Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I was debating on writing something up on this and until hearing someone on the radio today I didn't have the necessary motivation to do so.

The main reason I subscribe to ProFootballFocus is the collection of stats. I love stats!!!! The following stats are retrieved from said source.

Okay so the NFL MVP award will be handed, err earned later on and many feel it is Aaron Rodgers who deserves it most. Wrong, and the stats will help validate this reasoning.

Aaron Rodgers
11th in NFL with 65.1% completion
3rd in NFL with 8.3 yards per attempt
2nd in NFL with 111.0 passer rating

Sickens me to admit this ...

Tony Romo
1st in NFL with 70.3% completion
1st in NFL with 8.5 yards per attempt
1st in NFL with 114.4 passer rating

Both QB's have the same amount of wins this season so ... sickening feeling approaching again ... the more deserving QB is Tony Romo.

HOWEVER, there is a defensive end that is crushing the league and you know him as J.J. Watt. Below are 3-4 and 4-3 defensive end statistical rankings for J.J. Watt.

1st in NFL with 43 QB hits
1st in NFL with 18 QB sacks (other sources have him at 17.5 sacks)
2nd in NFL with 49 QB hurries (1st has 50)
1st in NFL with 56 stops (tackle with no positive gain including sacks)

Let's not forget he has scored by returning an interception for a touchdown, returning a fumble for a touchdown and caught three touchdown passes.

The NFL MVP belongs to J.J. Watt
UserPostedImage
earthquake
9 years ago
Yeah, I was looking at Romo's stats the other day and was shocked to see how good of a year he has had. I think the most valid argument here is that Demarco Murray is a huge focal point of the offense in Dallas, and while Eddie Lacy is a very good running back, he doesn't do for Green Bay what Murray does for Dallas.

I do agree that Watt is having an excellent year, it's basically unheard of especially when you consider that he is a 3-4 DE (typically not a pass-rushing position) to put up the sort of stats he's had.

Now, the problem with Watt and Romo/Brady/Manning is that, more than anyone else in the NFL, Rodgers makes the packers a significantly better team when he plays. Watt can't elevate the Texans to a good team, and the Cowboys would probably be a better team without Romo than the packers would be without Rodgers.

Thus Rodgers is the MVP. My take on it at least.
blank
Laser Gunns
9 years ago

QB bias aside, Watt deserves MVP. He is by far the most impactful defender the league has had in a long time. If he does not win it, then the award should just change to MVQB.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
nerdmann
9 years ago
It's not a statistical contest. It's about who's more important to their team.

Besides everybody knows Gomer Pyle is overrated.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
9 years ago
How many GM's would trade Aaron Rodgers for Tony Romo. I don't think I could name one. There is absolutely no question who is the best player in this league, unless you're a moron that thinks football is about stats.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

How many GM's would trade Aaron Rodgers for Tony Romo. I don't think I could name one. There is absolutely no question who is the best player in this league, unless you're a moron that thinks football is about stats.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

The question you pose holds no relevance whatsoever to the topic or the awarding of NFL MVP. That being said, you are correct, every GM would take Aaron Rodgers over Tony Romo. Actually, wait, if Al Davis were alive we'd have to check their 40 times before saying that with confirmation.

I do think it brings up a good question, that you failed to actually articulate. How is the MVP award actually defined? Is it defined? Is it most valuable player to the NFL or to their team?

If it is most valuable to their team, I think 2013 showed precisely how valuable Aaron Rodgers is to the Packers. Kind of like when the Colts went something like 2 - 14 without Peyton Manning.

I would certainly rather Rodgers, but Romo has been a more effective passer as the statistics show. What they fail to show is that Rodgers was also removed from several games due to building such an enormous lead.

Regardless, I stand by J.J. Watt being most valuable player and most deserving of the award.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
9 years ago

Yeah, I was looking at Romo's stats the other day and was shocked to see how good of a year he has had. I think the most valid argument here is that Demarco Murray is a huge focal point of the offense in Dallas, and while Eddie Lacy is a very good running back, he doesn't do for Green Bay what Murray does for Dallas.

I do agree that Watt is having an excellent year, it's basically unheard of especially when you consider that he is a 3-4 DE (typically not a pass-rushing position) to put up the sort of stats he's had.

Now, the problem with Watt and Romo/Brady/Manning is that, more than anyone else in the NFL, Rodgers makes the packers a significantly better team when he plays. Watt can't elevate the Texans to a good team, and the Cowboys would probably be a better team without Romo than the packers would be without Rodgers.

Thus Rodgers is the MVP. My take on it at least.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

IMO what is more important then murray for dallas is dallas line and run blocking. They got a really nice line and I like their 6 linemen setups.

ya JJ watt deserves it

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
I would have no problem with Watt winning the MVP. But Romo is a different story. When you look around and listen to who people list as candidates. They list Romo and Murray. Romo has been having a good season, but is doing so because of not only Murray, also his Oline.

When a team has two MVP candidates, they don't have ONE.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
luigis
9 years ago
Tony Romo:

354th in the NFL in holding ability
2nd in choking after choking (1st is Jay Cutler)

If Rodgers dismantles the Lions and the Boys at home then he is a serious candidate. But given his calf injury I wouldn't bet on that and I agree this year the MVP title will probably be given to somebody else.

Luis
GermanGilbert
9 years ago
JJ Watt is having a heck of a season and DPOY should be a 100% vote on him, however, if the Texans don't get into the playoffs he couldn't be THAT valuable. Didn't recognize Romo having such great of a season, but he's deserving a shot for sure. My vote is still the Tom Wrigglesworth look-a-like.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (44m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.