uffda udfa
9 years ago

Uffda...out of curiosity, did you major in pro football analytics, or what did you study between the ages of 18 and 22 that makes you a more credible source of info than a guy that studied ecology?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

LOL. What point are you missing about a guy who lives in the UNITED KINGDOM who studied ecology in college is the MAIN analyst at PFF? Really?

It doesn't matter what I studied. I live in America....grew up with football, played football almost every single day of my young life. Some dude who didn't and lives across the pond is the main analyst for PFF? Honestly, are you kidding. The branding of PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS and seeing it on websites have made you validate it...that's fine. It comes down to WHO is doing the grading, not who is using their ratings. I see that but you don't....it seems most of you are caught up with the end while I'm looking at the beginning.

Shoot, knowing what I know about PFF seriously makes me consider contacting a few people I used to work with to see if we can put together a site to blow these guys out of the water. Some UNITED KINGDOM think tank is not as reputable as a bunch of NFL loving AMERICAN guys who were in the business of covering football as young adults.

I went from being unsure if these PFF grades were really anything to take seriously to finding them near laughable but that is just my opinion. I'm sure yours hasn't changed and that is really really odd to me.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

LOL. What point are you missing about a guy who lives in the UNITED KINGDOM who studied ecology in college is the MAIN analyst at PFF? Really?

It doesn't matter what I studied. I live in America....grew up with football, played football almost every single day of my young life. Some dude who didn't and lives across the pond is the main analyst for PFF? Honestly, are you kidding. The branding of PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS and seeing it on websites have made you validate it...that's fine. It comes down to WHO is doing the grading, not who is using their ratings. I see that but you don't....it seems most of you are caught up with the end while I'm looking at the beginning.

Shoot, knowing what I know about PFF seriously makes me consider contacting a few people I used to work with to see if we can put together a site to blow these guys out of the water. Some UNITED KINGDOM think tank is not as reputable as a bunch of NFL loving AMERICAN guys who were in the business of covering football as young adults.

I went from being unsure if these PFF grades were really anything to take seriously to finding them near laughable but that is just my opinion. I'm sure yours hasn't changed and that is really really odd to me.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Kind of appears they are more than a one man show from their staff listing.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-football-focus-fantasy-staff/ 

The moment I replied showing that if "we" overvalue Corey Linsley then the ProFootballFocus staff does as well, you were desperately looking for a reason to discredit the ratings. You then clung onto the ratings for Evan Dietrich-Smith and when it was explained a player can rate well one season and still not be retained, you marched forward looking for another avenue to discredit the source. Thus we have your asinine prejudice against the education of one of many on the staff.

And no, I am not saying we should 100% trust each rating of every player by ProFootballFocus. I'm simply saying it's a good tool to compare Player A to Player B.

Bachelor of Arts (BA), Mathematics and Statistics?? What garbage!!!
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/nate-hodges/82/176/2a3 

Here's the Founder and Owner of ProFootballFocus
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/neil-hornsby/4/42/9a0 

I link sources, you just ramble with no source linking at all. For all we know, you're making shit up. :)

Our player participation data has been confirmed as 99.96% accurate. As for the grading, through our interactions with many NFL teams, we feel as strongly about the accuracy of the grades. Whether looking at teams in a broad snapshot or on a play-by-play basis, our feedback from NFL personnel departments has always been extremely positive.

Yeah, these ratings shouldn't be trusted by us fans even though NFL personnel departments appear to. I think we should trust Pro Bowl selections instead! Bahahahahahaha

UserPostedImage
macbob
9 years ago

What are the credentials of the guys who work at PFF?

Bwahahahaha!!! Good one, uffda!

I'm not commenting on the credibility of PFF. I just had to laugh at the above, questioning the credentials of Zero's source, given the sources(?) you routinely cite.

That was a good laugh! Thanks! [roflmao]
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

You criticize so many others when they dodge direct questions. Kind of funny how you gloss over a pretty straight-forward question I asked. What did you major in, and then the question to be read between the lines, how does your college major make you more qualified as a football analyst than someone who majored in ecology...I think it's a fair question since there have been probably 10 times in this thread that you discredited him due to what he studied when he was 20 y.o.

