Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — We know Clay Matthews was not on the field for the Green Bay Packers' last two defensive series during their Jan. 18 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. We also know that the Packers' star linebacker returned for the defense's final series, the Seahawks' game-winning touchdown drive in overtime.

And while we still don't know exactly why Matthews missed those two series, coach Mike McCarthy didn't exactly dispel the notion Wednesday that Matthews may have been experiencing concussion-like symptoms after the collision with Willson with 10 minutes 41 seconds left in regulation.

Asked during his season wrap-up news conference Wednesday whether Matthews was ever examined for a possible concussion, McCarthy said the only exam he knew the medical staff administered was for a knee injury.

But McCarthy also acknowledged that he saw Matthews on the sideline and was wondering if something was wrong with him.

"I don't know about a concussion. I know he was being looked at there at the end [for] his knee," McCarthy said. "But he did have a couple collisions, and we may be talking about the same play. I saw it and I actually walked towards him, because Jordy Nelson waved to me. I talked to Clay and he just said he needed a minute. Looking him in the eye and everything, I didn't see any reason for concern there."

After leading with his head to hit Willson on the incomplete pass, Matthews can be seen on FOX Sports' replay putting his hands to his head while lying on the CenturyLink Field turf. He then jogs off to the Packers sideline, where he did not immediately interact with trainers.

Matthews returns for several plays later in the drive, which ended in Seattle punting. He was not on the field for Morgan Burnett's interception on the ensuing series, then wasn't on the field for the last two Seattle possessions of regulation, as the Seahawks turned a 19-7 deficit into a 22-19 lead.

After the Packers tied the game with a field goal in the closing seconds of regulation, Matthews was back on the field in overtime, when the Seahawks won the game on a 35-yard touchdown on the sixth play of extra time.

After the game, McCarthy said he wasn't aware that Matthews was out of the game late in regulation. On Wednesday, McCarthy said because of his duties as the offensive play-caller, the medical staff may have checked Matthews out without his knowledge.

"As far as, the doctors, especially being a play-caller, I don't get every play by play of what every guy was looked at [for] during the course of the game," McCarthy said. "I really don't even get that until after a home game until I go back through the training room and we have a list that we go through each guy he has seen. Just the way we're structured, unless it impacts the game as far as a player injury, I'm not really notified."

Here's a look at two screen captures from FOX Sports' broadcast of the play in question.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

After the game, McCarthy said he wasn't aware that Matthews was out of the game late in regulation. On Wednesday, McCarthy said because of his duties as the offensive play-caller, the medical staff may have checked Matthews out without his knowledge.

Inexcusable for the head coach to not know one of you stars is not playing when the game is on the line.

Not sure how he could be so busy as a play-caller when all he could muster was 3 weak run attempts for a 3nOUT.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
shield4life
9 years ago

Inexcusable for the head coach to not know one of you stars is not playing when the game is on the line.

Not sure how he could be so busy as a play-caller when all he could muster was 3 weak run attempts for a 3nOUT.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

How is that even possible that he wasn't aware that CM3 wasn't on the field when he was standing on the sideline with him.

:crazy:
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
nerdmann
9 years ago

How is that even possible that he wasn't aware that CM3 wasn't on the field when he was standing on the sideline with him.

:crazy:

Originally Posted by: shield4life 

Maybe they should check Mike for concussion-like symptoms.

THE FOUNDATION FOR THE NEW DIRECTION OF THE GREEN BAY PACKERS WILL BE CONSTRUCTED WITH THREE KEY COMPONENTS OF OBTAINING "PACKER PEOPLE," CREATING "STABLE STRUCTURE" AND CONCENTRATING ON "CHARACTER AND CHEMISTRY."

A POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT WILL BE CREATED WITH "LEADERSHIP" THAT KEEPS ITS EYE ON THE TARGET OF ESTABLISHING A CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL TEAM.

THE DIRECTION WILL BE FUELED WITH CONSTANT COMMUNICATION TO ENSURE EVERYONE IS ON BOARD. WE WILL ATTACK THE VOYAGE WITH ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM TO OVERCOME THE OBSTACLES THAT WE WILL ENCOUNTER.

THIS VISION IS ENHANCED WITH RESOURCES AND TRADITION THAT STANDS IN THE FOREFRONT OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS.

I AM HONORED AND PRIVILEGED FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEAD THE GREEN BAY PACKERS ON A NEW JOURNEY BACK TO THE PINNACLE THAT BEARS THE NAME OF "COACH LOMBARDI."

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Gilligan
9 years ago
Matthews is no Ray Nitschke.
I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
yooperfan
9 years ago
McCarthy needs to be head coach of the entire football team.
For him not to know that his best defensive player is not on the field because he is too busy with his play calling duties is a stinking pile of crap.
McCarthy needs to decide what he wants to be, a game managing head coach or a play calling offensive coordinator.
How many other details has he missed over the years because he was too busy with his play calling duties?
I have brought this up many times over the years and I stand by it.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
With the game on the line with a few minutes left in the game I would certainly be wondering why the hell 52 wasn't in the game.

If they were gonna run the ball 3 times I don't know why they didn't put Flynn in. Let's get Aaron some rest as well.

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
nerdmann
9 years ago
Then again if he had a concussion, he shouldn't have been out there at all.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
Time to clean house!

I for onr am tired of winning the division every year

Anybody HAS to be better than Mike McCarthy!

Ray Rhodes available? He had it all together his one yesr.

How about the guy that just got fired in Atlanta?

Mike Smith?

HE out coached Mike every time!.

I don't have a clue whar Ted was thinking 9 years ago!

This winning bullshit sucks!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Time to clean house!

I for onr am tired of winning the division every year

Anybody HAS to be better than Mike McCarthy!

Ray Rhodes available? He had it all together his one yesr.

How about the guy that just got fired in Atlanta?

Mike Smith?

HE out coached Mike every time!.

I don't have a clue whar Ted was thinking 9 years ago!

This winning bullshit sucks!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Because of the level of talent on the team, we win the games they should win. It is the games where we are more evenly matched that he has problems. That is the difference between a good coach and a great coach. If McCarthy did better in those games, he might be great.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (24m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.