Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Normally this would be the place where the interview would reside...

For now.. we will have to make due with this.. the interview is one its way.

UserPostedImage

:lol:

Nonstop.. replace this silly post when you get the interview complete.. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Because that cartoon made me laugh so hard, I am going to exert my moderatorial discretion and leave it in the place of honor. My interview follows. 😃
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
PackersHome name: Nonstopdrivel
Real name (first only): Rourke (I'm the only known American with this first name, so in reality, providing just my first name affords little actual privacy)
Current City: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Hometown: Born in Brookings, SD, but moved to La Crosse at 3 months of age

1) How did you choose your screen name?

I get this question a lot, and I can understand why. "Nonstop drivel" has unsavory connotations, and would seem to undermine my credibility, if not seem downright trollish, would it not? Well, it actually has an interesting back story.

Back in 1999, my freshman year of college(!), I was infatuated with a tall, rather beautiful classmate of mine, though I refused to admit it even to myself. At that time, I still lived with my parents, so they would pick me up from school every evening. One night, I found myself with little to do and a lot of spare time on my hands, so I ended up writing an email to this girl . . . then another . . . and yet another . . . until I had sent off something like five emails to the same girl in the space of less than an hour. In one of the emails, I said something like, "Rest assured, I don't have a crush on you" (ha!). Anyway, I signed the last the last email "Rourke ("Nonstop Drivel") Decker" as a self-deprecating joke.

A few days later, she mentioned that chatting on Yahoo! was really fun, and that I should really try it out. Vain as I was then of the infinitesimally small trace of American Indian blood running through my veins, I wanted to call myself "SittingBull," but of course, that screen name had probably been taken years before. So I tried a couple of other combinations, all of which were also in use, at which point she suggested I try the nickname I had given myself the other day in my email to her. I typed in "nonstopdrivel," and sure enough, it was available. I was delighted.

In the years since, I've used "nonstopdrivel" at scores, if not hundreds, of websites, and to my endless astonishment, not once has it ever been taken (except by me, those few times I'd forgotten that I had already subscribed to a site).

So, since "nonstopdrivel" has been my alterego for the better part of a decade, it was only natural I used it when I stumbled upon PackersHome.com.

2) Could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I grew up on the south side of La Crosse, WI, a small town of 51,000 on the Mississippi River, bordering Minnesota. I was the oldest of 10 kids (4 boys, 6 girls) born to a die-hard Lutheran couple. I attended private schools until second grade, from which point I was homeschooled through high school. My father is a mechanical engineer; my mother has a Masters of Education in counseling but has been home with the kids for many years. She also currently serves on City Council.

3) Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any High School clubs and such?

Because we didn't have access to school sports, we participated in non-scholastic track meets, cross-country races, and road races.

4) What is your fondest memory of your teenage years?

My teenage years are all a blur now, but the one that sticks out in my memory was being the keynote speaker at a fundraising dinner during a state convention of the Constitution Party of Wisconsin and being warmly applauded afterward. I also presented an address at a statewide homeschool graduation ceremony and had the audience rolling in the aisles with laughter.

5) What was your first job?

My first job out of high school was as an emergency room admissions clerk at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center. I became an EMT-B in the spring of 2002. I enlisted as a medic in the United States Army my junior year of college (2002), did a couple of tours in Iraq, got off active duty in May 2007, and have been a full-time returning student since. I currently serve as the Returning Adult Students Organization (RASO) Student Senator for my university.

6) What lead to your dedicated following of the Packers?

My reasons for following the Packers were largely fortuitous. I was raised without television, so I didn't have a chance to follow the Packers through childhood. I do remember my father taking me to Rocky Rococo's to watch the NFC Championship the year the Packers lost to the 49ers (1995?). The following year, my brother and I were home alone one afternoon, and we turned on the radio and happened to catch the NFC Championship game between the Packers and the Panthers. It was Jim Irwin who captured my imagination. I remember him mentioning how Reggie White was on the sidelines in tears after their victory, and from that point on, I was hooked. My parents let us watch the Super Bowl in a motel room, and we got to see the thrilling victory.