I've never been to PFF, don't really pay much attention to them either. I just find your justifications for discrediting them as a reputable source curious, especially when you seem to regard the Uffda eye ball test as more reputable when it would appear your resume isn't quite as strong as what they've done. By resume, I'm not just referring to what street they were born on, or what they studied 25 years ago...I'm referring to their body of work.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Kind of appears they are more than a one man show from their staff listing.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-football-focus-fantasy-staff/ 

The moment I replied showing that if "we" overvalue Corey Linsley then the ProFootballFocus staff does as well, you were desperately looking for a reason to discredit the ratings. You then clung onto the ratings for Evan Dietrich-Smith and when it was explained a player can rate well one season and still not be retained, you marched forward looking for another avenue to discredit the source. Thus we have your asinine prejudice against the education of one of many on the staff.

And no, I am not saying we should 100% trust each rating of every player by ProFootballFocus. I'm simply saying it's a good tool to compare Player A to Player B.

Bachelor of Arts (BA), Mathematics and Statistics?? What garbage!!!
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/nate-hodges/82/176/2a3 

Here's the Founder and Owner of ProFootballFocus
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/neil-hornsby/4/42/9a0 

I link sources, you just ramble with no source linking at all. For all we know, you're making shit up. :)

Yeah, these ratings shouldn't be trusted by us fans even though NFL personnel departments appear to. I think we should trust Pro Bowl selections instead! Bahahahahahaha

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Did you miss the quote from PFF's own site that Neil Hornsby and Stockwell make up for NINETY PERCENT of what you see at PFF. The other guy you are trumpeting make up 10% of what we see on the site.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

macbob
9 years ago

Merry Christmas, earthquake. You're right...it probably isn't. It wouldn't be easy supporting the idea that an ecology major from the UK is the main analyst at PFF. We could band together and put them out of business. I trust me more than I do him.

"As of the 2011 season, PFF provides customized data to five NFL teams, along with a number of agents, media and NFL players."

Oh, those fools running NFL teams. Actually paying a UK ecology major to evaluate players.

How many teams are paying you to evaluate players for them, uffda?

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Did you miss the quote from PFF's own site that Neil Hornsby and Stockwell make up for NINETY PERCENT of what you see at PFF. The other guy you are trumpeting make up 10% of what we see on the site.

Holy shit you're obtuse! You're seriously going to ignore EVERYTHING said and harp on this and don't even have the damn decency to provide a link? Here, since you're incapable of doing anything remotely helpful ... Ben Stockwell
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/ben-stockwell/24/a99/715 

As for your 90% comment that you BIG GOD DAMN SURPRISE won't link us to, here, I'll do THAT for you too!
https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/history/ 

You didn't even read the whole damn thing. You looked for a string to pull and stopped when you read the portion you quoted about 90%.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

You criticize so many others when they dodge direct questions. Kind of funny how you gloss over a pretty straight-forward question I asked. What did you major in, and then the question to be read between the lines, how does your college major make you more qualified as a football analyst than someone who majored in ecology...I think it's a fair question since there have been probably 10 times in this thread that you discredited him due to what he studied when he was 20 y.o.

I've never been to PFF, don't really pay much attention to them either. I just find your justifications for discrediting them as a reputable source curious, especially when you seem to regard the Uffda eye ball test as more reputable when it would appear your resume isn't quite as strong as what they've done. By resume, I'm not just referring to what street they were born on, or what they studied 25 years ago...I'm referring to their body of work.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Elementary Ed and Broadcasting

You guys just don't want to get it... the MAIN analyst (Stockwell) majored in ecology and went to work right out o college in the UK. It wasn't like he spent 5 years after college studying the NFL on an internship here in America. He went to school in the UK and went directly to work for PFF who is a UK based site. What was Stockwell's training to be an NFL rater? He studied ecology and lives abroad so please tell me?

So, tell me macbob... do you think PFF knows what they're talking about? Here's another main cog over at PFF... does he sound like he knows football to you?

...luckily this is where Ian Perks came in. Caring for football not one iota and learning Access as he went (and cursing it every step of the way), he produced the proverbial silk purse out of my sow’s ear and this became the application which all of the analysts now use.

