porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
Major changes have already come to Green Bay in 2015. Coach Mike McCarthy will no longer call plays, believing he can better manage the game without the added responsibility of play calling. Tom Clements will assume those duties following his promotion to associate head coach. Receivers coach Edgar Bennett is now the team’s offensive coordinator.

The changes, coming in the wake of the collapse in Seattle, were surprising. McCarthy has always prided himself on being the team’s play-caller, so for him to give up those duties suggests a bit of soul searching was done since the season ended.

These changes will mean very little, though, if the Packers fail to execute a sensible offseason plan, so I've narrowed this offseason down to three simple steps. Here's a look at what it consists of.

1. Re-sign Randall Cobb

A recent report suggested Cobb, 24, is looking for a deal that’ll pay him an annual salary of $9 million. He’d be worth every penny. Next to Aaron Rodgers, there is no other player more valuable to the offense. Yes, that includes Jordy Nelson. If you combine Cobb’s regular-season stats with his playoff stats, then his and Nelson’s numbers are nearly identical. In 18 games, Cobb caught 106 passes for 1,465 yards and 13 touchdowns while Nelson caught 105 passes for 1,612 yards and 13 touchdowns. More important, Cobb came through in the clutch. It’s not a coincidence that a Rodgers completion to Cobb cemented Green Bay’s two biggest victories of the season.

Facing the Patriots in week 11, Rodgers found Cobb for a seven-yard gain to convert a third-and-5 with two minutes remaining. The Patriots, without any timeouts, were unable to stop the clock. The same situation played out against Dallas in the playoffs, except Rodgers connected with Cobb for a gain of 12 yards on third-and-11. Like the Patriots before them, the Cowboys had no more timeouts. These conversations weren’t simple pitch and catches, either. Cobb made both catches in traffic, exhibiting terrific concentration in the process. Perhaps the most notable play of his career came in 2013. With the NFC North title on the line in Chicago, Rodgers and Cobb connected on a 66-yard touchdown with 1:43 remaining.

Many mistakenly believe the Packers are prepared to move on from him because they selected Davante Adams and Jeff Janis in the 2014 draft. Neither Adams nor Janis has a skill set that compares with his, though. In fact, they’re much more comparable to James Jones who worked better as a split end or flanker. Cobb works the slot, possibly better than any receiver in the NFL does. He’s also capable of lining up in the backfield, something McCarthy frequently did with him when he wanted to spark his offense. Letting go a young, homegrown receiver held in high regard by coaches and the front office would be uncharacteristic of Ted Thompson.

2. Re-sign Bryan Bulaga

One of the valid criticisms of Thompson’s tenure as general manager has been his inability to field a solid offensive line. That critique fell on its face last season. For the first time since 2003-04, the Packers produced an offensive line without a glairing weakness. The guard tandem of Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang is perhaps the best in the league, while rookie center Corey Linsley played like an all-pro. David Bakhtiari is an improving left tackle, and Bulaga re-established himself as one of the better right tackles in the game. The rapport this offensive line has established might be short-lived, though. Bulaga is an unrestricted free agent.

He is a balanced tackle, equally effective as a pass and run blocker. A team my feel incline to give him a shot at left tackle given the woeful market for the position. Such a move would surely drive up his cost, which should already be hefty enough. After years of fans fretting over the offensive line, it’d be heartbreaking to see a promising unit broken up after just one season together. It may happen. The Packers are a frugal organization. It’s unlikely they’ll give left tackle money to a right tackle.

3. Upgrade the Middle of the Defense

The middle of Green Bay’s defense was a liability in 2014. They finished No. 20 against the run, despite playing substantially better after using Clay Matthews inside in the season's second half. Nevertheless, Dallas running back DeMarco Murray and Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch still gashed Green Bay in the postseason.

A new nose tackle and at least one -- possibly two -- new inside linebackers would improve the defense dramatically. The draft offers many suitable options. With the No. 30 overall pick, the Packers are in prime position to land an inside linebacker capable of making an immediate impact.

Nose tackle is a bit more complicated. Thompson could use his first-round pick on Oklahoma’s Jordan Phillips, but a defensive lineman’s transition to the NFL is difficult. It usually takes a few years before they begin making an impact. Therefore, if the Packers select a defensive lineman with its top pick, they are probably thinking about 2016 and beyond rather than 2015. Perhaps they’ll try their hand at free agency for the second consecutive offseason.

http://www.row12.com/article/2848/NFC_North_Offseason_Forecast/ 
warhawk
9 years ago
I look at Cobb and Bulaga as neck to neck if not more of a lean towards Bulaga. It took years to build a good OL and considering it "all starts up front" especially looking at who the QB is in this case. With Bulaga and resigning Barclay to swing to either side if needed there is very solid depth there. Without Bulaga it gets very iffy fast.

