TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

so we cut Quarless then. No sense keeping him around if he is not a safe target. If the guy is on the field he you have to use him or be confident that you can use him or else WTF is he doing there. It really cuts into your play calling options if you look at your play chart then say "oh shit, we can't call that Quarless is in there"

Originally Posted by: sschind 

UserPostedImage

porky88
9 years ago

I got in a debate with someone on here 2 weeks ago complaining the Packers ran on 2nd, 3rd, and then kicked 4th and 1 from the goal.

My issue is that what I so often read here or elsewhere is analysis that essentially boils down to did the play work Y/N? If it worked and you ran/passed - your run/pass was brilliant. If it failed and you ran/passed - you're a moron or not aggressive enough. How bad would Carroll have looked if Wilson was sacked at the end of the 1st half and they didn't even get 3 points. Well it worked so he's smart now (or at least as of halftime).

On Mike and Mike this morning, I think they said Lynch had something like 9 1st and goal from the 1 attempts this year for 5 yards. As I said elsewhere, there were 109 1st and 1 pass attempts in the NFL this year....1 interception. Was the play really that risky?

As far as the put it in your best player's hands thoughts. I agree to an extent, but if you have a nice new Audi you don't drive it in the snowstorm just because it's your prettiest car. Lacy or Wilson aren't chopped liver. In the Packers' case, Lacy killed clock and timeouts in a 12 point game. I'm not saying a first down wouldn't have greatly helped the Packers, just that it's not as bad an approach as it's being made out to be. In the case of Wilson, although it was intended to be a snap decision, you still have the ball in the hands of one of the most elusive QBs in the NFL if the slant wasn't there.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Look, I didn't throw McCarthy under the bus after the Seattle game. We did the run, run, throw thing in our five-minute offense all season. I believe we did it to the New England Patriots and it worked then. As mentioned, Quarless had a play on a third-down ball and failed to catch it. The Packers didn't just execute. I do have some issues with how McCarthy managed the game early, but there wasn't just one person responsible for what happened in Seattle. The crime there had more than one criminal.

Last night was more of an isolated instance. That’s why I don’t think you can compare the two. This play wasn‘t executed well, sure, but the coaching was not up to par in this situation.

How many of those 109 first and one pass attempts were an inside slant involving a so-called legal pick? Why not go with a play-action pass? Why not call a fade or back shoulder? Even if you agree with throwing on second down, Seattle had better plays in their arsenal to run there.

With that said, I fully understand what Seattle was thinking. I don’t agree with it. They didn’t want to have to take a timeout after second down. For example, if New England stuffs Lynch on second down, they have to use their final timeout. That makes third down a throwing situation. You can’t disguise anything then. Plus, a sack by New England ends the game. They feared that situation, in my assessment.

The thought process was that pass, run, timeout, and run makes more sense than run, timeout, pass, and run.

To me, Seattle was overtly cautious in that situation because they worried about New England too much. All they had to do was worry about the guys in their huddle. Play to your strengths. Put the ball in the hands of your best player. You and I had the discussion last week, so you know how highly I think of Lynch. As I said, sometimes a bad call is just a bad call. This was a bad call.
sschind
9 years ago

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I was expecting something like that but its a good one. Its not the same IMO. In BB its much easier to set up a play to get your best guy the ball. In basketball you call the play and put your best guy on the receiving end of the play you call so you can get him the ball. In football you call the play and whoever is in the position to make the play is counted on to make the play. If the play you call, ie the one you think will work, is a pass to the TE coming off the line you are not going to line Jordy Nelson up at TE just because he is a better receiver. Or maybe you should forgo that play and call a different one that will go to Jordy because he is a better player. Of course if you do that you might as well cut out all the plays to the TE then. If coaches thought like that the only guys who would have TD catches would be Nelson and Cobb.
Porforis
9 years ago

Do you honestly KNOW the Packers would have converted 4th and 1 or would have converted in the 4th passing (keep in mind Quarless dropped a 3rd and 4 pvs. drive)?

Mike runs in the 4th...he's a wuss. Carroll passes in the 4th, he's a moron. Sure glad I'm not an NFL HC...damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

You don't get it do you? If I were an NFL head coach I would always make the right calls and if I didn't, it's because the players didn't deliver and lord knows player performance would NEVER be held against me.
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
[TWITTER]563715748234006529/photo/1[/TWITTER]

:eeeek:
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Cheesey
9 years ago
Wow.......can I blame the Packers for the diarhea I had after the NFC title game???dink
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (49m) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (50m) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (51m) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (12h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (12h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.