I guess for you there has to be some pedestal quality to people who put together a website. For me there isn't. Again, I'm sorry if you find it arrogant, or whatever, I trust me more than I trust the ecology major from the UK.

Would you trust some stat geek from MIT to tell you how football works? Perhaps, you would. There are smarts and football smarts. The stat geek is not football smart...he's stat smart. You have a stat guy ecology major marriage at PFF and that somehow is held in high regard by you? I trust a group of guys I worked with to sit down and do the exact same thing save for doing it better. I would endeavor to be taught the game by people who actually played it.

Feel free to hail PFF as some wonderful tool...when doing so keep in mind the main cog was a fresh out of college ecology major in the UK. That just screams credibility doesn't it?

UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Elementary Ed and Broadcasting

You guys just don't want to get it... the MAIN analyst (Stockwell) majored in ecology and went to work right out o college in the UK. It wasn't like he spent 5 years after college studying the NFL on an internship here in America. He went to school in the UK and went directly to work for PFF who is a UK based site. What was Stockwell's training to be an NFL rater? He studied ecology and lives abroad so please tell me?

Feel free to hail PFF as some wonderful tool...when doing so keep in mind the main cog was a fresh out of college ecology major in the UK. That just screams credibility doesn't it?

Toss out those last seven years of grading NFL games because he didn't spend five years ... wait, what? [duh]
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Holy shit you're obtuse! You're seriously going to ignore EVERYTHING said and harp on this and don't even have the damn decency to provide a link? Here, since you're incapable of doing anything remotely helpful ... Ben Stockwell
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/ben-stockwell/24/a99/715 

As for your 90% comment that you BIG GOD DAMN SURPRISE won't link us to, here, I'll do THAT for you too!
https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/history/ 

You didn't even read the whole damn thing. You looked for a string to pull and stopped when you read the portion you quoted about 90%.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Again, again, and again wild accusations and wrongly held beliefs about me and what I've done are used by you to try and discredit me. Have at it. I told you who Ben Stockwell was...somehow, I guess you feel superior for providing the link to exactly what I stated as if that means you've done something?

I would think it might be wise for you to actually read what I've posted before going off half cocked as you have in this post. You might be surprised to see what has already been posted instead of indulging in blind rage for having PFF taken to the woodshed as highly questionable I'm sorry you thought this was some group of people who understood the game doing these ratings.

In the end, you remain comfortable believing the PFF ratings are top notch analytics even though you now know for yourself the MAIN guy at PFF lives in the UK and studied ecology. We've got that on record. Feel free to write another post dripping with feigned outrage making wild unsubstantiated allegations. It's always a trip seeing what you'll come up with next to try to get away from the fact Ben Stockwell is the main guy at PFF.

EDIT: BTW, do you have a LINK to ANYTHING I've posted about PFF that is inaccurate? You make me smile...you think I made "blank" up? Nope. I asked you last night who these guys were...you were a subscriber and DID NOT KNOW. That's pretty amazing to me...you waste your own money on something and don't even care to know who you're giving it to? I didn't care to know about PFF's people because they don't mean anything to me. Last night after your nice chart trying to validate the wonders of Corey Linsley I decided to look for myself...took me just a few minutes of research to realize their 2013 grade on EDS is higher than Linsley's current grade and the main grader over there is a guy who studied ecology in the United Kingdom. I not for your subscription and you were starting at this fresh and you knew their site was run by some UK guys WHO DO NOT KNOW FOOTBALL nor have ANY BACKGROUND IN IT, you would conclude like me that these amateurs are highly questionable. You like to tout who uses them...Jimmy Haslam used a HOMELESS MAN in picking Manziel. Your sad deification of things like PFF are no surprise considering how you pedestalize other things you hear. I've been involved in this stuff...did it for years. It's like the Wizard of Oz...it's all a show...not really all that impressive. Look at Mike Florio... a lawyer who got involved with Jason Peery, whom I met and tried to help forge a partnership with at an old network of mine, is now on SNF every single week. It ain't some mystical thing where they're so much better than you, you just believe that and that is your choice. I don't believe it nor do I hail them or think what they're doing is some great accomplishment.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (1h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (12h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (12h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.