DoddPower
9 years ago

And do you honestly think the are not coaching how to properly tackle or communicate? You think McCarthy doesn't teach proper pad level? Even though there are constant pad level issues through every season.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Just because they are "coaching" something or going through the motions does not mean they are doing it well. Teaching is an art. I have a good bit of experience teaching and it's very difficult. I could be in front of a class reviewing geometry all I want, but if I'm not connecting with the students in a meaningful way, I'm not being effective. Dom Capers and company coach all aspects of defense, I'm sure. But there are signs that he has not been doing it as good as he could or should have.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Just because they are "coaching" something or going through the motions does not mean they are doing it well. Teaching is an art. I have a good bit of experience teaching and it's very difficult. I could be in front of a class reviewing geometry all I want, but if I'm not connecting with the students in a meaningful way, I'm not being effective. Dom Capers and company coach all aspects of defense, I'm sure. But there are signs that he has not been doing it as good as he could or should have.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

The same signs McCarthy hasn't been doing a good job either.

This is not teaching geometry, and this is not coaching some high school team. These are grown men who have been playing the game for most of their lives. They know how to properly tackle, they know how to have the proper pad level and the proper technique. When they stray or get lazy on technique, the coaches point it out and help them correct. Seldom does the same player, week after week make the same mistakes, and if they do, they don't stay on the team long. That is what makes good coaching, and that is what we have both offensively and defensively.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

The same signs McCarthy hasn't been doing a good job either.

This is not teaching geometry, and this is not coaching some high school team. These are grown men who have been playing the game for most of their lives. They know how to properly tackle, they know how to have the proper pad level and the proper technique. When they stray or get lazy on technique, the coaches point it out and help them correct. Seldom does the same player, week after week make the same mistakes, and if they do, they don't stay on the team long. That is what makes good coaching, and that is what we have both offensively and defensively.

I will have to disagree here.

These athletes have excelled at whatever they have done their whole life. They didn't need to know "proper techniques" in HS when they were so much better than the other guys on the field. If they took the wrong angle, they simply run the other player down anyway. If they had poor pad level they could still make the tackle because they were stronger. If they went for the big splash tackle by hitting the guy as hard as they could without wrapping up, the offensive player went down. College saw more of the same even in the power conferences. They went up against enough "average" players week end and week out to not have to commit to the best techniques on a consistent basis.

Just look at the OL. How many draft picks have to work on improving their footwork after getting to the pros? How many OL and DL players have to work on pad level? It was never important until they got the the NFL were every single player is an outstanding athlete. Where everyone is strong and "fast" It usual takes them years to learn the proper techniques because the players have never felt the need to work hard at developing those skills until the NFL.

That is what makes someone like Kuhn so appealing to the average fan. He works his butt off. He is not the most gifted player but he has worked at improving all the little nuances that a player needs. If we sat in the training room with the coaches Kuhn would probably grade out very high every single week.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I will have to disagree here.

These athletes have excelled at whatever they have done their whole life. They didn't need to know "proper techniques" in HS when they were so much better than the other guys on the field. If they took the wrong angle, they simply run the other player down anyway. If they had poor pad level they could still make the tackle because they were stronger. If they went for the big splash tackle by hitting the guy as hard as they could without wrapping up, the offensive player went down. College saw more of the same even in the power conferences. They went up against enough "average" players week end and week out to not have to commit to the best techniques on a consistent basis.

Just look at the OL. How many draft picks have to work on improving their footwork after getting to the pros? How many OL and DL players have to work on pad level? It was never important until they got the the NFL were every single player is an outstanding athlete. Where everyone is strong and "fast" It usual takes them years to learn the proper techniques because the players have never felt the need to work hard at developing those skills until the NFL.

That is what makes someone like Kuhn so appealing to the average fan. He works his butt off. He is not the most gifted player but he has worked at improving all the little nuances that a player needs. If we sat in the training room with the coaches Kuhn would probably grade out very high every single week.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I started sports when I was young. I started Wrestling when I was in Kindergarten. Every year as I became more advanced in the sport, less time was spent on basic technique and fundamentals, and more on using those engrained skills and tactics and strategy. Where even today, some 30 years later, those basic fundamentals are natural.

I was small in high school, so I never was a football star. But the starters still had to have good technique in order to beat me because I had great leverage and technique from my wrestling background. If they didn't use proper technique, I would beat them. that is what it is like for these guys through college. They may be more physically talented, but the difference is not that great. They are facing other players every day that are playing in college for a reason. Those on 2nd string, will beat a starter if the starter doesn't use good technique.

And especially today in the NFL, thanks to the collective bargaining agreement where padded practices are so more limited, and number of players on the team is so limited they cannot drill like we did growing up in High School. Coaching to them is reminding them of the basic techniques when they get sloppy.

I watched Tramon and AJ and Clay with good technique. They are coached by the exact same guys as the players who had mental lapses on their technique.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I started sports when I was young. I started Wrestling when I was in Kindergarten. Every year as I became more advanced in the sport, less time was spent on basic technique and fundamentals, and more on using those engrained skills and tactics and strategy. Where even today, some 30 years later, those basic fundamentals are natural.

I was small in high school, so I never was a football star. But the starters still had to have good technique in order to beat me because I had great leverage and technique from my wrestling background. If they didn't use proper technique, I would beat them. that is what it is like for these guys through college. They may be more physically talented, but the difference is not that great. They are facing other players every day that are playing in college for a reason. Those on 2nd string, will beat a starter if the starter doesn't use good technique.

And especially today in the NFL, thanks to the collective bargaining agreement where padded practices are so more limited, and number of players on the team is so limited they cannot drill like we did growing up in High School. Coaching to them is reminding them of the basic techniques when they get sloppy.

