porky88
9 years ago

Somehow I think this is part of the game of chicken so to speak.. Cobb has to be looking at the QB's around the league and thinking that anyone willing to pay insane money will probably have a QB issue and his production will dip and so will his chances of securing a second (and probably last) big contract. Or he can stay in a system designed to leverage his talents and have confidence that his production will stay up.. maximizing his marketability for that next contract.

Look at what Jennings and Jones have done outside of GB.. walked into a bad QB situation in which they tried to fix in a backwards fashion. There next contract is going to be tough to seek good money, although one could argue Jennings offset that with this contract.

My opinion, if you are in a good position upon a good football team for take slightly less to ensure long term earning viability in a non guaranteed league. Long term thinking.

I am sure that the thinking isn't to just let him walk.. but instead really thinking that the demands at this point are too steep and hoping that it is adjusted in FA. It is a risk to getting blown out of the water by some crazy money.. I just don't think the market is going to be that strong for WR.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

When is the market never crazy? Given his youth and production, I think a couple of teams will offer him a crazy amount of money.

Does he really want to play with Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater instead of Aaron Rodgers? That's got to be the question he's asking himself. He could take a bit less money to remain with the Packers on a four-year deal, and still break the bank four years later at the tender age of 28.

steveishere
9 years ago

Cobb isn't your prototypical slot WR. He could absolutely start on half the teams in the leauge, but that'd be a waste of his physical abilities.

No idea why the Packers wouldn't sign him for $9M a year.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Yes he is. He plays pretty much exclusively from the slot much moreso than any other slot WR. He really doesn't have the length or long speed to excel outside that's why he never plays out there.
lolleren
9 years ago
I maintain that at 9m we should let him walk, i think it is wise to let him test the market, because he might not get that since it is a top heavy year for FA, and he is a slot WR.
Slot receivers should not warrant wr1 money.
If someone is willing to pay him 9-10m a year, let them we will pick up that 3 round draft pick next year.
blank
Pack93z
9 years ago

When is the market never crazy? Given his youth and production, I think a couple of teams will offer him a crazy amount of money.

Does he really want to play with Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater instead of Aaron Rodgers? That's got to be the question he's asking himself. He could take a bit less money to remain with the Packers on a four-year deal, and still break the bank four years later at the tender age of 28.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Agreed... I think the question is long term thinking for Cobb.. or should be.

But the money to WR, especially UFA isn't as great as it appears.. that is if the desired contract by Cobb is 12mil/yr.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cash/wide-receiver/ 

UserPostedImage

Mike Wallace is at the top of that heap and there isn't a person that thinks that contract was good the day it was signed.. the rest.. Greg Jennings money. Hence why I think the Packers are gambling a bit here.. let him find that contract in a year when Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant and Torrey Smith may also be on the market. Guessing that the pecking order has Cobb in the company of these three. I expect each of those three to sit in that Greg Jennings type area in terms of a contract. Will three or four get monster deals?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
steveishere
9 years ago
Also some are assuming Cobb doesn't prefer to hit FA. If you were him wouldn't you? A bunch of you seem to think the market for his services is going to go through the roof then act like he's the one jumping to get a deal done before FA starts. If the first part is the case then what on earth would be his incentive to sign before it starts? LIS if Cobb doesn't end up in GB I really really doubt it will be because GB didn't offer him a fair deal.
dhazer
9 years ago
Believe it or not but the Packers are rumored into the Percy Harvin hunt along with the Pats. Cobb will collect a huge deal in free agency and he won't think twice about it. I mean everyone sucks that don't play for the Packers right.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Porforis
9 years ago

Yes he is. He plays pretty much exclusively from the slot much moreso than any other slot WR. He really doesn't have the length or long speed to excel outside that's why he never plays out there.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I don't get how the logic of assigning value based on whether you play outside or in the slot works. Should we give Davonte Adams $9M before we give Cobb 9M? Should Adams be getting more than Cobb, period since Adams can play outside and Cobb apparently can't?