Cobb is obviously a huge factor and many here point out how Packer WR's in the past have taken time to contribute. I look at this more as they haven't been asked to contribute due to the depth of the position and have been allowed to develope and work their way into a role. There are plenty of first year WR's that come into this league and make an impact from early on and they don't have a QB like Arod getting them the ball. Ted's also had a far better track record finding WR's than he has OL without a doubt.

The other thing is if Cobby gets a deal Ted Thompson just cannot pull the trigger to match there will be a lot of MONEY sitting there and Ted can use that to bolster not only WR but maybe also in the middle of that D. Now that Jones and Hawk are both gone there is definately a need for a veteran ILB to be brought in.

Obviously getting 3 out of three on your list would be awesome, however, IMO if that's not going to happen I would want to see the OL remain intact and to get better in the middle of that D. Iv'e seen other teams lose good slot receivers and they were able to figure out a plan B without the offense suffering a whole lot. I guess I just see more of those guys out there than I do really good ILB'rs, NT's, or OT's.

"The train is leaving the station."
yooperfan
9 years ago

I look at Cobb and Bulaga as neck to neck if not more of a lean towards Bulaga. It took years to build a good OL and considering it "all starts up front" especially looking at who the QB is in this case. With Bulaga and resigning Barclay to swing to either side if needed there is very solid depth there. Without Bulaga it gets very iffy fast.

Cobb is obviously a huge factor and many here point out how Packer WR's in the past have taken time to contribute. I look at this more as they haven't been asked to contribute due to the depth of the position and have been allowed to develope and work their way into a role. There are plenty of first year WR's that come into this league and make an impact from early on and they don't have a QB like Arod getting them the ball. Ted's also had a far better track record finding WR's than he has OL without a doubt.

The other thing is if Cobby gets a deal Ted Thompson just cannot pull the trigger to match there will be a lot of MONEY sitting there and Ted can use that to bolster not only WR but maybe also in the middle of that D. Now that Jones and Hawk are both gone there is definately a need for a veteran ILB to be brought in.

Obviously getting 3 out of three on your list would be awesome, however, IMO if that's not going to happen I would want to see the OL remain intact and to get better in the middle of that D. Iv'e seen other teams lose good slot receivers and they were able to figure out a plan B without the offense suffering a whole lot. I guess I just see more of those guys out there than I do really good ILB'rs, NT's, or OT's.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Very well reasoned warhawk.
That deserves a huge round of applause.

porky88
  • porky88
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I think people are having trouble acknowledging that Green Bay has enough money to do everything you said. Money isn’t an issue. They’re $33 million under the cap. They can re-sign Cobb, Bulaga, and go out into free agency and sign a couple of guys. Jordan Cameron or Jermaine Gresham isn’t going to cost lot money. Neither will Brandon Spikes.

What’s the payoff to having all this cap room? Thompson has done a magnificent job at managing the cap, but he hasn’t done so just so Green Bay can be 10s of millions of dollars under the cap each year. I assume he had the foresight to see an offseason where he’d have two marquee guys with expiring contracts. Well, we’re here. We’re also prepared. So let’s deal with it.
DakotaT
9 years ago
Give all that money to Suh and let our front seven start dominating.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Sign and Trade Randall Cobb for WR Andre Johnson.

:signduh: :crazy:
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Sign and Trade Randall Cobb for WR Andre Johnson.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

you forgot to add all the smiley faces and lol thingies. Someone might think you are serious.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I think the production Randall Cobb has given can be had by other contributors for a less impact on the salary cap. If Cobb is going to cost a team over $12 million per year, then I do not want that team to be the Packers. That is not a knock on Cobb and I do think the Packers are better off with him.

I rate Bryan Bulaga higher on the priority list because if your quarterback doesn't have time to throw the ball, it doesn't matter if you Jerry Rice, Sterling Sharpe and Don Hutson all in their prime running around.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
1: Check
2: Check
3: ... ruh oh
UserPostedImage
porky88
  • porky88
9 years ago

1: Check
2: Check
3: ... ruh oh

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The Jaguars cut Red Bryant today. The Pack had interest last year. I loved him in Seattle. Admittedly, I didn't watch much of him in Jacksonville but all signs indicate he still plays very good run defense. I think he might be a name to watch.

Terrance Knighton is still available. He's reportedly out of shape, though.

I think the linebacker situation will solve itself in the draft.

In other words, I think the Packers are executing a pretty good offseason plan. :cheers:
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (2h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (23h) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.