I watched Tramon and AJ and Clay with good technique. They are coached by the exact same guys as the players who had mental lapses on their technique.

If you want to think that the players who make it to the NFL or any other professional sport is only a little more talented than the rest of the high school and even college players they face go ahead.

In addition I was not implying that no technique or fundamentals were ever stressed.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago

If you want to think that the players who make it to the NFL or any other professional sport is only a little more talented than the rest of the high school and even college players they face go ahead.

In addition I was not implying that no technique or fundamentals were ever stressed.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I disagree with the basic premise, as well. Coaching fundamentals is critical at every level. In fact, it's most important at the professional level, imo. That's why we hear coaches talking about it so often. The right coach can absolutely impact every facet of a team, from energy, tackling, technique, etc.
DoddPower
9 years ago

Teaching is teaching. Coaching is teaching. Even if it's minute details or reminders. It's still teaching. Critiquing what a player does good, bad, right, or wrong. The same principles apply. Coaches pointing things out to a player to correct them is teaching. In order to be successful at the NFL level, most players have to do everything almost perfectly. Most NFL players know how to play football. Absolutely. But they do not necessarily know how to or have enough discipline to do everything as close to perfect as possible in every situation, against every player, when completely fatigued, injured, and in a hostile crowd. The same basic principles of teaching and coaching at any level apply, it's just much more magnified and at a different level. It's all relative.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Teaching is teaching. Coaching is teaching. Even if it's minute details or reminders. It's still teaching. Critiquing what a player does good, bad, right, or wrong. The same principles apply. Coaches pointing things out to a player to correct them is teaching. In order to be successful at the NFL level, most players have to do everything almost perfectly. Most NFL players know how to play football. Absolutely. But they do not necessarily know how to or have enough discipline to do everything as close to perfect as possible in every situation, against every player, when completely fatigued, injured, and in a hostile crowd. The same basic principles of teaching and coaching at any level apply, it's just much more magnified and at a different level. It's all relative.

There is a difference between teaching somebody something they don't know. And reminding them of what they do know. At the pro level, a coach is not going to teach a player how to tackle, or how to block. They watch for the lapses in form or concentration and correct them, and remind them to use the fundamentals they already know.

It is kind of idiotic to think that coaches at this level, are unable to coach "Teach". Like the players, they got to the level they are at for reasons, they know what they are doing, and are good at it.

The same players that fans shout about missing tackles one week, are the same players making those plays another. The coaching didn't change, only the execution.
DoddPower
9 years ago

There is a difference between teaching somebody something they don't know. And reminding them of what they do know. At the pro level, a coach is not going to teach a player how to tackle, or how to block. They watch for the lapses in form or concentration and correct them, and remind them to use the fundamentals they already know.

It is kind of idiotic to think that coaches at this level, are unable to coach "Teach". Like the players, they got to the level they are at for reasons, they know what they are doing, and are good at it.

The same players that fans shout about missing tackles one week, are the same players making those plays another. The coaching didn't change, only the execution.

NFL players are not all experts at their trade. At least relative to the rest of the league. Especially at the speed of the NFL and considering completely new and infinitely complex systems and techniques. Aaron Rodgers knew how to "throw" coming into the league, but changed his mechanics quite a bit with the assistance of his coaches. Many of these guys are 22-25 years old. The vast majority have a lot to learn. NFL coaches should absolutely know how to coach and teach. That's not the point at all. The point is, some do it much better than others and get much better results. That's the heart of the discussion with Dom Capers. He can be OK at times, historically bad at other times. Some Packers fans feel there may be someone out there that could do a better job. Some do not. That's just the way it is, but it's certainly a valid debate. Of course Dom Capers can "coach" and "teach" NFL players. But does he give the Green Bay Packers the best chance at having an elite defense? For the most part, I think he's pretty average. His units have some great games, but they also have a lot of bad ones. If Dom Capers doesn't have an extremely talented defense such as the Packers in 2010, his units seem to be pretty average overall, and sometimes worse. Hopefully the second half of the 2014 season and the playoffs will completely change that. Packers fans would love to have a great playoff defense again.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

NFL players are not all experts at their trade. At least relative to the rest of the league. Especially at the speed of the NFL and considering completely new and infinitely complex systems and techniques. Aaron Rodgers knew how to "throw" coming into the league, but changed his mechanics quite a bit with the assistance of his coaches. Many of these guys are 22-25 years old. The vast majority have a lot to learn. NFL coaches should absolutely know how to coach and teach. That's not the point at all. The point is, some do it much better than others and get much better results. That's the heart of the discussion with Dom Capers. He can be OK at times, historically bad at other times. Some Packers fans feel there may be someone out there that could do a better job. Some do not. That's just the way it is, but it's certainly a valid debate. Of course Dom Capers can "coach" and "teach" NFL players. But does he give the Green Bay Packers the best chance at having an elite defense? For the most part, I think he's pretty average. His units have some great games, but they also have a lot of bad ones. If Dom Capers doesn't have an extremely talented defense such as the Packers in 2010, his units seem to be pretty average overall, and sometimes worse. Hopefully the second half of the 2014 season and the playoffs will completely change that. Packers fans would love to have a great playoff defense again.

If somebody wants to say, maybe it is just time for a change, that I can understand somewhat. Change can be good at times. It is the arguments that he doesn't know how to teach tackling or other things I find ridiculous. Sure players have lapses in form and technique but seldom does it last more than a game. And when it has, the player ends up no longer playing before long.

Tramon can go out one week and tackle like he did Sunday and another game be flailing and missing tackles. That is not a coaching issue, those are player issues. What would make it a coaching issue is if it was not addressed which isn't the case.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.