Cobb was #12 in the league in yards, tied for #10 in TDs, #4 in 20+ yard receptions, #6 in YAC last year. Sure, pitted against a #1 CB his productivity would drop but still #1 WR numbers.

WRs with contracts in the 8M-10M/year range are:

Brandon Marshall
Jordy Nelson
Andre Johnson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Pierre Garcon
Antonio Brown
DeSean Jackson

Cobb's productivity is notably better than Jackson's (8M/Year), about on par with Brown (8.4M/year), and a step behind Jordy Nelson (9.7M/year). Nobody else on that list is anywhere close.

I think we can all agree 12M is nuts. 9M is perfectly fair based on how often he's catching balls thrown his way, the YAC and yardage, and the TDs. If you want to pay him less because he plays in the slot (because he makes way more of a mismatch there versus lining up opposite Nelson, AND because they like having him in the backfield and motioning him into the slot), I guess I just don't get it. Pay the guys who bring home the bacon.
sschind
9 years ago

It just seemed to me that this playoff loss was the last straw for Cobb.

He wants to be on a team that's not gonna piss it all away season after season.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'll would wait to see who he signs with before I jumped to that conclusion.
steveishere
9 years ago

I don't get how the logic of assigning value based on whether you play outside or in the slot works. Should we give Davonte Adams $9M before we give Cobb 9M? Should Adams be getting more than Cobb, period since Adams can play outside and Cobb apparently can't?

Cobb was #12 in the league in yards, tied for #10 in TDs, #4 in 20+ yard receptions, #6 in YAC last year. Sure, pitted against a #1 CB his productivity would drop but still #1 WR numbers.

WRs with contracts in the 8M-10M/year range are:

Brandon Marshall
Jordy Nelson
Andre Johnson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Pierre Garcon
Antonio Brown
DeSean Jackson

Cobb's productivity is notably better than Jackson's (8M/Year), about on par with Brown (8.4M/year), and a step behind Jordy Nelson (9.7M/year). Nobody else on that list is anywhere close.

I think we can all agree 12M is nuts. 9M is perfectly fair based on how often he's catching balls thrown his way, the YAC and yardage, and the TDs. If you want to pay him less because he plays in the slot (because he makes way more of a mismatch there versus lining up opposite Nelson, AND because they like having him in the backfield and motioning him into the slot), I guess I just don't get it. Pay the guys who bring home the bacon.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

because they don't play the same positions they have different roles and face diffirent coverages. Outside WRs get paid more because they face tougher coverages and typically better players. Cobb spends a significant amount of his time being covered by LBs or Ss which is an easier task than getting open vs the other teams #1 corner or a corner + safety. It's not as simple as a wr = a wr and that's that. There is a premium on #1 outside WRs for a reason. If Cobb was as good as Jordy Nelson as an outside WR he wouldn't be playing in the slot he'd be outside and Adams would be in the slot because it's simply more valuable and harder to find those players. Maybe you don't agree with how the NFL values these guys but from what I can tell that's pretty much how it works.

My personal opinion on 9m/year is I would be ok with it but that's in the range where I let him hit FA and see what other teams think. If his market isn't what he thought it would be and you get him for 9m or less then great if someone overpays him more than that then see ya later. Though I'm not one of the people treating that 9m story like it's gospel either, I think Cobb WANTS to test FA and it's not as simple as if we offer him 9m he'll immediately sign.
sschind
9 years ago
The problem with letting players test the market is sometimes they don't give you the chance to match the offers they get.

In a perfect world Cobb would go out and get offers and then come back to the Packers and say what can you do with this. If he gets an offer he likes he might just say screw it, I like Oakland and the Packers didn't want to give me a chance so as long as I'm here I might as well sign.

Actually in a perfect world the Packers would say you want 9 million we will give you 9 million and Cobb would be a Packer for 4 more years.

I do think Bulaga is probably a higher priority but I consider them both high priorities and I do think they could afford them both if they really wanted them.

Truth be told I'm getting a little tired of the "ted is drafting them and Aaron is throwing to them so anyone will be fine" attitude.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.