From that point on, I followed the Packers surreptitiously, taking the radio down to my basement bedroom on gameday and listening with the volume barely perceptible -- always afraid I was about to get caught. We ended up listening to the Super Bowl against the Broncos on the radio in the car; for whatever reason, our parents didn't take us to a hotel that year.

Given the way I discovered the Packers, perhaps it's only natural that I now watch most of the games online instead of on TV.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories of the Packers?

Without question, it's Super Bowl XXXI. Favre running in the quarterback sneak for a touchdown . . . Desmond Howard's 99-yard return for a touchdown . . . Favre running down the field, helmet in hand, after tossing a touchdown pass to Andre Rison . . . Reggie White pumping his fist in triumph after setting the Super Bowl record for sacks . . . and of course Jim Irwin's emotional "And the Lombardi Trophy is coming home to Green Bay!" . . . all are etched forever in my memory.

As I said before, it was Jim Irwin (and to a lesser extent, Max McGee) who captured my youthful imagination. Without him, I don't know if I would have latched onto the Packers as I did. So I remember his retirement speech vividly. It choked me up; I felt as though I were losing a best friend. Thankfully, Wayne Larrivee has stepped in and performed an admirable job; they couldn't have picked a better successor, in my opinion.

8) How did you find the PackersHome and what keeps you active on the site?

I was watching a Packers game on another Justin.tv feed last September, and it kept locking up because too many viewers were choking the bandwidth. Some wag came into the feed chat room and mentioned the PackersHome feed, even handing out the access code. I tried it out and got hooked.

I continue to post here because it's far and away the most open-minded, articulate Packers forum I've discovered so far. I was disillusioned with PackersNews.com, which is overrun with trolls and demagogues. This site is a breath of fresh air.

Being promoted to Moderator hasn't dampened my enthusiasm either. (Thanks, Zero2Cool.) 😃

9) What other sports teams do you follow?

Honestly, I'd have to say I'm only truly a fan of the Green Bay Packers. I don't follow any sports besides the NFL with much interest. But as HoustonMatt pointed out in his interview, the primary legitimate reason for being a fan is geographical, so I do listen to Bucks and Brewers games when I happen to catch their games on the radio, but I'm rather apathetic overall, since they've mostly sucked for decades. I also owe my allegiance to the Badgers, but mostly to hate on them for their seemingly inevitable late-season collapses.

10) When youre not on PackersHome what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

Reading. Studying (ha, as if!). Spending, ah, quality time with my wife. Playing with my twin sons. Watching sports. Entertaining friends. Perusing the internet.

11) If you could have one moment being part of the Packer organization, what would it be?

I would love to return a Super Bowl kickoff for a touchdown.

12) How many trips have you made to Lambeau?

My brother once won a trip to the Don Hutson Training Center for some kick-punt-pass clinic, but I never made it inside Lambeau Field itself. I almost bought some tickets to the Lions game this year; unfortunately, the scheduling gods intervened. I hope some day to see it!

13) What is your worst fear?

Prison, without question. Incarceration has always been a deep-rooted paranoia of mine, but it was only reinforced by serving as a prison medic over in Iraq for nearly 18 months. Even worse, I was stuck for a year working Iso, where I saw how easily mental collapses ensue during solitary confinement. I came away with admiration for the prisoners who were able to maintain their sense of peace during confinement; I don't think I could do it. If I knew for sure I was about to be sent to prison, I'm convinced I would off myself.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

Reading, writing, weightlifting, competitive sports, flirting with girls, wine and beer tastings (I've become something of a connoisseur).

15) What's your favorite food?

My wife is weary of me clamoring for pizza -- even more so that we now have 2 two-year-olds who are even more fanatical about it than I am. I'm a big fan of Italian food in general, though.

16) Where are some of the places you've been, and where are some of your favorites?

