Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
Packers buy in to science of modern NFL 

Packers return to work well-rested...and well hydrated? 

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
sschind
9 years ago
It is a little difficult know what is really going on based simply on Aaron's comments because we really don't know how much, if any, leeway is built in. Say you want your QB at 225 pounds and 8% body fat. Is he going to be OK at 230 and 9%? Is that really going to hurt his play, I don't think so.

Weekly weigh ins are needed to keep that 230 from going to 235 and then 240 but if the players are so worried about not making weight that they are doing unsafe things to their bodies to make it then what good is it really accomplishing.

set the weight and give them a certain percentage they can be over (1%, 1.5%, 2%) and make it a 1 week thing. If you are 2 pounds over this week you had better be under next week. That way a guy who has a week where maybe he is involved in a few events that cause him to pack on a couple of extra pounds knows he doesn't have to bust his ass and dehydrate himself to lose it by tomorrows weigh in.

For all we know maybe that is what is in place and for whatever reason Aaron was either too much over that he need to lose the weight or just got a little careless who knows. Weekly monitoring with common sense goals and expectations will be enough for the vast majority of players to stay in game shape. Most of them know how their bodies react better than the coaches and trainers anyway.

Like someone said its not wrestling and its not as if you can't suit up if you are 5 pounds over your ideal playing weight.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
I wonder what McCarthy's percent of body fat is hahahaha.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
dhazer
9 years ago
Is it just me or does it sure seem that Rodgers is throwing alot of blame towards MM? Is he going to become Favre 2.0 and start wanting to decide who they sign.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

How hard can that possibly be for a person who's job is their body?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If it's below you're body's natural weight then extremely hard. That's why some wrestlers and fighters struggle to make weight or just say screw it and go up to a higher weight.

Though I seriously hope Mike McCarthy isn't doing based on height and weight alone as that form of doing it has been proven very unreliable especially with unique body types (which the NFL has a ton of), but he probably knows that and doesn't do it completely that way. And of course as some have suggested with Mike Neal in the past, sometimes focusing on working out too much can lead to too much muscle getting that body builder style look which can be a body that's breaks easier. So there should be a mix of stuff, of course I'm guessing they'd just suggest more cardio and less weights in that sort of case.

UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

Is it just me or does it sure seem that Rodgers is throwing alot of blame towards MM? Is he going to become Favre 2.0 and start wanting to decide who they sign.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

I Don't want to read too much into a few snippets and quotes, but he sort of went after Mike McCarthy after the nfcg and this comment too... both seem favre-esque. That said, it's really not a lot to go off of.
sschind
9 years ago

If it's below you're body's natural weight then extremely hard. That's why some wrestlers and fighters struggle to make weight or just say screw it and go up to a higher weight.

Though I seriously hope Mike McCarthy isn't doing based on height and weight alone as that form of doing it has been proven very unreliable especially with unique body types (which the NFL has a ton of), but he probably knows that and doesn't do it completely that way. And of course as some have suggested with Mike Neal in the past, sometimes focusing on working out too much can lead to too much muscle getting that body builder style look which can be a body that's breaks easier. So there should be a mix of stuff, of course I'm guessing they'd just suggest more cardio and less weights in that sort of case.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Between high school and college (I took 2 years off) I was down to about 12%. I'd hate to see what I am at now. Lets just say I can definitely pinch more than an inch. You older guys and special K fans will know what that means.

Like you said beast everyone's body has a natural point it wants to be at based mainly on genetics but also on fitness levels. It can be difficult to move off that by very much, especially down. I know it didn't take me long after I quit working out to shoot back up. Much quicker than it took me to get down that's for sure.

Dulak
9 years ago

This has been in place for 8 years now? It's not like Mike announced for the first time ever in late May that if they don't make weight at OTAs they're off the team. If he had been watching what he was eating the rest of the week(s) maybe he wouldn't have to worry about not hydrating at the last minute in order to make weight.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: musccy 

My wife says rodgers looks fat and often gangly looking in his gear not the look of someone making millions ...

Gilligan
9 years ago
“It’s no big deal. I think it’s probably just water weight,” said Rodgers

UserPostedImage

“I’ve seen it happen before,” said coach Mike McCarthy. “A player gets a huge payday, and they become complacent in their training. Though frankly I’ve never witnessed it occur quite to this extent. My god, I watched him devour an entire honey-glazed ham for breakfast.”

“He’s pretty gross,” echoed defensive tackle B.J. Raji.

Rodgers, however, continues to deny that his added mass is the result of poor dietary habits.

“Look, sometimes our bodies just sort of naturally bulk up, okay?
No one really knows why.
Is it my system’s way of reacting to the Wisconsin winters? Maybe.
Is it nature’s way of buffering me against the collisions of professional football? Could be.
Does it have anything to do with the seven deep fried Twinkies covered in hot fudge I ate for dinner last night? Possibly.

Unfortunately, medical science isn’t able to answer these questions for us just yet.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go hit the Golden Corral buffet before they run out of their cheesy bacon potato skins.”

Rodgers satire 

I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.