Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Updated: 12:11 p.m. January 15, 2009

Robbery suspect shot, killed in East Atlanta
Potential victim got the jump on him, fires 5 or 6 times
By MIKE MORRIS, TIM EBERLY

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A robbery suspect was shot and killed by his intended victim outside an East Atlanta Village bar late Wednesday, Atlanta police said Thursday.

Police do not believe the shooting has any connection to the recent high-profile killing at a Grant Park bar.

The suspected robber, a 29-year-old man from the Decatur area, carried a Colt .40-caliber handgun, while the gun that killed bar worker John Henderson was a 9mm, Atlanta police Detective Michael Willis said.

The killing Wednesday comes a week after Hendersons killing in another popular hangout about two miles away, Standard Food & Spirits, sparked an outpouring of community support and galvanized grassroots efforts to improve public safety by some who say the city is becoming more dangerous.

Willis said he could not release the identity of the dead man Thursday morning because he had not yet notified relatives of his death.

The detective also declined to name the man and woman police said were the intended robbery victims. The man who opened fire in self defense is a 28-year-old who works in the airline industry and lives in a northern suburb of Atlanta, possibly Cobb County, Willis said.

The woman he was with they have been dating for a couple of months is around 40 years old and lives in the Marietta area, Willis said.

Wednesday night, the couple made their way to the popular East Atlanta Village, known for its trendy bars and eateries, because they have been taking swing-dancing lessons, Willis said.

Their dancing instructor told them that one of the East Atlanta bars, Graveyard Tavern, had big band nights, Willis said.

So they came down here to dance, Willis said.

When they left the bar around 11:15 p.m., the man gave his date the keys to his Ford Ranger pickup truck so she could drive. They walked to the truck, parked in an Ace Hardware lot across a side street on the same side of Glenwood Avenue.

Inside the vehicle, the woman was adjusting the drivers seat and mirrors when the man looked over his shoulder and saw a man standing at his passenger window, Willis said.

Believing the man was going to beg for money, the passenger rolled down his window a few inches, Willis said. But he had a strange feeling about the man, so he grabbed his gun from the glove box and put it on his lap, Willis said.

He asked the stranger what he wanted, and noticed the man was reaching for his waistband or pockets, the detective said. Instinctively, the passenger shoved open his door, knocking the suspected robber back a few feet, Willis said. The woman started screaming.

The man got out of the truck and the suspected robber raised a weapon at him, Willis said. When he saw that, he just started shooting, the detective said.

The man shot the suspected robber five or six times, in the stomach and chest, Willis said. The robber did not fire any shots.

He just got the jump on him, Willis said of the victim. He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.

Willis said the mans accuracy was impressive. In an interview later, the man told Willis that his brother used to shoot firearms competitively and taught him to shoot.

As one could expect, the shooting left the man and his companion visibly shaken.

He actually said, Im surprised I havent thrown up yet, Willis said. He was that upset.

Willis said he did not know much about the suspected robber. A criminal background check did not reveal any recent arrests by Atlanta police, but he might have a criminal history in DeKalb County.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. In the article one of the commentators said if someone is going to brand a gun in your face, they are ready to meet their maker as well.

I have wondered if we would be a better society if we all knew the person we were flipping off had a loaded gun and if it would make us think twice about being so snide. Kind of like the internet actually, people know they can hide behind their screen so suddenly they are 'tougher'. I think if we all had a loaded gun, we'd respect the person next to us far more.

What do you think about this or my comments? (I'm bored at work, please, entertain me! lol)
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
15 years ago
There is a City 20 miles east of Atlanta called Kennesaw.

I went there to visit the Civil War Battlefield at Kennesaw Mountain. The first person I saw in Kennesaw was walking down the street with two 45's in a two gun holster.

In Kennesaw Georgia IT IS THE LAW that you own and maintain a firearm if you own a home. You can also wear or carry them on the public streets.

Read this... Oh... Crime is almost non existant by the way.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/738709/firearm_ownership_is_mandatory_for.html?cat=17 
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Cheesey
15 years ago
People shouldn't HAVE to carry a gun for you to respect them.
That said.......my last statement will never become reality.

Yes....i believe people would be less apt to whip the bird, or confront you if they thought it might end up with them looking like a piece of swiss cheese.

That story was just one more piece of proof that you have to be able to protect yourself in today's world. It's sad that it's come to that, but it is what it is.
I have always said........if i had to shoot someone, i would. But it would sicken me.....i hope i NEVER have to do that.
I don't feel sorry for any punk that tries to rob, rape, or hurt someone because they feel "brave" cause they have a gun.
Lets build a city, put a high fence around it, put all the violent criminals in it, give them each a gun, and let THEM get rid of our problems. Within 6 months the city would have zero population.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
RP i brought up that town in the guns and athletes section i think all legal citizens should carry guns. Lets go back to the old west :D

BTW i have my carry permit so i do carry mine most of the time, or i have one close by in my Jeep.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
15 years ago
Hazer....

What city and State do you live in?
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
dhazer
15 years ago

Hazer....

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I'm in PA RP you pay $25 bucks here go thru a background check and 2 references and bang you have your carry permit
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

Hazer....

"dhazer" wrote:

I'm in PA RP you pay $25 bucks here go thru a background check and 2 references and bang you have your carry permit

"RaiderPride" wrote:

What a choice of words......."BANG!!!"
LOLOL!!!
Really though, if we all COULD carry, it wouldn't be as bad as the "old west". Back then, they didn't have cameras, police departments in every town, the ability to let everyone know who the bad guys are with TV and the web.
So a criminal wouldn't be able to go from town to town, unknown, and be able to knock off banks and so on.
Like i have said, over and over, the bad guys are already carrying, and THEY are the ones everyone needs to worry about.
I'd like the chance to carry, in CASE it's needed.
But as long as ol' Gov. Doyle, the bleeding heart liberal, is in office, we Wisconsinites will be at the mercy of the punks.
UserPostedImage
vegOmatic
15 years ago

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

If the guy reloaded with 3-4 more clips and pumped the bullets into him, I might have raised an eyebrow.
blank
TheEngineer
15 years ago
Reading these kind of articles makes me shake my head.

Anyone consider the fact that if the "victim" didn't have a weapon, he probably wouldn't have moved to shove open the door which would have been unlikely to startle the robber into pulling out a weapon?

This is legal murder. That's what it is. Shove the dude, let him pull out a weapon and then blast away. And hey, no problem, it was "self defence".
blank
vegOmatic
15 years ago
Every situation may be different but in this case the person was carrying a weapon and attempting to rob someone. Victims have rights. Including the right to shoot.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (41m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.