Coming from a family of 10 kids, I didn't get to travel as much as a lot of other young people. I've seen most of the states in some small measure, however. I spent my childhood and teenage years hating winter and wanting to live somewhere warm. Then I lived for a few years in North Carolina while stationed at Fort Bragg -- and hated it more than I could possibly have imagined. Here's the thing about places with no cold winter: it's almost impossible to control the bugs. So I'm back in Wisconsin, at least until I graduate.

Until I joined the army, I'd never been outside the United States. Sine then, I've seen a good chunk of Iraq and Kuwait; visited Qatar a couple of times. I've seen airports in Iceland, Ireland, Romania, and Germany en route to or from the sand box, but that's it. "Join the army -- see the world"? Don't believe a word of it.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?

Go to Lambeau. Finish my screenplay.

18) If you could live anywhere where would it be?

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Chicago. I have friends there, and the girls are amazing. On the other hand, Houston, where my best friend lives, has a great medical infrastructure and low cost of living; she's always trying to persuade me to relocate. We'll see.

I'm not the kind of person who develops emotional roots in any one place. My dream is to have enough money that I can go wherever I want on a temporary basis, while always having a place to come home to and regroup. Where that place would be isn't terribly important to me.

19) Name your favorite 5 Packers all time and explain the reason for one of them.

Brett Favre - hooked me on the Packers with his swashbuckling swagger and derringdo
Reggie White - likewise; his performance in Super Bowl XXXI was one for the ages
Greg Jennings
Donald Driver
Aaron Rodgers - the future of this organization

20) Up to now, what is your favorite PackersHome memory or feature?

I would have to say it's the conversation I had with Zero2Cool in which he asked me to serve as Moderator. ;)

21) PM and post the next person to be interviewed.

I would say fellow Moderator dfosterf, but he's so popular that someone is bound to pick him anyway, so I'm going to go with all_about_da_packers, who is one of the most insightful, reasoned, articulate posters on this site. I love reading his stuff, even when I disagree with him.

Thanks for the nomination, HoustonMatt. This was a lot of fun!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago
Excellent read.. glad to know a little more about you.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in La Crescent, right across the river, I spent 2 to 3 weeks in the summer there every year. Living on a farm, that was my vacation so I know the area well.. finished school at UWL.

Spent many a summer day on the A dock of the Pettibone Boat club fishing.. when I got about 14.. they started to let me take the fishing boat out.. nothing like a week worth of fishing on the Mississip.. got so good at filleting fish that I would take a cooler, fillet them on the side of the boat and kick the remainder back over for the catfish and other scavengers..

That is some of the prettiest country in the states.. the bluffs.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
4PackGirl
15 years ago
great read, rourke.

i found it hysterical that you consider a town of 51,000 people to be...small! i'm from a town of 200 - THAT'S small, my friend.

as far as the twin boys go, wait til they turn 3!! mine skipped thru the terrible 2's without a scratch - i thought i was home free - NOT!!

great stories - found it very interesting that you were brought up without television. do you feel you "missed out" on anything as a result or were your horizons & there by, your imagination expanded more without the idiot box?

thanks again for sharing a lil more of yourself with us! 😃
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago
BTW... have you ever picked Morel Mushrooms?

If so, we might have crossed paths if you sold them at Hill's Morel Mushrooms in La Crescent.. learned much about business in the springs working for my Aunt and Uncle.
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Great read, Nonstop. I love how much effort you put into it.

Awesome to get to know you a little better, great writing. ^^
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Thanks, guys. I had fun writing it. But sheesh, it needed some serious editing. I can't believe how many typos I just found!
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago
Very interesting. Thanks for being so elaborate. More detail always makes for a better read than one word answers.

Were you're parents by chance Ayn Rand fans? Rourke is the name of the protagonist in her popular novel The Fountainhead. Curious if there's any connection there.

And your friend's right, there's a lot of good things about Houston, but if you can't handle the heat and humidity it becomes a moot point.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
Great read!
But HEY.......you like flirting with girls, and you want to move to Chicago, because "the girls are amazing"........arn't you married????

I think your wife might not appreciate that!!! LOLOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.