nerdmann
9 years ago

If I were a NFL player in his position, I would always go for the max contract with the guaranteed money. You never know if you'll make it to any age playing this game. I'd want to protect my future and my bank account. As a player, you have to have the mindset that no matter where you go that you can help make them a contender.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

That's true, but a QB like Aaron can make you look better than you might playing with, for example, Jay Cutler.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
I'm with Darkane on this.

I've never had a million dollars. Barring some bizarre Powerball luck, I never will. Certainly, I'll never have anyone willing to pay me a million dollars to do anything.

But if I were in a position that one employer was willing to pay $1 million more to me than another (or $5 million if it were in LA or NYC), I'd do it in a shot.

I wouldn't even work for Jessica Biel if she were offering $1 million less.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
GermanGilbert
9 years ago

I'm with Darkane on this.

I've never had a million dollars. Barring some bizarre Powerball luck, I never will. Certainly, I'll never have anyone willing to pay me a million dollars to do anything.

But if I were in a position that one employer was willing to pay $1 million more to me than another (or $5 million if it were in LA or NYC), I'd do it in a shot.

I wouldn't even work for Jessica Biel if she were offering $1 million less.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I've never had a million dollar (Euros for me) either and also probably never will. But even without a million dollar I'm happy and I have enough money to live a good life. Those guys already earned more than a million at the age of 24 or 25, so they will not end up in poverty as I won't either. Life is far far more than money and if I had to choose between $9.000.000/yr and a decent chance to win my first ring or a career at 12.000.000 without a ring, I'd take option 1 24/7.

blank
DoddPower
9 years ago

I've never had a million dollar (Euros for me) either and also probably never will. But even without a million dollar I'm happy and I have enough money to live a good life. Those guys already earned more than a million at the age of 24 or 25, so they will not end up in poverty as I won't either. Life is far far more than money and if I had to choose between $9.000.000/yr and a decent chance to win my first ring or a career at 12.000.000 without a ring, I'd take option 1 24/7.

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

I wouldn't blame Cobb or anything else in any way if those choose to leave for more money. I might not agree with it and it might not be the decision I would make, but I can't blame them at all. Every practice and every game may be the last snap of football these players will ever have. I can fully understand why some players are all about maximizing their money while they're hot.

I think most players would take slightly less to stay with an elite team/quarterback. But a million or three dollars is a ton of money. But it goes more beyond the money too. It also involves respect, potential role on the team, agent pressure, location and market potential, weather, dynamics of the teams, the list goes on and on. Many of the same decisions we are faced with in our careers, but just magnified. It's complicated.
sschind
9 years ago

I was attempting to put myself in the shoes of a professional football player who plays wide receiver. Players by and large do not think like fans do, and team loyalty is almost a non-factor in the salary cap era, although I know it can certainly be present at times.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I agree on the subject of loyalty. Teams do not show loyalty when their best interests are at stake we should not expect players to show it either. And I don't mean for that to sound negative like it does. As fans we certainly shouldn't expect players to have the same feelings towards out favorite team as we do. It is just a job for many of them and as difficult as it may be for us Packer fans to believe playing for the Green Bay Packers may not be the ultimate goal for many players. Warm weather, A chance to play for your favorite childhood team, income tax, family, as well as those things Dodd mentioned in the quote below all factor in.

I wouldn't blame Cobb or anything else in any way if those choose to leave for more money. I might not agree with it and it might not be the decision I would make, but I can't blame them at all. Every practice and every game may be the last snap of football these players will ever have. I can fully understand why some players are all about maximizing their money while they're hot.

I think most players would take slightly less to stay with an elite team/quarterback. But a million or three dollars is a ton of money. But it goes more beyond the money too. It also involves respect, potential role on the team, agent pressure, location and market potential, weather, dynamics of the teams, the list goes on and on. Many of the same decisions we are faced with in our careers, but just magnified. It's complicated.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I would not hold it against them either. Rather I would hold it against the team for not ponying up the extra million to keep a guy like that (maybe not an extra 3)

Like I said before, I have the luxury of saying I would be all for the team yadda yadda because I will never be forced to back up my words. I do know that I could most likely do all the things I want to do in life just as easily with 9 million as I could with 12 so for me, commenting as a non NFL player, I wouldn't be so quick to take the money. I am by no means saying anyone should have my same feelings.

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Do not expect Randall Cobb to sign with the Packers before 3pm this Saturday.

After 3pm Saturday Cobb's agent will be able to freely negotiate a contract with another team, even though Cobb cannot sign until March 10th with another team.

If no other team offers a significant increase of the Packers offer, Cobb will resign with the Packers prior to March 10th.

If Cobb is not resigned by the 10th, he will not be returning to the Packers.

What do you think about this?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Just pointing out I had this several days ago before the "main" media picked up on it. :)

UserPostedImage
greengold
9 years ago
According to Gil Brandt, Randall is already out the door.

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Guess my information was accurate after all. Cobb has re-signed with Packers.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Cobb was being offered upwards of $11-12 million from teams that will not be in contention next year. Instead, he took a smaller contract to come back to his home team. Why can't people be happy about that?

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Hey man, look what I said several days ago and it looks like that is what happened. I am happy, for Randall and the Packers and Aaron. :whipitgoo

If I am Jimmy Sexton, this is my plan for Randall Cobb. With Cobb just 24 years old he should take a deal around three or four years for something like $25-$32 million. He'll then hit free agency in his prime, with a ring and having had several more years of elite quarterback play which collectively speaking will undoubtedly make him a rich man.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

UserPostedImage
dhazer
8 years ago
Just wanted to open this back up seeing we have a thread about trading Cobb one year after we resigned him
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.