PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
First, finally scrap the outside Zone blocking for good. It hasn't worked very well ever since McCarthy brought it here, far to often our Oline is blocking on our side of the LOS rather than the defenses side on run plays and our line gets beat to the edge far too often. The outside zone also does not give the option for Counter plays.

Second, get Rodgers back under C for at least 50% of the snaps if not more. When you have a back like Lacy, you have to maximize the benefit he can have on play action. Out of the short gun and the delayed handoff, LBers can sit back a little and react. If Rodgers is under Center, as soon as the ball is snapped the LBers have to react immediately to the chance of Lacy getting the ball. They don't want to be first meeting him at 3 or 4 yards on their side. So the middle field behind them should open up a little for R.Rodgers and our WR.

Third, get the damn play called and lined up so we are not always snapping the ball with 1 second on the play clock, pass rushers see that play clock getting close they are going to get a better jump on the ball. For all the talk about the pace of the offense, we had to take far to many time outs because of the clock. And once in a while, just snap the ball rather than the same fake snap in order to get the defense to show their hand. The defense knows what is going on, so they are faking what they are doing anyway. So get to the line and instead of the fake snap, actually snap the ball and drive them off the ball getting a cheap 5 yards or so, doing so, will enable the hard count to be more effective latter on.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Red zone efficiency and increased role for Richard Rodgers
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Bigbyfan
9 years ago
I want to see a legitimate red zone threat, either through the draft or free agency. Give me a player that's at least 6'3.

Too many times we took 3 points instead of 7 after getting inside the 10 yard line.
blank
beast
9 years ago

First, finally scrap the outside Zone blocking for good. It hasn't worked very well ever since McCarthy brought it here, far to often our Oline is blocking on our side of the LOS rather than the defenses side on run plays and our line gets beat to the edge far too often. The outside zone also does not give the option for Counter plays.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I think when properly executed the zone blocking worked better than fans give it credit for (which is why they were doing it), just that fans don't take notice of the blocking as often when it works, just when it fails.

I think the outside zone gives the RB the option to go to the outside, which gets the defense to flow and often times over flow, giving to where if the OL can effectively get a cut block in there to opens a big/huge cut back lane which if the RBs see they can cut it up and make a good amount of yardage. Which the Packers used very effectively at times later in the season but struggled with earlier in the season with.

Also think the outside zone plays are better for a RB with speed, which just isn't Lacy. I think when they expect to run a lot of it, they might need to go with a faster RB and mix Lacy in as a back-up / change up.

I remember when the Broncos power RBs went down with injuries, they had to use speed/quickness backs and talked about it giving them an extra dimension they didn't have before, because they had to worry about speed from the RBs. I think that's something the Packers seriously lack... though Starks flashes some once in a while. But yes they can break tackles, but normally you don't feel a threat of them going for a very long run and can focus on Rodgers, even with a speed back they'll focus on Rodgers but it'll open a homerun threat at RB.

Third, get the damn play called and lined up so we are not always snapping the ball with 1 second on the play clock, pass rushers see that play clock getting close they are going to get a better jump on the ball. For all the talk about the pace of the offense, we had to take far to many time outs because of the clock. And once in a while, just snap the ball rather than the same fake snap in order to get the defense to show their hand. The defense knows what is going on, so they are faking what they are doing anyway. So get to the line and instead of the fake snap, actually snap the ball and drive them off the ball getting a cheap 5 yards or so, doing so, will enable the hard count to be more effective latter on.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I COMPLETELY agree here!!!! Often times it seemed like they'd line up, and by the time Rodgers was done playing games (which are very important at times) it was within 5 seconds and as you said some defenses finally picked up on this, and started giving fake looks/actions until 5 seconds and then change up. I forget which game, but I remember one game where the DTs were basically in an easy to hold passive stance until about 5 seconds where they would switch into a more aggressive harder to hold/stay in stance but gets more power out when you fire out, basically they were conserving energy knowing it wasn't going to happen right away.

Got to mix it up more... sometimes snaps it right away with little to no read to surprise them. Other times try to draw them off side, and make them wait.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
I want to see a team that doesn't have a mental block, and that doesn't out-think itself.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.