MintBaconDrivel
9 years ago

4. Green Bay Packers

DL: NT Letroy Guion's contract is up. As is B.J. Raji's, who likely would have been Green Bay's starting nose tackle if he hadn't torn his right biceps tendon last preseason. LE Mike Daniels is an unsung star and 2013 first-round pick Datone Jones is ready for a bigger role. But the Packers must solidify nose tackle and add depth in the defensive trenches.

CB: The Packers are in danger of losing steady LCB Tramon Williams and No. 4 corner Davon House, as both are free agents. It's unclear whether Green Bay envisions dime back Casey Hayward or swiss-army-knife DB Micah Hyde as starting caliber. Williams is one of the better cornerbacks on the market and figures to seek top dollar.

OT: The Packers are in good shape at every offensive line position save right tackle, where Bryan Bulaga's contract is up. Bulaga graded out as a top-ten pass-blocking tackle at Pro Football Focus in 2014. Top reserve Don Barclay is a restricted free agent after tearing his ACL last August.

TE: Inside linebacker is a need for the Packers after another poor season from A.J. Hawk. Brad Jones, Sam Barrington, and Jamari Lattimore were given chances to nail down jobs, but all three failed. Tight end is just as pressing and possibly more so, especially if free agent Randall Cobb walks. GM Ted Thompson spent a third-round pick on Richard Rodgers last May, but he isn't a promising prospect. In-line TE Andrew Quarless is just a guy, and Brandon Bostick is an injury-prone underachiever.

Read more ...  

Evan Silva  wrote:

warhawk
9 years ago
Thompson is known for retaining the players he wants and needs to keep so a lot of this will get cleaned up shortly. I think it's the end for Hawk, Jones, and Quarless as these cuts would add several million to the cofer and allow Ted to resign more valuable players. I think Peppers will be asked to renegotiate his contract as well. He won't get $12 mil anywhere else and find a team with a better chance to get a ring.
I disagree with the statement that Barrington and Lattimore "failed". I expect both to have productive seasons coming up. Also,
Mathews is not done playing inside some. They are better on early downs with Clay in and Perry outside and not just because Clay is better than anybody they have inside. Perry is pretty darn good out there.
Ted will resign both Bulaga and Cobb. Won't be cheap but Ted's not letting them go.
He will also resign Guion and/or Raji.
He will not let both Williams and House walk.

I know the great FA debate will surface but I would be happy with just resigning the players we need to keep this team moving forward. We do that and Teddy has another good draft and we will be the team to beat.
"The train is leaving the station."
sschind
9 years ago
It seems some of our biggest needs (according to silva) coincide with our free agents which is a good thing. As warhawk said Ted Thompson is known for finding a way to keep the players he wants to keep. Resigning Bulaga will help reduce the need on the OL and resigning either William or House (I think we will keep one of them for sure) will reduce that need as well. The same can be said for the DL. I think we keep either Guion or Raji or even both as I can't believe they will be too expensive. That leave TE and ILB IMO that are the biggest needs we can't address in house.

I'm not saying our FAs are absolutely the answer but I do think the more issues you can address in house by signing your own guys the easier it makes the rest of your off season. If we can sign at least 4 of our guys (Cobb, Bulaga, Williams or House, Raji or Guion) which I think will be more than possible I think we will be in pretty good shape.
nerdmann
9 years ago
Raji and Guion come back.

Barrington, Nate Palmer and that rookie, Bradford (I forget his name) all get a shot inside. Lattimore probably does too, although it will be his last. Ted will draft someone high to fill this position, the rest will get a shot to stick as depth.

Peppers will renegotiate and come back on a pitch count.

Tramon and House will both get offers, whoever makes the better deal will come back.

Cobb should come back to play with Aaron. He'll get a "Ted Thompson Special" contract, which will seem like a blockbuster at the time, but within 2 years as the cap increases will look like a bargain, and Cobb is only 24, so the deal could be for several years.

Bulaga will test the market and may get a deal, but Barclay and Tretter will provide potential depth there. But I do expect Bulaga to return, especially given his injury history. Another "Ted Thompson Special," but to a lesser degree.

Our biggest needs in order are ILB, and TE, but we could use some depth on the Dline. Maybe a kick returner too, although I expect Abbrederis to step up next year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Hands Team, LB, OL, NT
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
musccy
9 years ago

I disagree with the statement that Barrington and Lattimore "failed".

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I also don't understand how an undrafted free agent (Bostick) is an underachiever and I don't see how you can conclude already that Rodgers is a bust.

Anyway, good summary and post, Warhawk.

nerdmann
9 years ago

I also don't understand how an undrafted free agent (Bostick) is an underachiever and I don't see how you can conclude already that Rodgers is a bust.

Anyway, good summary and post, Warhawk.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Bostick has the tools to have stepped up this year, but did not do so. Low risk, high potential reward, but hasn't panned out yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
9 years ago

Bostick has the tools to have stepped up this year, but did not do so. Low risk, high potential reward, but hasn't panned out yet.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Agreed...I'm just commenting on the article referring to him as an underachiever. How is a UDFA an underachiever?

Fan Shout
beast (7h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (7h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (7h) : fuck
beast (8h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (8h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (9h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (9h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (9h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (10h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (11h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (11h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (11h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (11h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.