there, I only saw two instance where any fans were jerks (they both happened to be vikings fans) Once as we were walking around the stadium bunch of vikings fans made some crude comment obviously intended as a serious insult as we walked by and we could hear them yelling something similar to any Packers fans walking by. Everyone just ignored them. The second time one fan after the game actually took a swing at my cousin and called him a fag because he was wearing a pair of green and gold striped coveralls. The rest of the time I saw a great deal of friendly camaraderie between fans of both teams.

wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago
I agree with our assessment sschind. As a Gold package ticket older I go to a game or two a year. There are almost always a few fans for the opposition. Every once in a while the seats right in front of us have the visiting fans. I love it when it is a dad and his young son. I try to be careful for what I say and how I say it but I like to tease the young guys a little bit if the game is going GB's way. But not too much as to ruin his experience.

I did have a running dialogue with a Bears fan on the game in GB on Christmas night in 2011. Well not just me. Everyone in the area had a good time kidding him. Even he knew how lousy the Bears were. He would jump up and shout "WE GOT A FIRST DOWN" every once in a while. The banter was more interesting than the game which we all knew was decided before kickoff. McCown was the QB for the Bears and had a QB rating of 78 while Aaron was 142. GB seemed to be coasting the whole game.
UserPostedImage
packman82
9 years ago
I went to Bears/Packers in 2002 at U of I and a Bears fan (around 40 years old) grabbed me by my collar and wanted to hit me for cheering too loudly. The sad thing is I was 5'8 110 lbs and 16 years old. I'd never go to soldiers field wearing packers gear unless I had 5 other Packer fans with me.
blank
dhazer
9 years ago
I am so proud of my fellow cheeseheads. I tell everyone out here in the Burgh that the Packer fans are the best because we enjoy football. We could care if you are for the opposing team, you will still get invited to have a beer or brat. Here is another example

Drove out to Green Bay for last weekends Eagles/Packers game and besides the ass whipping the Birds had handed to them it was an absolutely incredible experience.
We drove up Rt 43 and as soon as we saw Lambeau we immediately got fired up. We bypassed the hotel and went straight to the stadium. We exited of our vehicle in full Eagle gear and proceeded to enter the hallowed halls. What happened next was beyond anything I could have imagined...
We were welcomed. Greeted with "Hellos", "Are you from Philly? Hey have a great time", "Hey, good luck tomorrow and enjoy yourselves." We were all stunned. Where were all the horrible names we were to be called? Not one vulgar word was thrown our way. Not one food item tossed at our heads. NOTHING! It was like being in a bizzaro football world.

Here is the rest of the letter

Eagles fan letter 

Don't call me for spamming I actually saw this on my facebook.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Dulak
9 years ago

I am so proud of my fellow cheeseheads. I tell everyone out here in the Burgh that the Packer fans are the best because we enjoy football. We could care if you are for the opposing team, you will still get invited to have a beer or brat. Here is another example

Here is the rest of the letter

Eagles fan letter 

Don't call me for spamming I actually saw this on my facebook.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

ya I remember seeing eagles fans pelting opposing fans with snowballs at a game ... (news)

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.