sschind
9 years ago

Davante may have had an "up and down" rookie season, but he did heads and tails more than either Greg Jennings or James Jones did as rookies. And they turned out pretty good.

The same could be said about Richard Rodgers, compared to Finley.

They will both be more than fine. However the fact is Cobb WANTS to test the market. He's got the potential to get PAID in a major way. Coming back he'd get more years with Aaron, but IMO he seemed really disgusted after that playoff loss. Can't say I blame him either.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

where did you get the idea that Cobb WANTS to test the market? Just because you think he seemed very disgusted about the playoff loss that means he wants out? I'm sure everyone was pretty disgusted about the playoff loss. Does that mean they all want out? To the extent that I bet every player wants to test the market I would agree but If the Packers made Cobb a deal that he thought was fair I bet he would sign. It doesn't sound like the Packers are willing to even make the attempt and to me that is very risky. To let him test the market without even making an offer is very risky. If I'm a player in that situation and another team makes me an offer I think is fair (lets just use the 9 million that came up a while back) I might just say OK, that's what I was looking for lets get it done. Part of my thinking would be the other guys didn't think enough of me to even make an offer and these guys are willing to give me what I want so why not go with these guys. The question of loyalty is outthe window because the Packers showed no loyalty so why expect the player to. The question of playing with a MVP QB vs a slug is valid but who is to say the team making the offer has a slug for a QB. A lot of people are expecting big things from Carr and Bridgewater and maybe it would be Seattle or the Patriots making the offer.

If someone offers Cobb 11 or 12 million then yeah, I say buh bye and thanks but for 9 or even 10 (or maybe just more guaranteed) I say you are stupid for not at least making an offer.

We will be better with Cobb and we can afford him at his rumored asking price. To not even make him an offer IMO is not smart. When something like that happens a small part of me almost hopes he ends up signing with Cleveland for 7 million and the Packers end up sitting there going "we would have given him more than that." Too bad, you had yet another chance and you let that one slip by as well.

shield4life
9 years ago
To be honest if I'm going to be throwing away 12 million on a slot receiver. I might as well add 3 million on top and get myself Dez Bryant instead.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
DakotaT
9 years ago

Oh Shit I think North Dakota has made it to 90 degrees because I am agreeing with Dakota lol. Spend the money on defense and you will win trophies, look at Baltimore and their 2 trophies. Give Cobb 9 million a year for 4 years if he declines then you say ✋

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

We agree on a lot more than you think. I'm not the backward ass knuckledragger you fright wingers are. It's the 21st century, start acting like it.

There's no way in hell Cobb deserves 9 million a year. He doesn't stretch defenses, and he can be covered by a good corner. He is a very good possession receiver, something that Belicheck seems to find out of scrap heap piles repeatedly. Cobb's statistics are inflated because the guy throwing him the ball.
UserPostedImage
Gilligan
9 years ago

There's no way in hell Cobb deserves 9 million a year. He doesn't stretch defenses, and he can be covered by a good corner. He is a very good possession receiver, something that Belicheck seems to find out of scrap heap piles repeatedly. Cobb's statistics are inflated because the guy throwing him the ball.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Cobb is indeed very good but he's not elite and not worth 9 million per. 7-8 million per is about his ceiling in my opinion.

Do you want to win or not Randall?....if not take the money on a bad team.
If you want to contend year in year out, stay in Green Bay.
If you want to put up serious numbers and be used creatively stay in Green Bay.
You're only 24, go for the money next time around, even if it is to a suck team like the Vikings ala Jennings.

Not to mention that with Adams showing flashes in his rookie year, Boykin still developing, and with Jeff Janis and Abredaris in the wings, Packers could probably cut ties with Cobb and be OK.

I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
DakotaT
9 years ago

Not to mention that with Adams showing flashes in his rookie year, Boykin still developing, and with Jeff Janis and Abredaris in the wings, Packers could probably cut ties with Cobb and be OK.

Originally Posted by: Gilligan 

Agreed!
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
9 years ago
This is just my speculation, but I don't believe it will be as difficult to resign Cobb as it may seem right now. The reason is due to the fact that there looks to a good amount of big name (although older) receivers who may be cut for salary cap reasons.

The possible cuts:

Brandon Marshall
Andre Johnson
Mike Wallace
Percy Harvin
Vincent Jackson
Pierre Garcon
Anquan Boldin
Greg Jennings
Harry Douglas (already cut)
Marques Colston
Dwayne Bowe

The majority of these guys still have quality football left in the tank. Football teams would be able to acquire these players for both cheaper yearly salaries AND less years, possibly 1-2 year deals. This may seem a lot more appealing to teams than dishing out tens of millions in guarantees for 5-6 years. You've seen teams like the patriots and ravens do this in the past.

Another bonus of signing one of these guys, instead of the Cobb's and Maclins of FA, is that the team would not lose a compensatory pick because these guys were released.

Look for the traditionally smart teams to go this route. I'm kinda surprised these points haven't been brought up more often.
blank
GermanGilbert
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: Gilligan 

WHAT??? That's the quote of the day :D

2013: 49 catches, 681 yds, 3 TDs
2014: 3 catches, 21 yds, 0 TDs

Really hope not all of the WRs are developing like him. :signduh: Dude is gone for sure.

When you have Aaron at his prime, don't speculate who might be good or could be good in 5 years, sign the guy that worked out with Aaron and is on the same page with him. We cannot afford any experimental stuff.

blank
nerdmann
9 years ago

where did you get the idea that Cobb WANTS to test the market? Just because you think he seemed very disgusted about the playoff loss that means he wants out? I'm sure everyone was pretty disgusted about the playoff loss. Does that mean they all want out? To the extent that I bet every player wants to test the market I would agree but If the Packers made Cobb a deal that he thought was fair I bet he would sign. It doesn't sound like the Packers are willing to even make the attempt and to me that is very risky. To let him test the market without even making an offer is very risky. If I'm a player in that situation and another team makes me an offer I think is fair (lets just use the 9 million that came up a while back) I might just say OK, that's what I was looking for lets get it done. Part of my thinking would be the other guys didn't think enough of me to even make an offer and these guys are willing to give me what I want so why not go with these guys. The question of loyalty is outthe window because the Packers showed no loyalty so why expect the player to. The question of playing with a MVP QB vs a slug is valid but who is to say the team making the offer has a slug for a QB. A lot of people are expecting big things from Carr and Bridgewater and maybe it would be Seattle or the Patriots making the offer.

If someone offers Cobb 11 or 12 million then yeah, I say buh bye and thanks but for 9 or even 10 (or maybe just more guaranteed) I say you are stupid for not at least making an offer.

We will be better with Cobb and we can afford him at his rumored asking price. To not even make him an offer IMO is not smart. When something like that happens a small part of me almost hopes he ends up signing with Cleveland for 7 million and the Packers end up sitting there going "we would have given him more than that." Too bad, you had yet another chance and you let that one slip by as well.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

If we don't shit ourselves there, we win it all. A guy like Cobb maybe takes a hometown discount to come back and play for another ring.

But that's not what happened. In fact, judging by his demeanor after that game, he might want EXTRA to stay.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago
I don't think Minnesota really needs Cobb, but what do the cap situations look like in Miami, Oakland, Kansas City and Seattle?

All four teams have former Packers front office personnell as GMs, or a former Packers HC, and I know Seattle lost Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin, so they'll be looking. Raiders are looking to stock the cupboards for David Carr too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
greengold
9 years ago
It looks like the market is flooded with wide receivers right now. Cobb is going to find that out and hopefully he will be back for a deal that is fair to all.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.