nerdmann
9 years ago

His value has only skyrocketed in the wake of a breakthrough 2014 campaign in which he had career-highs in receptions (91), receiving yards (1,287) and touchdowns (12).

PackersNews  wrote:

PFT  also has a take.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago
They might let him walk because he might cost more than they are willing to pay to keep him. It doesn't need to get any more in depth than that.

It all comes down to money and their idea of keeping the cap under control so lets leave it that and quit looking for excuses as to why they might let him go.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Choosing Jordy over Randall was really the height of foolishness with the age disparity and the talent comparability.

Now, they get to right the wrong... let Peppers go so you can keep RC18. Why rent a grizzled veteran that literally could be worthless this season due to rapid decline at his age and watch a budding young star walk when your only other proven WR is guy who is hitting the age of decline for his position very soon?

The ONLY logical reason I could see them letting him go is the belief they have something special in Jeff Janis.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

Choosing Jordy over Randall was really the height of foolishness with the age disparity and the talent comparability.

Now, they get to right the wrong... let Peppers go so you can keep RC18. Why rent a grizzled veteran that literally could be worthless this season due to rapid decline at his age and watch a budding young star walk when your only other proven WR is guy who is hitting the age of decline for his position very soon?

The ONLY logical reason I could see them letting him go is the belief they have something special in Jeff Janis.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I'm not sure how releasing Peppers works into the argument. It is not that we run a risk of Cap Space that somehow releasing Peppers solves. The issue is the number and overpaying. You overpay for Cobb and then the trickle effect does happen when you sign the next guy.

The fact of the matter is Cobb just may not be that interested in us. As sad as that is to hear that may also be the truth.

Also the team may be comfortable with what they have if Cobb leaves and their gameplan.

It is not like Adams, Abby, and Janis are duds. We may even dip into the Free market. We may draft Maxx Williams and severely upgrade our TE position.

Not signing Cobb is not doom and gloom.

buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Another Ted Thompson screw up.

You!re still as entertaining as ever.
Still a week left for something to get done.
Even after that the door is not closed.

Considering your past evaluations of player talents and Ted Thompson's decisions, I think I will wait and see what happens.

I think players appreciate the fact that Ted let's them explore Free Agency.

In the end, Ted usually gets his man.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

The Packers have over $30 million in salary cap space. They do not need to release anyone to retain Randall Cobb. If Cobb is offered something significantly more than the Packers are willing to pay, that's the breaks. You do not jeopardize your teams future for a player who isn't a quarterback.

Don't be surprised if Cobb is resigned with the Packers this time next week.

And then there this.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Also the team may be comfortable with what they have if Cobb leaves and their gameplan.

It is not like Adams, Abby, and Janis are duds. We may even dip into the Free market. We may draft Maxx Williams and severely upgrade our TE position.

Not signing Cobb is not doom and gloom.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Comfortable with what they have? That is a very scary thought to me.

I saw enough from Adams to think you may be right but I have no idea what you saw in either Janis or Abbredaris, other than false logic "Ted drafted them so they will be good" to say they are not duds. They may not be duds but I have seen nothing that tells me one way or the other and I don't take Mike McCarthy comments about Janis as any sort of confirmation because he said the same thing about Boykin the year before.

We MAY draft a guy that is better than Jimmy Graham or we MAY sign a FA that turns out to be even better than Cobb or Adams and Janis and Abby MAY step up but I would be much more comfortable with our situation knowing we didn't have to count on one or more of those things happening. It may not be doom and gloom but without a doubt it weakens our WR group and I don't see how anyone can argue that it doesn't (not that you were but some people think it won't make any difference) The argument is is the amount it weakens our WR group offset by continuity we retain in the cap. IMO that will depend on the difference between what we offer that he turned down and what he gets. 3 million a year maybe, 1 million, NO WAY. If he signs somewhere else for 10 million a year I will think it was a big mistake to let him go. If he signs for more than that I'll be fine with the decision to let him go.

warhawk
9 years ago

The logical reason and ONLY reason they will let him go is if another teams pays him too much money. Peppers is not the problem. You don't change the way you do business for one guy. The Packers have $32 million THIS year for three reasons the way I see it. First, because of how Ted Thompson handles the cap. Second, because the league increased the cap $10 mil. Third, because Ted cut Hawk and Jones.
IMO league increases do no good because all teams get that and it just puts that much more in all cofers and in part why Cobb is sitting where he is today. What did the cap increase do for cap poor teams? Nothing. Other cap wealthy teams are going to scoop up all the players and the cap poor teams can't compete with them. Not when it comes to FA. It may help a team extend a player or two or whatever.

The Packers were also fortunate that they could cut two players that weren't playing much at the end of the year and needed to go and happened to put a good chunk of change back in the till. That's not going to happen every year. If they don't watch what they do or Ted changes the way he works they could very easily be stuck having to cut guys they absolutely don't want to let go.

Oh but we got $32 million. Well yeah they do but I think for the reasons I stated above there's a little false sense of securtiy going on around here. Fortunately Ted won't get caught up that. Cobb isn't signing a contract for $11 or $12 million. It's going to be closer to $50 million. Keep that in mind while also keeping in mind there are other players needed to be resigned, some that they will want to extend (Daniels for one) and that list of players that will come up next year and the following year as well that will require more money to hold on to.

"The train is leaving the station."
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
I am afraid Randall may be listening to his agent who is going for a big number contract that will be back loaded.
Signing bonus and guaranteed money are the only money's that count for the player.
The agent, on the other hand gets his percentage of the total contract!
Also known as "window dressing " money.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Honestly, the Packers are going to let a 24 year old...a TWENTY FOUR YEAR OLD proven star just walk because of an extra mil or two average per season? Really? Draft, develop, depart? What we're going to end up with is a mediocre team once again carried by it's QB because we're only going to draft, develop and hold onto guys who ain't studs. Sounds like one heckuva plan...just hold onto the guys you draft and develop who don't prove to be special players...just middling talents like Don Barclay.

If we were going to give Jennings money as much or more as we're willing to give Randall that many years ago it is beyond insane to not pay a much younger star player than Greg was. 3 years ago we were going to give big money to an aging WR much like we did with Jordy. Now, we're not going to give it to a YOUNG stud and with the cap increase from the time Greg got his big offer?

You guys can set up your excuses all you'd like for Ted Thompson in advance... if he lets Randall walk that is a terrible move despite any spin you'd like to put on it. If we have plenty of room as you all insist we do...which I don't buy one bit considering they have to sign BB, DH, etc.

For the love of...set Tramon free and we'd be swimming in cap space. NO REASON to let Randall get away so we can pay old vets who are declining and I don't care about this...TT has a number garbage.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.